1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Nitty Gritty of the BLM movement

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Ndidi, Leicester City player, you're a hypocrite.

There's been all kinds of protests because a policeman killed a black man.

That's fair enough, people are entitled to do whatever they choose in a society as free and liberal as ours.

I'm proud of that.

I'm a little less comfortable with the PL players like Ndidi who are wearing BLM slogans on their shirts, bending their knee and clenching their fists.

It looks radical and brave but it isn't.

It's a sham and a little embarrassing especially from certain foreign black players.

Where are these courageous 'soldiers' when police from their own countries murder their countrymen?

Serious question ...

... can anyone on this board tell me?

"Of 127 countries measured in the 2016 World Internal Security and Police Index, Nigeria’s police force ranks as the worst, just below DR Congo, Kenya and Uganda to make up the bottom four."

"Across all regions, North America and Europe show the highest level of police responsiveness to internal security."

"Over the past year, with political tensions high, Kenyan police have faced allegations of carrying out more extrajudicial killings than anywhere else in Africa."

Nigeria, DR Congo, Kenya and Uganda have the world’s worst police forces

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com...and-pakistan-police-are-the-worlds-worst/amp/

And why aren't the BLM protesters marching about the black Africans but out every weekend because of one African-American.

Surely it can't be that the African-American is more worthy of protesting about ...

... of course not, that would be discrimination.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  2. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

I’ve heard a few people say that, but the little bit of online research I’ve done doesn’t bear that out.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/nitty-gritty.html

3. Smug in Boots

The link you've posted says 'Where it does come from isn't known'.

I first noticed the term being mentioned in the Times many years ago.

Unless I hear a better explanation that's the one I'll stick with, which I think is fair.

4. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why other countries have jumped on this bandwagon as I see it this is primarily an American Issue. Over the years white American cops have routinely beaten up, mistreated and murdered black citizens with absolute zero accountability. Again...as I see it this rising of the BLM movement was in answer to all these injustices in the United States. I have lived in America and for me its one of the most racist places I have ever been to, which is such a shame as I love America and have friends over there from all ethnic backgrounds, but the sunstantial white right-wing will keep this agenda going making sure little if any change will happen, that said, this feels a little different and I hope things do change.....because they need to.

5. Smug in Boots

Good to have some informed opinion.

Sadly this really has become a bandwagon and it looks a little irrational.

Trying to lump a basically decent country like ours in with America is illogical and the movement will create divisions, not mend them.

In my opinion its too hysterical and aggressive which will make decent people turn away and radicals instigate a backlash as we've seen with the Burnley banner.

I personally feel I'm being attacked for no good reason and am starting to resent that.

What I find distasteful is the sight of black foreign players openly 'mourning' the death of one American while their own police forces are much worse. Why don't they protest about all the police murders in their own countries?

It looks to me that they've jumped on the bandwagon because its trendy which I find quite sad.

Monkey69, samwise_new, Woody and 3 others like this.
  6. Kittenmittons

Kittenmittons Well-Known Member

You weren't getting enough attention in the other threads smug?

There's so much ****e in this thread it ****ing reeks, but I don't have time to get into it. Suffice to say that nobody is suggesting the actions of the police in Nigeria are motivated by racism, which is what these protests are about.

You don't know anything about this guy but you've decided an awful lot just because you're so ****ing wet that you can't handle a fella kneeling and putting his fist in the air. God the pearl clutching is utterly hilarious.

Oh, and you even say you feel attacked. Remember.... what, 2 days ago? When I said so many white people are bitching and moaning about being attacked rather than address the issues.

Your response was 'show me these people' as if they didn't exist. Amazing. He's absolutely done you here.

7. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

I'd be much happier with a different phrase.

Something like 'ALL LIVES MATTER'.

8. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Which was the point of the very relevant 'Burnley banner' I presume, Poly :emoticon-0105-wink:

DH4 and Perritts Parrot like this.
  9. Smug in Boots

Correct.

Nobody, including me, is suggesting that.

As usual you've totally missed the point and made a fool of yourself.

BTW isn't this one of those 'ad hominem' attacks you keep whining about?

You, and your little pal, seem quite hysterical recently if you don't mind me saying. I've no idea what you're trying to say most of the time tbh.

Woody likes this.
  10. Kittenmittons

It's easy:

Why would standing up against racism (or kneeling) require him to list any other causes he thinks are worthy?

It's been a week now and you just can't grasp that BLM is about combatting racism.

11. Smug in Boots

I don't need to grasp it, it's blatantly obvious it's about combating racism.

