Off Topic The Politics Thread (Previously the EU/Eurozone Chat thread)

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Yes, must be the quickest return of a murder suspect over international borders ever? Iraqi and Kurdish authorities are to be applauded for the speed in which they have responded to this extradition request.

2. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Euro pro quo!?!?!

SwanHills likes this.
  3. SwanHills

"G7: Fact checking Trump's tweets about trade."
    by Andrew Walker - BBC World Service economics correspondent:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-44438908

(All very difficult to fully understand for this particular dumb ass! …...but I'll read it all again later…..see if that helps…..doubt it" <doh> <laugh>)

Back to bed, good night! :emoticon-0113-sleep

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interesting news from USA this morning. My wife has recorded the action for me to look at later

5. bayernkenny

An economist who, on many of the recent disagreements on tariffs between the USA and other countries/trading blocks, agreed that Mr Trump had a point however stated that the President's statistics and contentions ignored two very important matters:

1. Mr Trump's figures completely ignored service industries.

2. You cannot control a populace's proclivity to spend their disposable income on goods as opposed to another's tendency to save a great portion of their disposable income. I would suggest the gentleman, whose name and position currently escapes me, could have been making a direct comparison between the 'average' American and the 'average' German.

As usual in global economic matters there are many shades of grey which 'El Presidente' does not or chooses not to recognise.

On a lighter matter I have just realised that Mr Trump is a man of 'big' adjectives and adverbs. My old English master at George Heriot's School (for Boys) would have covered the President's speeches and other output in red scribbles!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    SwanHills likes this.
  6. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

George Heriot's auldboy? Rugger Boy in Germany! Political correctness shows no balance with the nonsensical Oceans 8 how long before the women want it to be Beyonce 1st to step on the moon or Mrs Churchill to win the war over Nazi Germany <badger><badger><badger>

7. bayernkenny

Still cannot accept that 'tottie' are allowed to wear the navy blue!:emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::steam::steam:<party>

8. SwanHills

9. bayernkenny

10. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

11. SwanHills

OK, fine, but did you check Frau Merkel's findings? I certainly would not know where to start! :emoticon-0100-smile
    It is unfair and not quite right to take the Mickey before even investigating these claims.
    Good luck if you take it on, hear from you in about a month?
    I should add that I would doubt very much if Trump checks anything, he just tweets away like a bird in Springtime.

12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I see that mallafets123 has already answered the semantic point about the phrase on the bus said “could” not “would” be spent; however, the Remainers were sufficiently incompetent that they did not point out the real truth behind the bus slogan: once we leave the EU and stop paying them £50m a day (or whatever amount), we will also stop receiving some of it back as, for example, farm subsidies and, therefore, will have to pay some of that money directly to our farmers rather than having Brussels recycle it whilst at the same time using a big chunk of it to keep French farming in existence. So £50m for the NHS was a total fallacy. The person/people who dreamed up the slogan for the bus knew exactly how to combine the National Holy Grail with the EU issue to maximum effect.

Farage did advocate hard Brexit insofar as he said we should just walk away on day one and go to WTO rules; however, that is now starting to look the only tenable option. In the short term there will be pain for Britain but there will be greater pain for the EU who currently run a trading surplus with us.

Ultimately what would happen is that we would start importing cheaper goods from the rest of the world and this would force the EU to cut prices to compete, remove the tariffs to compete or both. Then people in Europe might wake up to the fact that this protectionist racket is making life more expensive for all of them.

13. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Young Comrade Jeremy is out on the bow of the ship, holding the fair maiden Diane out into the night sky. Second in command Marxist John is busy in the counting house hoping that the Magic Money Tree yields enough proceeds for the journey before those dastardly capitalists in the City realise that he lied to them. He stopped taking counting lessons from Diane and it still won’t add up.

Then there is a big crunch and a horrible groaning noise. It is not Diane that is causing the ship to go down by the bow and the noise was actually an iceberg. Above the surface were a few frozen-in-time loonies but beneath the waves a hard core of mutinous centrists.

The captain is horrified. He had given his commands and he is the absolute leader of the vessel. What has happened to the crew? Have a load of them been at the grog below decks? A bunch of the Scottish passengers have had enough and taken to the lifeboats.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What I fail to understand is that, if Europe will be worse off than us:
    1. Why don't we just go straight to WTO Rules?
    2. OK knowing that someone else will suffer more, doesn't reduce the suffering but, what is the cost of the suffering to Britain and how much would the money saved from walking away help to alleviate the problems?

