1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic OLOF's political thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by MIGHTY, Oct 1, 2017.

?

Should there be a second Brexit vote

1. Yes

30.3%
  2. No

58.8%
  3. Dont know

0.8%
  4. Its too late

1.7%
  5. Ell rulz

0.8%
  6. couldnt give a fook

6.7%
  7. Will WJ ever see whats hitting him smack in the face

1.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You're running scared and offering the same stuff over and over again. I try to avoid these sort of debates but your continual defeatist drivel is quietley pissing me off.

There's far too much concentration being placed upon manufactured goods in and out of this country and the resultant tariffs in the case of a no deal scenario. You can't ignore the probable impact of that, but the fact is this country's strength is in the service sector, financial services and technical expertise in numerous fields such as international consultancies, IT exploitation as well as oil and mineral exploration around the world.

Apart from the pure scare mongering and thinly veiled threats about the degradation of the UK's position as the epicentre of European financial trade, none of these prime sources of income would be diminished through non membership of the EU - in fact they would more than likely be enhanced.

Yes, there would be major adjustments in re-establishing manufactured goods arrangements in and out of the country, but that's hardly an impossible task to undertake. It all smacks of another Neville Chamberlian moment again. This time it's Teresa May effectively getting off the plane and waving the paper - all 585 pages of it - and declaring "peace in our time". We all know what happened to that last effort by a **** scared weak PM.

This country needs leadership to take it forward. It's not going to come from the present encumbant, and if it were a change of government, the most likey alternative in Corbyn doesn't bear thinking about. We'd not just suffer under the present "appeasement" policies of the current regime, we'd go backwards into the last century.

2. Ringo Lion

Ringo Lion Pumpkin

A lot more prepared?, they are falling apart at the seams, Hungary, Poland and Austria are defying them at every turn, Greece,Ireland and Italy are only hanging around because they are being bailed out due to being a failed economy, Belgium is almost a Islamic state, France and Germany is about to implode, they are trying every trick in the book to keep the gravy train going, they need us!!!, their survival depends on it.

3. lifecheshirewhite

No Boris is nearly as daft as you 2

4. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

No collusion

5. 2020VisionofLeeds

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

6. dbc

dbc Well-Known Member

Confronting reality is not defeatist and if I'm repeating myself again and again it's because the same lack of answers keeps coming up again and again.

But I do agree with you on the fact that service industries definitely should not be ignored. Far too much has been made on regaining control of fishing when it contributes 1.2 billion but not enough has been said about the games industry which contributes nearly 3 billion and by their estimation would be devastated by No Deal Brexit. https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...ould-devastate-uk-gaming-industry-says-report

Financial services are going to be greatly affected by losing passporting rights - find me a major financial institution who supports Brexit? Will all financial services collapse, of course not, will a lot relocate around Europe - they already have started https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-b...ces-jobs-to-leave-by-brexit-day-idUKKCN1MK11S

Service industries are going to be affected by the lack of freedom of movement for getting employees, for the restaurant industry if food supply chains are threatened and in general if the economy is hit then the need for service jobs will be reduced.

The comparison with Neville Chamberlain is all that is wrong with Brexit - appealing to the notion that we are in a war and will return to our post war glory, Europe is our enemy to be defeated singularly by plucky England. We are walking away from our biggest trading partners and friends for what?

7. 2020VisionofLeeds

Blue passports?

8. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

I've got 5 of those trouble is they all have a corner missing :(

9. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Think I'll get myself a nice green one next time. <whistle>

dbc likes this.
  10. 2 pennth

<laugh>:emoticon-0148-yes:

11. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Don't normally do the political commentary thing but it looks like calling the VONC is the greatest example of Tories shooting themselves in the foot since May called the last general election. <laugh>

12. 2 pennth

They are always doing it, been going on as long as I can remember but if they are not very carefull they won't have a party to elect a leader for, but then again they won't be in power so it doesn't even matter.

13. davy

davy Well-Known Member

If May wins, which looks likely, the ERG can't challenge her again for a year. <doh> Good idea to force the vote then.

And who the feck would want the job in current circumstances anyway? <doh>

As Groucho once said, "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club which would have me as a member". <laugh>

2 pennth likes this.
  14. lifecheshirewhite

Hold on a while,mrs May will get you all one <whistle>

15. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Davy it's because May is a ****

OLOF likes this.
  16. 2 pennth

What do you mean who the feck would want the job, the place is full of idiots with overblown ego's, they have been proving this for years.<steam>

17. davy

davy Well-Known Member

What's really scary Essex, it's this shower or comrade Jeremy. <yikes>

2 pennth, OLOF and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  18. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Even if she scrapes through she's toast and has lost what little authority she had.

Time for Rees-Mogg

19. dbc

dbc Well-Known Member

I guess the real question will be how much she wins by and if she wins big 200-250+ will the ERG shut up or will they then take it out on her deal

20. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

A remainer **** at that, she was probably over there yesterday getting back scuttled by Druncker and co whilst negotiating her gold plated EU pension with the unelected bastards

FORZA LEEDS likes this.