1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Official Match Thread: Liverpool Vs Arsenal. (Premier League)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Sep 1, 2012.

?

Who will win Sunday's game between Liverpool & Arsenal?

1. Liverpool Victory.

2. Draw.

3. Arsenal Victory.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

The Official Match Thread: Liverpool Vs Hearts.

please log in to view this image

No match thread yet so thought I would fill in for Chris again as he has a life.

Big game against the Gooners.

Liverpool v Arsenal
    Anfield, 2 Sep 2012 13:30
    Barclays Premier League

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-sahin-in-contention

Brendan Rodgers has revealed Nuri Sahin is in contention to make his Liverpool debut against Arsenal at Anfield on Sunday afternoon.

We could really do with 3 points after dropping points in a game we dominated against Manchester City last weekend.

Last 6 Meetings:

Liverpool 1 - 2 Arsenal
    Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool
    Arsenal 1 - 1 Liverpool
    Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 1 - 0 Liverpool
    Liverpool 1 - 2 Arsenal

Really good match thread already in place on the Arsenal board.

http://www.not606.com/showthread.ph...tch-Thread-Other-Weekend-Premier-League-games

Liverpool Team.

SUBS:

Arsenal Team.

SUBS:

2. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

My team:

Bench: Jones, Kelly, Carra, Shelvey, Henderson, Assaidi, Downing

Can't see anything other than a draw.
    0-0 but consider we are conceding lots, I'll go 2-2.

3. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

**** thread Chris, well below your usual standard. <ok>

4. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

I'm writing up the match thread at the moment!

Would have had in up in a bit.

Is there any point in me finishing it or shall we use this one?

5. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Yeah, write it up.

Can we get a mod to move this thread to the one Chris makes??

6. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Now that's not a bad looking starting eleven is it.

I'm going for a 2-1 win tomorrow,feeling confident.

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Of course use what you are doing, I just thought you were busy so thought I'd put something up.

The rest of you are bastards for destroying my effort. <laugh> I know it wasn't up to much. jaffakop was the most cutting I shed a tear.

8. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Glad you enjoyed it Baz. Have your moment. :wink:

9. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

10. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, I used to do the match threads before I taught Chris everything I knew and left to become a mod. I still don't get the recognition I deserve for teaching my apprentice everything he knows.

Perhaps I'll teach a new apprentice everything, and there can be a match thread war <devil>.

11. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Can you merge/delete this once Chris has his thread up and give him a verbal warning for being a little slow. :emoticon-0100-smile

12. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Text here to move the logos across.
    Vs

Hello and welcome to the official match thread for Sunday&#8217;s Barclays Premier League game between Liverpool & Arsenal. The game is scheduled to be played at Anfield on Sunday 2nd of September with a kick-off time of 1.30PM. Sky Sports One will be showing the game & talkSPORT have the radio rights to the game.

Preview.

We enter the third round of fixtures in this season&#8217;s Premier League and Arsenal travel up to Anfield to take on Liverpool in the late Sunday afternoon fixture. This fixture has produced some excellent games in recent years and Sunday could produce another great game.

Along with these great games (The 4-4 springs to mind) there have been tighter affairs. Most of the games between Liverpool & Arsenal in the past 2 years have been tight games with a draw or 1/ 2 goal margins deciding the outcome of the games. I feel this will be the case in Sunday&#8217;s game.

Let&#8217;s have a look at the home side, Liverpool, and their chances of picking up the three points in Sunday&#8217;s game.

It&#8217;s been a mixed start for Liverpool so far this campaign. It was a very disappointing start for Liverpool in their first game away at West Brom. It was one of those days everyone associated with Liverpool would want to forget as they were beaten 3-0. However, things improved in their next league game as Liverpool out in an excellent performance against the league champions, Manchester City.

Liverpool had excellent spells in that game and could consider themselves unlucky to only get a point from the game. A poor backpass from Martin Skrtel allowed Carlos Tevez to score his 100th goal in English Football to make sure that the game ended 2-2. This was a vast improvement on the opening league game against West Bromwich Albion and will give Liverpool some confidence going into the Arsenal game.

It will be interesting to see what sort of team Rodgers plays against Arsenal. There is some concern as to Liverpool&#8217;s forward options with no attacking options brought in on transfer deadline day which leaves Liverpool with two strikers in the squad and some younger back-up in Adam Morgan.

In goal, Pepe Reina will continue despite some errors in recent games. The back four is slightly more difficult to predict with the first choice left-back Jose Enrique struggling with a knee injury. If Enrique doesn&#8217;t recover from the knee injury, you can expect Martin Kelly to continue at right-back with Glen Johnson filling in at left-back. This could be a concern to Liverpool with Johnson actually being a right-back. In central defence, Daniel Agger returns from suspension and would be expected to replace Sebastian Coates and come in alongside Martin Skrtel.

In midfield, there are more options to consider. One major blow in the midfield is the loss of Lucas Leiva to a thigh injury. This will keep Lucas out for a couple of months and therefore becomes unavailable for Sunday&#8217;s game. This would lead me to think that one of Liverpool&#8217;s recent signings, Nuri Sahin, would come into the midfield alongside Joe Allen & Steven Gerrard. If Sahin doesn&#8217;t start, one of Jonjo Shelvey (Who came on to replace Lucas when he was taken off injured) or Jordan Henderson would come into the three man midfield.

In the forward positions, it becomes slightly easier. Because Liverpool lack a bit of depth in those positions means that predicting the players to fill those positions is simplified. Luis Suarez will continue in the central position with Fabio Borini out on the right-hand side. On the left-hand side, Raheem Sterling would be most likely to start after impressing in recent games. If he doesn&#8217;t start, Stewart Downing could play on the left-hand side instead. But with Downing having played at left-back recently, he could not be given the chance up on the left. You can also add Oussama Assaidi who can play on either wing giving Liverpool some options if they need it.

