1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Midweek Agenda

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Bolton's Boots, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Shamelessly pinching this from Facebook. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's hosted by Kevin Affleck and is a weekly discussion on questions set by him - all to do with Watford FC of course. I thought it might be an idea to replicate it on here to create a bit more discussion.

2. Bolton's Boots

This week's questions are:_

midweek agenda.png

Any takers?

3. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Like it!

1. Easily the Arsenal winner.
    3. Deeney then Grey to come on with 20 to go, as I feel the pacey wingers feed better off TD9.
    2. That is a hard one, but I'd say Bournemouth, Huddesfield and maybe Palace. (can but hope)
    4. It's a tough job, but they need to get it right every time.

I had numercial problems hence the bad order. <doh>

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  4. Bolton's Boots

For me...

#1 Cleverley's winner against Arsenal. I think it's between the two goals that produced wins - and this one was the result of constant pressure whereas the Swansea winner was not only a breakaway, but involved a bit of luck.

#2 Crystal Palace, Huddersfield and Bournemouth

#3 Troy Deeney any day. He offers so much more than Gray across the pitch - and causes more trouble for opposition defences.

#4 Not really - I've always thought that they have a difficult job, but that decision was clear cut to me. :)

5. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Mine;

1. For me it was the West Brom equaliser. To go 2-0 down in such a short space of time then come back to a team like West Brom, who are so good at keeping clean sheets. I thought it was a fantastic point to get!

2. Brighton, Huddersfield and Bournemouth. I think Brighton and Huddersfield's lack of fire power will show long term, plus smaller squads. Huddersfield seem to be struggling after losing the likes of Mooy and Mounie already. Bournemouth is more out of hope - but I think their squad is looking like what it is - mainly Championship players who been overachieving

3. It has to be Troy, with Gray coming on later against a hopefully tiring defence, to stretch them. I think Chelsea play too deep for this to work for Gray. Although would like to see Okaka on the bench for this one too

4. This is exactly why VAR won't work either. Even after days of re-watching the incident, many pundits, ex-refs etc still can't decide, so how are they meant to make a decision like that within 10/20 seconds and be 100% correct. The only VAR decisions in my opinion should be for off-sides where it is generally a definitive yes or no

6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

!. yes the West Brom one... it was a clean goal and looked like it was coming for a while... and i was there and it was ecstatic!
    2. Swansea Bournemouth and sadly Hudds. I think Palace will pull through
    3. I think TD should come on as Sub... or at least the both should play for some of it. If you read the players reflection of the game they praised AG for his work in keeping Arsenal defenders busy and then TD came on and rang rings round em... not sure TD could do it for a whole game though
    4 Yes.... nightmare.... and I probs would not have given it.... as IMO the player got the ball first

7. yorkshirehornet

yes.. can we do it every week... :)

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  8. Bolton's Boots

Not always though - I've heard plenty of arguments over what I thought were straight forward decisions, mostly caused by misinterpretation of the law or what constitutes 'level/not level'. Being all for keeping a game flowing & not stop-start, I think that the offside law needs to be tinkered with rather than rely upon video evidence which isn't always reliable anyway.

Or, of course, we accept that referees are only human, will make mistakes - but they are in charge & their decisions are final. :)

9. Bolton's Boots

In that case could it be pinned?

10. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

That is why I said 'generally'. It isn't always a definite but decisions like the penalty often come down to opinion - and opinions easily differ, whereas off-sides are mainly a yes or no

Personally would prefer to keep technology to just goal line but they seem intent on bringing it in! Was it the Confed Cup they trialled it, and it was a complete shambles... and think they didn't go to the VAR for one decision because not enough players appealed!

11. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

1. The winner against Arsenal - there was a huge grin by jerzeypie when he told me. I didn't want to know what was going on until after Strictly had finished. If we'd been on Sky instead of BT, I would've watched us and recorded Strictly.
    2. I think it depends on who Leicester appoint as manager. If they get it wrong, they'll go down. Assuming they get it right then Brighton, Huddersfield and Bournemouth.
    3. It's a shame Silva can't see the Chelsea teamsheet before making his decision! I think Deeney is due a start, if nothing else.
    4. I was a referee, so I always appreciated how hard it was, so that didn't make me appreciate it more.

