1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The next six league matches

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Chelsea (H) L
    Wolves (A) D
    Leicester (H) L
    Man City (A) L
    Everton (H) L
    Arsenal (A) D

Looks very tough that <yikes>

Shame that there's no EL game for Wolves immediately prior to our match. I'll go for 6.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  2. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Crikey. I think 5.

We can beat Everton at home, and hopefully Lille give Chelsea a tough game on Wednesday this week. Then I'd hope a point or two against Wolves/Leicester.

Arsenal are vulnerable, so hopefully Ralph can work out a way to give them a game.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  3. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Chelsea (H) 2-2 D
    Wolves (A) 1-2 W
    Leicester (H) 1-1 D
    Man City (A) 5-0 L
    Everton (H) 2-0 W
    Arsenal (A) 3-1 L

8 Points :)

Easy.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Chelsea (H) W
    Wolves (A) L
    Leicester (H) D
    Man City (A) L
    Everton (H) W
    Arsenal (A) L

5. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

6 points from me.............

6. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

5 points. Think we'll get something from half of those, either 2 draws and a win or 2 wins and a draw.

latviandream and Libby like this.
  7. latviandream

latviandream Well-Known Member

As ever it all depends on how clinical we are in the final third, and how error prone we are in our own. Middle third of the pitch we’ve been pretty decent thus far.

Based on our inconsistency in the most important two thirds of the pitch I could see any win from those games being a bonus, but being more realistic 5pts, with the win very unlikely to come either (a) City or (a) Arsenal. Easier fixtures to come after this lot, but by golly we’ll need them.

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Chelsea (H) 1-1 (D)
    Wolves (A) 0-1 (W)
    Leicester (H) 1-2 (L)
    Man City (A) 2-0 (L)
    Everton (H) 2-0 (W)
    Arsenal (A) 2-2 (D)

So 8....but a lot of wishful thinking in there. More a case of guessing that we will win a game or two and then selecting the most likely.

9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

A lot will depend on Djenepo’s fitness. He is capable of unlocking any defence, certainly any of those 6 teams, and him and Boufal can create space for Ings, Redmond, and co.
    I’ll go for a conservative 7 points, wins against Wolves and Everton and a draw at Arsenal.

10. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Think I'll go with five. A win against Chelsea, and draws against Wolves and Everton. And to be honest, that would set us up quite nicely. 12 points from 12 games might not sound special, but it's a good enough points-average to keep us up and, more importantly, we'll have played all of the big six (not to mention everyone in that second tier of sides too, other than West Ham). The seven sides who we won't have yet played are, in the main, all relegation battlers (eg four of them make up the current bottom four).

A lot does depend on Djenepo and Cedric though. If they're not available for Chelsea, that win then becomes tricky. But likewise, if they're available throughout these six games, then Djenepo's magic should hopefully garner us more than five points.

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

3 points, maybe 4 and the sky to fall in.

Libby likes this.
  12. saintkitch

saintkitch Well-Known Member

Chelsea (H)
    Wolves (A)
    Leicester (H)
    Man City (A)
    Everton (H)
    Arsenal (A)

All 6 of those teams are better than us in every department and will all finish above us. But as the saying goes football is a funny old game. I'm not laughing zero points.

13. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

2 points

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I understand why some are pessimistic looking at that list of matches....on paper we have little chance...but we are good enough to get the odd (and perhaps surprising) win. The important thing is how we do against the probably bottom half teams....something we have struggled with recently. Time for us to rise to the top of that particular group.

15. King Grimlock

King Grimlock Well-Known Member

Draws with Wolves and Everton, 2 points, Hopefully i'm wrong and we smash them all

16. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Draw with Everton and Leicester, 2 points

17. saintkitch

saintkitch Well-Known Member

This was actually meant in jest. I think our style of football may work better against some of these teams so wouldn't be at all surprised if we picked up a couple of wins. It all depends how clinical we are with the chances we create, as we may need at least 3 goals to get those wins.

18. SaintJabie

SaintJabie Active Member

Wolves, Everton and Leicester are the most winnable out of those, and Leicester have been playing well of late. I'm going for 4 points. A win vs Everton and a draw versus Wolves.

19. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

If Ralph decides to play Full/Wingbacks in their usual position and sticks with a relatively settled back 4/5 then we are capable of getting 6-10 points but if he keeps on experimenting and messing about with it will probably be a bit less than that.

With the former I could forsee possibly wins in the 2/3 wins and/or draws in the home matches and maybe at least a point at Wolves.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  20. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I don't think you can play Djenepo, Boufal, and Redmond together. And it would be crazy to bench Redmond. So I think Djenepo and Boufal are fighting for one spot.

I think we will either get 6 or 4 points out of that run. I would not be ecstatic if we only got four, but I wouldn't panic as that is a tough stretch. Six is fine. More than six would be fantastic. And I think we are capable of getting more than six, I'm just not expecting it. To me, Djenepo and Hojbjerg are the two wildcards. Our attack is looking more organized and somewhat vague threatening now, but it still lacks that final cutting edge. Djenepo is the one guy who might be capable of fixing the attack single-handed. And Hojbjerg has unfortunately been rather crappy most of this year. If he can rediscover his form from last year and Djenepo is the difference maker we think he can be, then we're (barely) a top half side.

VocalMinority likes this.