Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What Brexiteers will not accept is that this is the tail wagging the dog. About 1/3 of the population want out so the other 2/3 must agree. I fail to comprehend how democracy demands that we leave with no deal

If it is so simple, please go and put your case in Parliament and maybe everyone will vote for whatever you say

To put it bluntly, Parliament will not agree and, more importantly, the people will not agree. I think somewhere along the line you have redefined the word democracy

2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Over 2/3 of the population did not vote to remain Ron - so we clearly shouldn’t be doing that.

3. stick

stick Bumper King

100% of the population are now bored ****less by Brexit

Chaninbar and Ron like this.
  4. OddDog

Staff Member

Amen to that.
    Worse than bloody Eastenders

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's more complicated than that Oddy

6. OddDog

Staff Member

<laugh> <ok>

7. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

That was the result of the referendum so thst result must be carried through in a democratic society. Who cares what the alleged position is now. Everyone knew the rules it was pretty clear...

We don't just change them based on what people think now or in say another 5 years time..why do people complicate things so much?

The only reason this has not happened is because of Mps and the incompetence of May who wanted to remain and her negotiating stance (or lack of one)..

8. stick

stick Bumper King

That is a total nonsense Wetherspoon drinker comment re May. Regardless of her stance on the subject she tried valiantly to get as good a deal as possible.
    What the **** could she have done any better. Everything she tried was undermimed by half her own party and all of the opposition.
    When politicians should have come together for the good of the nation they chose to try furthering their own careers instead.
    The fact that you might end up with her deal speaks volumes.

You get my vote for most idiotic sun reader comment of the year.

Chaninbar likes this.
  9. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Hardly worth the effort trying to correct brainwashed EU/Remain sheep like you who know virtually nothing at all about how the EU operates but ignorantly follow the Project Fear handbook down the path to subservience.

The May deal is not Brexit. It was never intended to be. The EU cannot be reformed so it is not going to come up with a deal that is acceptable. Neither side is going to compromise sufficiently for the other to accept. Therefore, there cannot be a deal. Which part of ‘No Deal’ are you struggling to understand?

When No Deal proves to be catastrophic (as all Remainers sing from the same hymn sheet), the EU may be a little more interested in coming to a deal as European jobs are lost on both sides of the Channel. Perhaps that is where we should have started – they would not have wasted three years on a red herring Irish backstop then.

After a General Election, there can be no Remain coalition because the rag-tag bunch of outcasts that is the Lib Dems will not work with the Marxists despite all the current waffle about ‘governments of national unity’ (no such thing). This leaves the only possible coalition between the Tories and the Brexit Party, if they have enough seats to command a majority, which I suspect will not be the case.

In reality, the country has become ungovernable thanks to our recalcitrant undemocratic Parliament, so a General Election could well solve nothing.

10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

That's alright then.

11. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Had to put ‘Nie’ in Google translator to confirm that is Donald Tusk on the right... are the crusties glued to that couch?

please log in to view this image

12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

If Parliament had enacted the original Referendum result and left, they could have held a General Election and those parties that still wanted to be in the EU could have campaigned on a promise to rejoin. If the electorate were so desperate to rejoin the sinking ship, they could have voted to do so. Who knows, some parties might even have put in a pledge to rejoin the EU but on renegotiated terms – if they could get anything off the Brussels Politburo.

Ever since the day that Remain lost, the sheep have done nothing but bleat about having a second vote whilst Parliament has refused to implement the result of the first one. Why vote if they are going to ignore the result when they do not like it? Parliament has become an exact image of the totally undemocratic European Union.

What about a Referendum on executing the Westminster 650 on Tower Hill? Two options: hanging or beheading.

13. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Billions of euros of EU funds misspent last year: auditors

News of the latest report from the European Court of Auditors – the people who theoretically do the accounts at the EU – and the swindlers’ paradise has really lined some pockets this year.

It would seem that €4 billion disappeared down the back of sofas from Brussels and Strasbourg in 2018.

I know someone who works for a big accountancy firm that worked on the audits in Brussels and he said lots of it went on consultants who did nothing but claim expenses for meetings all over Europe.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Let me just get this clearly understood. So what we are saying is that we should have just invoked A50 and waited until the leave date. No negotiating at all, just good-bye. Well that sounds simple enough. I wonder what uproar that would have created

So when Cameron resigned where was Johnson? He didn't even stand for PM. Why was that? He would have been PM then on the promise to get us out asap - surely. He didn't fancy the job. He's much better at back stabbing. Now here he is with that nasty piece of work Cummings, ruffling feathers. What a ****ing hero. Brexiteers must be proud of their PM (or Cummings' puppet) and really proud of the LeaveEU racist mob

Cameron regrets his stupid referendum pledge but, having made it, he should have seen it through. Gutless wonder. And to think I liked him as PM

I know I have said it before but the best thing they could do now is to Revoke A50, prepare properly and then say goodbye. And only being persuaded to stay by a legal agreement to reform the EU into something based more on friendship than dictatorship

My ideal EU membership is to treat it as a club. We pay a membership fee to obtain benefits of membership in accordance with our contribution. We help to subsidise poorer countries but we decide how much. We don't give the EU money for them to decide how much to give us back. And if we want to strike deals with other countries, we do just that

So, as I said, revoke A50. Continue as members until we are prepared to leave with no deal, then simply say if you change your direction and go along the lines outlined, we will stay; otherwise, Bye and this time we mean it. No negotiations.

15. stick

stick Bumper King

...and I thought my post was harsh <laugh>

Ron likes this.
  16. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Typical remoaners resort to petty name calling as we don't agree with your stance ! How do you know she valiantly tried to get the best deal going? What makes you think this?

She could have done plenty like kept no deal on the table from the start. I don't know how many times she changed her negotiating team but it wasn't convincing to me..to weak and didn't come across strong enough in my view and the whole of bloody Europe know she wanted to remain. No real drive to make concessions there needed..

I agree with you on the politicians feathering their own nest..but it's hardly surprising...Yet a lot of you remoaners cry about not being told the truth as if this is so surprising from politicians..

Can I just say you get my vote for having your head so far up your own arse it's not true....:)

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm fed up with it all stick <laugh>

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Some interesting voting going on tonight

19. stick

stick Bumper King

Remoaner again and you have the gall to call me out on name calling.

At least she took the job on. Where were your mates Nigel and Boris.....hiding from a proper battle like the cowards they are. Damn sure in years to come BJ will be saying, if only I had been given more time. Weasel of the highest order.

Archers Road likes this.
  20. stick

stick Bumper King

I would also say that the fact that the EU are not prepared to budge another inch, despite really not wanting a no deal, is a pretty good indicator that Mrs May bargained the best deal possible under the circumstances.

Mick Malones Mauser likes this.