You seem to believe you're on a mission to educate everyone on here because you know best.

It just comes across as attention seeking tbh.

You made two big claims about people, on here, yet can't come up with a single example of either ...

... not just one when you say there are many.

It's easy stamping your feet and making bold claims but you have nothing to back it up with tbf.

12. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

It also says it’s nothing to do with slave ships and it was first used in the 1930s, which is a long time after slavery was abolished.

13. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Me too, I am no a fan of this knee bending display, and frankly is another reason why I have avoided TV football too some degree, (the commentators and pundits are another). Both sides in this argument should understand multi-cultural society is here to stay and the only way forward is for an evenhanded approach by all, black white and all shades between. The official reaction to the offensive " All white lives matter " banner at Burnley last night, while being just, was not so evident in Bristol over the statue incident, which was also wrong, no matter the justification. The dilemma is how to appease Political Correctness and calm the hot heads, not a task I envy anybody tbh. We are very lucky to have the police force we do, as was demonstrated in Reading this weekend.

14. Smug in Boots

Yeah, I've seen all kinds of theories but nothing definitive which shows how complex our language is.

It would seem it's of recent English (speaking) origin and not a pleasant thing. I always assumed it was some kind of mining term until I was told it was to do with slave ships.

'Getting down to the nitty gritty' suggests people were going through various layers to get there.

My Dad used to use the term when there was just dust and a few scraps of coal left in the coallhouse.

'Bloody NCB' was the phrase that usually followed <laugh>

MACKEMLAD1973 likes this.
  15. Kittenmittons

16. polyphemus

That one passed me by, but I've looked it up now.

Apparently it's racist.

My concept is a World that ignores race altogether, except for The Human Race.

And while I won't see this in my lifetime I do have hopes for the future when I consider how different things are now compared to how they were when I was growing up.
    That race is a marathon and humanity is only just passed the early markers, but we are heading forward.

17. Smug in Boots

"That race is a marathon and humanity is only just passed the early markers, but we are heading forward."

Sadly, its not a race with a finishing line, its a treadmill that we all have to keep walking.

All we can do is be decent with people and encourage other people and governments to do likewise.

18. Kittenmittons

So something completely justified should be treated the same as something completely unjustified? I don't understand why we're suddenly obsessed with being so literal-minded that we now refuse to apply any critical thinking to any subject and demand

An fyi on what 'White Lives Matter' represents https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...sary-supremacists-protests-dc-virginia-219353

Whereas the idea that chucking a stature of someone responsible for enslaving 80,000+ people is a good thing. **** anyone who doesn't believe that, and they've tried for decades to get it removed peacefully.

If you weren't listening then, it shouldn't matter so much to you now.

19. Smug in Boots

The point of this OP was that black players, from African countries with horrific levels of police killings, have failed to protest about what's happening in their homelands.

Yet they're all over the BLM protests which is admittedly a just cause. It reminds me of the Roy Keane question to Patrick Viera who was always bleating on about Senegal, "If you love Senegal so much, why don't you go play for them?"

I'm well aware that the murders by police, in Nigeria etc aren't racially motivated but surely wealthy high profile PL players should be speaking out, these are their countrymen.

The murder of George Floyd, is automatically assumed to be racially motivated ... is it?

"Sadly, the trend of fatal police shootings in the US seems to only be increasing, with a total 429 civilians having been shot, 88 of whom were Black, as of June 4, 2020."

The officer who's been charged is accused, by the BLM movement, of racially motivated murder. Does anyone know that's the case or is it just a stereotypical viewpoint from people who's cause it suits?

I've no idea why this officer acted the way he did and nor does anyone except him. If George Floyd had also been openly transvestite/transition would we also have LGBT campaigners claiming it was because of that and not because he was black? If he was Muslim would this be assumed to be religiously motivated?

Perhaps the police officer is just a thug who's overreacted to a situation and wrongfully killed another human being. Accusing him of being a racist is just the kind of automatic stereotypical behaviour that BLM is fighting against.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Monkey69, DH4, Woody and 2 others like this.
  20. polyphemus

If I were a high profile footballer, (say) from a country where the Police practiced brutality as a matter of course but left me alone because they were also football fans, would I get up and publicly protest?

Not on your life.

I could claim that my family over there would be made to pay for my stance were I to speak out.
    I could claim that to stand out would only make things worse.
    These would be good reasons to remain silent.

OR

I could admit that I wanted to stay alive and keep on supporting my family, leaving politics to the politicians.

Shameless and Kittenmittons like this.