Now, let&#8217;s take at look at Arsenal and their chances of picking up the three points on Sunday. So, it was another summer of mixed emotions for Arsenal fans. The sale of Robin van Persie & Alex Song frustrated the fans as they saw more key players leave the Emirates to Manchester United & Barcelona respectively. However, some high-quality players were brought into Arsenal to boost the squad. Santi Carzola, Olivier Giroud & Lukas Podolski brought in to boost Arsenal in the attacking positions. I feel that all three are quality players that will prove to be astute signings for the Arsenal and will, along with the players already at the club, pose significant problems to the Liverpool backline.

The season so far for Arsenal has been frustrating. As I will mention later on in this preview, the defence is much improved but the goals haven't been flowing so far. Two 0-0 draws with Sunderland & Stoke mean that Arsenal only have two points so far this season. However, chances have been created but not put away. This is clearly frustrating for the Arsenal fans but it's better to create those chances and miss them than not create any chances at all.

However, there are a few injury problems for Arsenal which means some key players will be missing. In goal, Wojciech Szcz&#281;sny is doubtful for Sunday&#8217;s game with a rib injury. If he isn&#8217;t available, Vito Mannone will fill in as he did against Stoke. Obviously, if Szcz&#281;sny was to miss the game, it would be a blow as he is a quality &#8216;keeper but Mannone filled in against Stoke and kept a clean sheet and did well.

In defence, there are one or two injury concerns to contend with. The first-choice right-back, Bacary Sagna is still out of action after breaking his leg in May 2012 which means that Carl Jenkinson will fill in at right-back once again. In central defence, Laurent Koscielny comes back from a Calf/Shin injury and could come back into the defence. However, with the pairing of Per Mertesacker & Thomas Vermaelen having kept two clean sheets in their first two games, Koscielny may struggle to get back into the side! At left-back, Kieran Gibbs seems likely to play after started and completed the full 90 in both of Arsenal&#8217;s Premier League games this season.

Worth noting that despite the injury concerns in defence, Arsenal&#8217;s defence has been much improved this season (Two clean sheets in two games!) and I would put some of that down to Steve Bould. The ex-Stoke, Torquay United, Arsenal & Sunderland defender joined Arsenal&#8217;s coaching staff in 2001 and became Arsene Wenger&#8217;s assistant at the start of the season. Can see an improvement in the defensive start of Arsenal&#8217;s game since he started working with the first-team squad.

In midfield, I would expect the same three which played against Stoke last weekend. That means Mikel Arteta, Abou Diaby & Santi Carzola starting in the middle. This is a good mix in my opinion and with the suspected inclusion of Carzola, gives Arsenal a player who can create chances for the front three. Aaron Ramsey could also be brought in from the substitute&#8217;s bench.

The front three, I expect, will be the same as the Stoke game. This is Lukas Podolski on the right, Gervinho on the left and Olivier Giroud in the middle. This gives them some good goalscoring options and with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlin & Theo Walcott on the bench, chances to stretch the Liverpool defence later in the game.

So, to conclude, an interesting game in prospect. These games have been tight in recent years and I predict another tight game. Liverpool&#8217;s defence will need to be on top form to deal with Carzola and co. and it&#8217;s the same for Arsenal&#8217;s defence and Suarez and co.

Draw seems the most likely result in my opinion.

Injury News.

Liverpool.

• Lucas Leiva: Thigh Injury.
    • Joe Cole: Hamstring Injury.

Arsenal.

• Wojciech Szcz&#281;sny: Rib Injury.
    • Lukasz Fabianski: Back Injury.
    • Tomas Rosicky: Calf/Shin Injury.
    • Bacary Sagna: Broken Leg.
    • Emmanuel Frimpong: ACL Knee Injury.
    • Jack Wilshere: Ankle/Foot Injury.

Liverpool 0 - 0 Arsenal

Goalscorers:

Liverpool:

Teams will be added in due course.

Arsenal:

Teams will be added in due course.

YNWA.

13. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Not a bad match thread. :tongue:

14. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

It's too late Chris, Luvgonzo is the new match thread maker.

15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Bastard! <laugh>

16. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Fully understand Ze. Knew I couldn't compete with Luv's thread from the moment I saw it.

17. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Glad you agree, however... I'm going to have to re-instate you as match thread maker. I have gathered new evidence that Luvgonzo had the help of a professional when making that particular thread, which in my books is cheating!

18. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Ah right, so i'm back again. I'll continue to do them and try and not to cheat like Luv has! <laugh>

By the way, why is my preview now halfway down the first page?

19. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

God knows, I'll try and fix it.

20. Redbrynner

Redbrynner Well-Known Member

Redbrynners Match Thread
    Liverpool vs Arsenal

Hope we win this one!

Charlie Adam, jay Spearing, Clint Dempsey, Robin Van Persie and Andy Carroll will all most definately not be playing.

Dani Pacheco, (who i mention in most posts) Will also not be playing.

Nuri Sahin will at some point.

We have played them lots before, most importantly in 1989 when we lost 2-0 thanks to Colin Firth.

If Liverpool lose/draw Brendan Rodgers will cmment on the excellent attitude of the players.

If Arsenal lose, Arsene Wenger will blame everyone else.

Player to watch for Liverpool: Luis Suarez
    Player to watch for Arsenal: Robin van Persie....oops, I mean Alex Song....or even Santi Carzorla ( who is rumoured to be moving to s top Spanish side next year)

Do i get the job?:smiley-finger007: