Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

force a request for an extension - no court (not even a Scottish one) can tell the EU what to do. I'd suggest there would need to be a very clear, logical and viable reason for requesting that extension.

QuarterMoonII likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oops. Boris breaking the law again?

PM's new Brexit deal with EU faces challenge in Scottish court

Extract

Lawyers for Maugham will tell the court on Friday morning the deal contravenes section 55 of the Taxation (Cross-border Trade) Act 2018, which states that it is “unlawful for Her Majesty’s government to enter into arrangements under which Northern Ireland forms part of a separate customs territory to Great Britain”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brex...-in-scottish-court/ar-AAIYnJ6?ocid=spartanntp

3. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

And all those workers at Asda who’ve been told to change their ts and cs or face the sack. Where’s their union?

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Right-winger John Baron, said that Mr Johnson’s deal was “a fundamental improvement” on Theresa May’s rejected agreement precisely because “what it means is ... if there’s no deal struck in the transition period up to December 2020, the UK has the right, with the Northern Ireland provisions in place, to leave on no deal terms”.

I give up trying to understand what is going on. We may be no better off tomorrow

5. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Yeah this is the kicker that gets the ERG on board

6. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

You can't please everyone Steveo unfortunately and after all this time it's about time people realised this and accepted it as a deal most could probably live with. If it gets through I shall be having a toast to Boris.

It allows the U.K more freedom. I don't see how it makes Rees-Mogg etc richer.. I think that is just nonsense. He probably doesn't need the money anyway..

I m sure you 'll keep us updated though with how you 'll be a lot poorer should the deal be signed or should that be any slight negative impact on you will be the fault of Brexit.. :emoticon-0105-wink:

7. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

The irony of it – a member of the brainwashed Remain cult calling the Brexiteers a brainwashed cult. <doh>

I knew what I voted for and it was not three years of being stitched up for BRINO. I am not in favour of the Boris Deal because it is just a reheated version of the rubbish May Deal.

You have won this week’s award for the stupidest statement with the line “The only way to get Brexit done is to stop it” since stopping it will not be Brexit and will just lead to years of us destroying the EU from within, if it does not collapse on its own. Your empire-building buddy Guy Verhofstadt was calling for a European Army again today: would you like to see the British Army controlled by Belgium or France?

We will have no trouble finding a couple of the country’s brainwashed cults on Saturday. There will be the fabricated count of a million of you outside Parliament waving your EU flags and there will be the Far Left cult inside on the opposition benches ignoring four million of their voters trying to get a second referendum (including votes for EU citizens and sixteen year olds) but not wanting the electoral oblivion of a General Election that they have been calling for the last two years. Who knows, the other brainwashed cult, Extinction Rebellion, might turn up too – the anarchists will probably stay away from the Underground after a beating on Thursday.

Ironic today to see that Leave EU had knocked together an image with Churchill’s El Alamein words: “Now this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning”. They are telling MPs to vote through this deal because this is a long war with battles to come before December 2020.

8. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Back in 2016, you were doubtless still reading the Project Fear playbook and expecting everything to come crashing down on 24th June. It did not. Employment went up. The economy has been doing better than most of the EU. Inward investment went up (admittedly partly fuelled by the devaluation of Sterling). GDP has risen. The stockmarkets are up. From an economic point of view, another three years of Brexit stalemate would be good although ultimately self-defeating. Strange how well this miserable little island nation has been doing despite all those forecasts by economists, who know everything but have short memories when asked when they were last wrong. Doom-mongers very easily manipulated.

9. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Certainly dumbed down while the likes of you still live here. <laugh>

10. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Wise words

11. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Failed former Prime Minister and Remainer Jock Gordon Brown now reckons that Labour policy should be to propose a renegotiated Remain.

So the anti-Semitic Marxists are going to march into Brussels and demand that the EU does everything the way Comrade Corbyn wants it done. Free pardons for terrorists. Collectivisation of all European industries with the workers put in charge. All wealth confiscated from the middle classes and the rich for redistribution to the great unwashed to squander. Open borders to the whole planet, inviting all of Africa and the Levant to come and live in the communes.

Yet another deluded Remainer – part of the problem originally, not the cure – who still thinks this is all about little Englanders harking back to the days of Empire, keeping Johnny Foreigner in his place and making sure that the sun is over the yardarm before breaking out the drink.

Failed former Prime Minister and Remainer Cameron renegotiated with Brussels and look where it got him...

12. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Deal goes through now 11/10

13. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I do not think that rudebwoy, Archers Road, Toby, Steveo and bayernkenny will be too concerned about the US sticking tariffs on £5,500 suits being bought by rich Americans. And Trump does not shop on Savile Row, he wears any cheap suit that nearly fits.

14. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Have you seen where Trump is hosting the next G7 summit? That boy is a genius.

15. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

QM a question - is the Johnson deal (which I would call May-minus-backstop) not just a first step towards the UK extricating itself from the spider's web of the EU? I think this has to be an iterative process and it is important to take the first step.

LG likes this.
  16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Nicely summed up by Steve Bell
    please log in to view this image

LG likes this.
  17. LG

LG Well-Known Member

This is certainly how I would have sold it to the ERG and as far as I can see it's true.

18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

More misinformation from the brainwashed Remain cult...

Have you completely misread what Letwin is proposing to do in your fevered Remain state?

Oliver Letwin has no authority to force an extension. Under Article 50, control over that resides solely with the Brussels Politburo. Since Boris is required to send the Benn Law letter tomorrow unless a deal is agreed, phrases involving horses and stable doors come to mind. Does Letwin want him to send it twice? Once by carrier pigeon, once by racing tortoise?

19. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Yes, this is just an agreement to start transition agreement talks; although I think it does tie us in to starting paying the £39bn (or whatever the current estimate).

The only bit that has been seriously reworked is the Irish backstop bit (where Boris has sold the DUP down the river). The other significant change that Boris is hoping will get the ERG onside is that it has been changed so that we can still walk away with no deal at the end of the transition period if the government at that time deems that what is on the table is not worth having.

OddDog and LG like this.
  20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Does walking away at the end of 2020 with no deal, have any affect on how much of the Divorce Bill we pay?

This seems almost like an extension with us being able to make trade deals and pay £39bn (or £33bn) for the privilege