Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They are in my notebook Kenny

3. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

That’s about right - we will still be closely aligned to the EU for over a year. The difference is we won’t have any say in any laws that they decide to pass.

So much for taking back control!<laugh>

Put it this way if Theresa May had come up with this deal (95% of it is hers anyway) Boris himself wouldn’t have even voted for it!

4. bayernkenny

The top one used to be situated in a boozy area of Munich; Hofbrauhaus, Weisses Brauhaus etc. One early evening after a particularly heavy session I was meandering about when I noticed two elegant Dirndl adorned burdz with trays of sparkly wine. Being a romantic wee c**t I approached them and, to my surprise, was offered a glass of Sekt and invited into Werner Sherer to enjoy some snacks and more 'pop'. The trap had been sprung and I was enticed into purchasing a 'one-off' ; Finnish winter coat lined and collared with two types of animal pelt. Anyway as the trip progressed and the bag remained in the corner of my hotel room I thought it best to let the contents remain a mystery until I returned home to 'Casa Cambie'. When I got home, had my few days recovery, I plucked up the courage to check the online banking; f**k me I had bought an item of clothing for Euros ****!!!!! They had at least thrown in a natty pair of leather gloves!

I still get e-mails with their latest deals; polos for Euros 200, chinos for Euros 300 and windcheaters for around Euros 800. Never been back!

LG likes this.
  5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Quite significant market movement overnight..

9424DACA-6C4B-4DBD-B7F7-FD35ACDFFC77.png

Bf punters now think the fat clown is home and hosed

LG likes this.
  6. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Just starting to understand this exchange thing now!

Archers Road likes this.
  7. Archers Road

The figures in bold are the best prices available. The figures below show how much is currently available to be matched at that price. If you want to bet more you have to wait to see if someone will lay you at the price (or any price you care to ask for)

There’s not a lot being bet into this market, about £111,000 matched so far this morning. Compared to over £2m matched on England vs Australia in the egg chasing

LG likes this.
  8. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Now that the ERG are all on board with the deal it looks as though it will pass.

now a 1/2 chance.
    I got 9/4 on the vote being passed by less than 10 votes yesterday.

however as I mentioned yesterday it will be all about the Letwin amendment today.
    The government are clearly rattled because they are now threatening to cancel the vote today if that passes!

9. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I cannot claim to have read the alterations that are in the Boris Deal, so I am only going by what I have read in the Telegraph and the Guardian. So I do not know whether taking this deal commits us to paying the whole divorce bill that May stupidly allowed in her BRINO desperation. I have to make an astonishing admission that I actually agree with Jeremy Corbyn about something: Boris has renegotiated a bad deal and made it worse.

As far as I am aware, no change was made to our ability (or inability) to strike non-EU trade deals before we have actually left, although presumably we can talk to other nations, arrange draft deals and sign them when we get out. My personal preference is for us to not rush into deals (especially one with the US) but just look to join existing arrangements where the terms work for us and the other parties will accept our accession. It is total fantasy to believe that we are going to conjure up twenty trade deals in quick order.

LG likes this.
  10. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Some thing to think about:

Pro-EU MPs may vote against the crap Johnson Deal because they do not want to leave, despite the EU being quite happy with this crap deal because it does the most to hurt a country that will become a rival.

So they are not really friends to the EU and they have not been friends to their constituents in many cases either. Will David Attenborough we doing the commentary on the night of the next General Election as many of these Remain wildebeest are torn to shreds by the Brexit lions?

11. bayernkenny

Boo-Hoo-Hoo ..... Sainsbury's Travel Money services have taken 'defensive' action to take account of this afternoon's vote (if in fact it takes place) ...... they have struck a rate of Euros 1.111 to £1.00.

My master plan has been sabotaged!:emoticon-0132-envy::emoticon-0132-envy::emoticon-0132-envy:

12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Business investment stagnating. Consumer spending starting to fall. Economic growth starting to grind to a halt. The stockmarket starting to slow down...

You would think I was telling you some Project Fear economist’s Brexit forecasts but in fact this is nothing to do with Brexit. This is what Donald Trump’s Trade War with China is doing to the USA.

Trump has been slapping tariffs on imports from China but who is that actually hurting? The tariffs are paid by the Americans when they buy goods imported from China. So America is losing out although China is obviously seeing exports to the USA fall. China are not the only ones losing out as many of the electronic gadgets that they sell to the USA are assembled in China but core parts come from other Asian economies such as Japan, Malaysia and Vietnam.

In retaliation, China has done two things: firstly it has put tariffs on some key imports from the USA; and secondly it has reduced tariffs on goods being imported from elsewhere. The Chinese have been a lot smarter because they have stopped importing some products from the USA and sourced the products from other nations for whom it has agreed tariff reductions. For example, imports of soybeans from the USA have plummeted – bad news for the American farmers that produce them – whilst imports of soybeans from Argentina and Brazil have rocketed as the import tariff from South America is 3 per cent whilst it is 28 per cent from the USA. Burn down some more rainforest; we need the space to grow more soybeans!

There is something strange to be noted in this Chinese action because the totalitarian regime is having to apply Capitalist principals of market forces, lowering tariffs to encourage the rest of the world to export to them in place of the USA. On the American side of this Trade War, the principals of the free market have been thrown out with the bath water. Trump is having to make billions of dollars of handouts to the farmers to compensate for their loss of exports; and at the same time American consumers and businesses are shelling out billions of dollars more because of tariffs imposed by The Donald.

Whichever economists are advising Trump on this Trade War are doing a really bad job because forecasts by the Congressional Budget Office (economists that are not on the Trump team) are that if he keeps going the USA will end up $160bn down next year with GDP improving by $390bn not $550bn.

LG and bayernkenny like this.
  13. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

You might look a bit stupid later today.
    The odds have now totally changed and an extension is 1/2 clear favourite.
    This isn’t over yet!

14. Archers Road

<laugh>Later today ?

Couldn’t resist that, sorry

Toby and rudebwoy like this.
  15. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

King of the Jockanese Ian Blackford repeating the mantra that "Scotland voted remain" <doh>

Doesn't this totally disenfranchise over 1 million people who voted leave in Scotland?
    Doesn't this say the decision of the majority is the only thing that matters?

Well guess what buddy, you're still part of the United Kingdom and the United Kingdom voted to leave so stop ****ing bleating on.

Talk about wanting your cake and eating it. The majority of a minority <doh>

Attached Files:

16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I thought that you brainwashed Remain sheep were supposed to be on a million-strong protest outside Parliament? Obviously the million forecast is evidence (as always) so no need for anyone to make a massively inflated crowd size estimate or, indeed, for the Remainers to actually bother showing up – just like they did not in 2016, apparently, because Remain was in the bag – they thought it was over then.

Do remind me what odds Remain was on the eve of the Referendum in 2016. I think it might have been shorter than 1/2.

17. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Whatever happens today it looks good for Boris. The shortest serving PM in history?

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

TransferWise offering 1.16117 at present Kenny

19. bayernkenny

Sainsbury's shut down!

Closed my account with Deutsche Bank about 18 months ago!

20. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Whatever happens with Brexit I hope the DUP get royally ****ed <laugh>

bayernkenny likes this.