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  12. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

1. West Brom.... didn't think it was coming at all - and as Yorkshire said it was a mental celebration!
    2. Palace, Bournemouth and Brighton... can't see Palace surviving though they'r only six points from safety. Dream relegation? Everton!
    3. Deeney, but what Silva is doing has worked so far so I'll not be disappointed if he does start.
    4. I was a referee, so I always appreciated how hard it was, so that didn't make me appreciate it more. I've always been against it, and Hawkeye, but I appreciate the arguments FOR it - especially as the EPL are awash with money. That said if the media had seen this view (2 minutes in)
    then they wouldn't be shooting from the lip...

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  13. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

1. The one against Arsenal. Not just the goal but seeing Arsenal's expensive pussies so rattled by our Troy in the last 10 mins - the goal was the culmination.
    2. Bournemouth, Huddersfield (unfortunately), maybe Swansea. I think Roy may turn thinks around at Palace. In my dreams Chelsea.
    3. Deeney everytime for me, only bring Andre on if it doesn't work or if a change is needed.
    4. I would find it very easy to referee a Watford match <laugh> Joking aside, a horrible job running round and having to keep up with people being payed 100 times what you are and being blamed for it.

14. Bolton's Boots

This week's questions:-

agenda.jpg

15. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

1. Expectation? Not from me, it's Stoke City for crying out loud... probably gonna be ugly.
    2. Everton? Don't know, don't care. Hope they get relegated!
    3. Okaka? Hopefully. Would like to know what the problem is.
    4. Puel at Leicester? Sensible appointment. Has the experience in Europe* and in England. *It might be a while before they qualify again, though!

16. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

1. No - Huddersfield v ManUre - need I say any more?
    2. Someone who'll work on their defence from 6th November onwards!
    3. I would like to think so, but probably not.
    4. It depends whether he learns from the mistakes he made at Southampton, and if Vardy and/or Mahrez are still there on 1st February. One thing is definite - TD isn't really his type of player, so we can rule out that transfer.

17. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1. Hope rather than expectation for me.
    2. Possibly Dyche. Doubt that he would take much from the lazy ones.
    3. I really don't know what to make of him.
    4. He might do well, or fail badly. No way of telling if any manager can react in a positive way with the players he is given.

18. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

1. I'd take a draw, they are going to be up for it and hard to break down and physical. We've had a great start, but the season is still "early doors" for me. So no pressure on the lads, they just need to keep playing the way they have - giving it their all! Thank god Walter has gone. Incidentally - I don't think anyone else has signed him up, have they? So...

2. David Moyes as the ventriloquist using Walter Mazzarri the communicating puppet would be perfect for Everton

3. He's back up, that is it, 3rd choice. Would you want to stay if you were him? Mind you 100% start and score rate so far, fair play to the big man he hasn't shouted his mouth off - well publically at least.

4. Meh. We've got a good chance of finishing above them.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  19. Bolton's Boots

1. No expectations from me - have been a Watford fan for too long and learned in the Div 3/4 days simply to enjoy the fare being presented, although 'enjoy' was often a stretch. As for 90% of our matches though, I fully expect us to win - but will come back for more if we don't.

2. The same sort of character needed for any managerial job in football - someone who knows that you can't please everyone all the time...

3. Yes, but just not here. I've read elsewhere that the problem lies with MS - he simply doesn't rate him. I suspect he'll be off in January unless injuries force Silva to play him & he shines.

4. No thoughts at all really - they wanted a new manager, he was available, they chose him. He may do well, equally he may fail - no skin off my nose either way.

20. yorkshirehornet

1. I expect not to lose.... and hope to win.... but we have injuries
    2. dont care
    3. I hope so .... he looked very promising
    4. as 2 really