It just seems so straight forward. Establish the net cost of walking away and do whatever is necessary to cope with the circumstances. It would need some believable projections to show when and by how much we would be better off. The usual, worst case, best case and most likely case scenarios. Why has this not been done, or has it?

It seems to me the government is trying to come up with something that won't cause any suffering. Not possible. Set the goals and get on with it

15. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

They will not go to WTO as most MPs are remainers, it is politics, they are trying everything possible to overturn and have another referendum, if they do not get that they want us hooked in as much as possible. The plebs really did throw a spanner in the works voting out.
    One of the big problems is is that May should be clear with the public and tell us what is going on, but then no political party of any colour ever does.

16. SwanHills

Exit from the Athens assistance programme:

"Greece receives one billion euros from rescue fund".

15.06.2018, 00:45 pm | Takis Tsafos, DPA, AJ

…………………………………..

<yikes> Please may I have some, as it seems to be a bottomless Well? However, glad to see this latest 'transaction' being described as 'Exit'. At ****ing last!

Now to Italy, how much do you need for starters? Don't worry we (the European Central Bank) have got loads of lolly, after all, we have an Italian in charge. Brexit? Oh forget it, that's just a minor problem. Trump? That too. Onwards to Utopia with the European Union. We only smoke the very best weed here on the mainland.

I do not wish to receive any Economics answers from our resident forum professors, as it will spoil my early morning pint of 'Spezial', and my interlude with Wiltshire Choice No.2 Weed too (new supply arrived at the Hauptbahnhof yesterday).

Thank you and good morning! <cheers> :emoticon-0176-smoke

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    bayernkenny likes this.
  17. bayernkenny

As usual your 'Letter from Bavaria' has triggered pleasant memories. Many happy 06.00 (and onwards) Weissbiers quaffed in the Hbf. outlet next to the 'Cambio' and Burger King at the Bayer Str. entrance!

Ho-hum!

SwanHills likes this.
  18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

The government has played this totally wrong right from the start. This was high stakes poker and we should have started from a position of “We are going to quit and go to WTO rules, what are you going to offer us?” They simply did not have the balls to do it. Instead they are mired in a Remainer conspiracy, aided and abetted by an intransigent Frenchman, Michel Barnier. Next time he mentions the Irish border we should drop him in the Irish Sea with a tin of red paint so he can mark it out for us.

Given the economic factors at stake, one might have expected the Westminster Establishment as a collective to get together on this but the leaderless Labour Party have changed policy every five minutes and a third of their MPs defied the useless fantasist the other night and voted for whatever they fancied when the real official policy is do nothing because there is political capital to be made in watching the Tories fail even if you have no credible policy of your own.

We do export a lot to Europe and going to WTO rules would instantly make some of our exports more expensive to them, which could cost jobs through loss of business. We should just cut the EU out of this altogether and tell Mrs Merkel that German cars are about to become ten per cent more expensive in the UK, so how many automotive jobs is she happy to lose through lower sales or cutting their prices to compensate. This has become like the Monty Python Black Knight sketch but with everyone limbless.

Watching This Week last night, Anthony ‘AC’ Grayling made the most pathetic argument going for stopping Brexit altogether and when Michael Portillo started to dismantle his arguments, Andrew Neil had to step in and stop it descending into a slanging match as Grayling continually interrupted.

19. SwanHills

Question:

Trump is getting tough with China on tariffs as we saw today, but, heck it owes China billions**, right? So, what happens if China says sod all this and 'calls' the debt? No way the US can pay, just no way. So, what happens, nothing I guess, just a red face for the US? No use Trump trying to borrow it from the Deutsche Bank either, or TSB...………<laugh>

**($1.8 trillion as of March 2018).
    "As of September 2014, foreigners owned $6.06 trillion of U.S. debt, or approximately 47% of the debt held by the public of $12.8 trillion and 34% of the total debt of $17.8 trillion. The largest holders were China, Japan, Belgium, the Caribbean banking centers, and oil exporters."
    -Wikipedia.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Ron likes this.
  20. SwanHills