1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Paul Hurst how long do we give him thread

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Aug 22, 2018.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

I thought I better start one now as the clamor for him to go will be increasing the longer we go without a win!

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Pathetic

San Diego and Nuggets like this.
  3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Four games into the season, Jesus wept.

San Diego likes this.
  4. johnnywarksmoustache

Yes I agree its not really Paul Hurst who is to blame it is our invisible tight arsed owner who has recruited someone on the cheap who is out of his depth!

The club is in a complete shambles!

5. Bigalreigned

Yeah,the U23s only managed to score 8 earlier in the week<doh>

6. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I thought I'd accidentally logged in to TWTD when I saw this thread :emoticon-0145-shake

We've actually played ok for the most part, just lack a bit of quality (and balance in our formation and system)

You mean the League 1 manager of the year? Someone who has earned his opportunity to manage in this league having earned his stripes in Non league, League 2 and then League 1. Who would you have rather we appointed.. Grayson, McClaren, Pardew or even Gerard or Lampard?

itfcptc likes this.
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

That's up to Marcus Evans. It would only make sense to replace him with a heavyweight like Allardyce or Bruce who are on big wages and give them a massive transfer budget. And that is still no guarantee of Premier League football and is not how I want the club run.

I will get frustrated, angry, upset, disappointed when we lose but I would much rather the fabric of the club was right and we build things in the right way - no matter how painful - rather than compromise.

Paul Hurst has got my backing until he decides he can't do the job - or until Evans decides it. We are miles and miles away from that at this point.

8. johnnywarksmoustache

Yeah the league 1 manager of the year who failed to get his team promoted in the play off final and lost to a lower league side in a Wembley cup final. <ok>

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Mick the Messiah never lost to a lower league side in the Cup did he Warky?

10. johnnywarksmoustache

Not sure why you are bringing Mick into this Hampy! You seem obsessed by him!

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0137-clapp

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  12. johnnywarksmoustache

I have been following and supporting Town for over 40 years and I have to say that this must be the worst team we have ever had in terms of quality!

13. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

They were widely tipped to go down. Hence why he won Manager of the Year, they massively overachieved and narrowly missed out on promotion. We can't dismiss his achievements there so willingly.

itfcptc likes this.
  14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don't agree at all. We somehow went for years without a proper goalkeeper or right back. McCarthy to his credit had depth up front but not really quality after Murphy left. We need another centre back at least but apart from that the defence looks solid enough. Nolan and Edwards look like very good players. The forwards have been feeding off scraps so far.

All of our worst sides of the last 60 years have been in the Evans era and no this side is not comparable to the best of those but it could be the bridge between coming out of that era of the worst sides and having another great side in a few years' time.

itfcptc likes this.
  15. johnnywarksmoustache

Managing in the Championship which is probably the most difficult and competitive league in the world is a lot different to League 1. From what I can see he has turned a mediocre Championship team into a mediocre League 1 team overnight. Of course I want the man to succeed but the Championship is an unforgiving place and from what I have seen so far he is way out of his depth tactically and with the players he has at his disposal.

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This is true and Hurst needs to learn the division and the level. You can't do that in a couple of games.

The first lesson for him is that the competitive advantage he had in League One with performance and fitness data doesn't exist at this level because a lot of clubs have at least the same or more sophisticated systems than he has been working with.

17. johnnywarksmoustache

The real problem we have is Marcus Evans we all know that and when you have an owner who simply doesn't give a toss then you are always going to be struggling to get anywhere. The appointment of Hurst is just a blatantly cynical PR ploy to hoodwink us into believing that he was listening to us fans. A bright new era with a young an upcoming manager blah blah blah...In reality Evans is using Hurst as a trojan horse to further asset strip the club by paying out as little as possible on players and selling the quality players we already had. You have to hand it to the guy! That's why he is a multi millionaire I guess! They know the price of everything but the value of nothing!

fieldmarshall likes this.
  18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The danger for me comes only from psychology.

Mick was very relaxed and laid back which meant his players didn't ever really play with fear. A bad start makes it more difficult psychologically for Hurst to change tactics and personnel and coach the players.

The players want to succeed at this level so in many ways he will have a far easier time than if he had end of career Premier League pros who thought they knew better.

I don't have any question over Hurst's or his players' ability. Great managers like Mourinho have faced exactly the same challenges. It's up to the players to step up and not cave in. Trevoh Chalobah's attitude is superb by the way. The problem comes if Hurst doesn't listen and help his players. If he keeps hanging them out to dry by playing so defensively then they will eventually give up, albeit not anywhere near as fast as Warky has. The supporters in the stands can make a real difference to which way it goes.

19. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

20. Bigalreigned

I'd get that selective memory loss checked out mate!