1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 5th October)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Oct 5, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 5th October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

U21's win eight goal thriller

Leeds U21's came from 2-0 down to smash five past Tranmere Rovers, in an eight goal thriller at Prenton Park last night (in the group stages of the Papa John’s Trophy). This was the first time this season, many of the Elland Road fledglings had faced senior opposition, and their inexperience showed as they went 2-0 after 19 minutes.

Sonny Perkins settled Leeds nerves five minutes later, followed by a quick fire brace from Joe Gelhardt, putting Leeds 3-2 up. Tranmere equalised in first half stoppage time. Michael Skubala's young Whites showed their superior fitness in the second half, and stretched their lead with efforts from Mateo Joseph and Cody Drameh. Leeds may have inflicted more damage on Tranmere, but had Sam Greenwood sent off for a second bookable offence on 69 minutes.

From 2-0 down, to 5-3 victors, an ecstatic Michael Skubala was quick to praise his players:-
    “I loved it,” “I just wanted the team to attack and be lively and I know sometimes that’s going to cost us at times but I think they learn from these games and it’s a great game to learn from. Tranmere are a good team, their style of play is what I call three o’clock football and they’re good in transition.

“I thought we started really brightly, we’ve done that well this season and I thought we did the same again and then we got caught and caught again. In the end we had to grind back into it and from that point we were comfortable.

“I thought it was good performances all round (from the front four), Joffy had a really nice performance, he’s come and give 90, I thought Willy (Gnonto) was really good on the ball and in the end I took him off just to calm it and manage the situation, we don’t want him getting hurt.

“Mateo is in a place where he’s running hard, pressing and he gives everything for the team and he was captain tonight because of those attributes that I really value. Sonny got his goal again, I’ve lost count now.” “(These games are) brilliant for their development, brilliant for their learning and brilliant for the physicality to feel a bit different and the blend of games between the Papa Johns and the Premier League 2 is perfect.”

leeds8.jpg

Marsch expects total commitment from fringe players

Jesse Marsch has addressed the frustrations and despondency from some players with the amount of game time they're receiving this season. Gelhardt, Summerville, Forshaw, Drameh, Greenwood and Klich have all only had minor parts to play for the first XI, and understandably want to be playing every week.

Every team experiences this same problem, and there's no magic solution. Whilst Marsch understands this, he has made it clear that he expects every player to stay committed, so they are ready to perform when called upon.

“It's not so important everyone is totally happy because I know, players when they don't play, they want to always be on the pitch and we want that,” “However, what we want everyone to know is the responsibility of being committed to the group is what can make us special and different.

“We have to have a very high standard for that and we do here. Very lucky with the young men we have in this squad and in this building and certainly ready to perform when called upon.

“When the matches come quickly you can have injuries, you need rotation at times, you need players off the bench to have big performances. Where we are and who we are right now, we can't take anything for granted, that's for sure.”

please log in to view this image

Duo set to miss Palace trip

Leeds may be without Cody Drameh and Leo Hjelde for the visit to Crystal Palace this weekend. Drameh took a knock last night during the 5-3 win at Tranmere Rovers, which led him to be substituted with ten minutes remaining, whilst Leo Hjelde has a stomach bug.

Gnonto becoming ER favourite

Leeds journalist Joe Donnohue gave Wilfred Gnonto a glowing report for his performance against Tranmere last night. This was only his second start for the Whites, yet he looks as established as any player. Donnohue described the Italian International as technically adept, strong on the ball, and intelligent when he needed to be'. The 18yo also enjoyed winding the Prenton Park faithful up at every opportunity, and recieved boo's from the home supporters when he was substituted in injury time.

"Wound the crowd up good and proper. Technically adept, strong on the ball, intelligent when he needed to be"

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

For the past two season there has been a pattern emerging, more excitement about the youngsters and what we might have on our hands than what we do have. It is clear though that the jump from U21 to Premier League is vast, Geldhardt, Joseph, Gnonto and Perkins, surely one of them is going to replace the forever crocked Bamford before this season is out?

3. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Morning all that should be our away shirt with a central badge on it.

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Great to see the young lads doing well. Only time will tell how many make the step up to the senior stuff

Irishshako likes this.
  5. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

To be honest, you'd hope our reserves would beat tranmere reserves, but agree with what Skubala says... a mix of u21s and 'man's football' is ideal, and good that our young attacking players are banging them in.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  6. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Gnonto had already made the step up before he arrived tbf. Already has more international caps than Barndoor - and only 18 years old.

Also love to see any Leeds player winding up the oppo <laugh> good lad <ok>

Gessa, ellandback, Eireleeds1 and 3 others like this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The pundits who watched gave Gnonto, Gehardt, Joseph, Perkins an average score of 8.3 Drameh was also an 8 and Thats an attacking group of players. Skabby the U21 coach dare put half a team of strikers on The pitch and everyone loved it. It was more Bielsa than Marsch. Jesse needs to find some common ground because we have good attacking players but his tactics seem to have gone backwards. The brand of footy we are getting right now is pants. Yes if we get results I can put up with it but we are not

ristac, OLOF, 2 pennth and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

9. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I suspect Skabby was told who to pick yesterday! We have been playing some decent stuff this season... we're struggling against sides who come to spoil, because we have a high energy game with high energy players rather than a possession-based team. I think that's going to be a trend this season and we may see better football away from home.

10. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Willy was fantastic, a goal for him would have been the icing on the cake. I would have thought that bringing on Willy against Villa would have been a no brainer. But I've never coached so WTF do I know.<ok>

11. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

Surely would have done if not for the red card.

12. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I was thinking that alright, but still.<ok>

leeds down south likes this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Harrison should have been swapped for Gnonto at half time….

Irishshako and OLOF like this.
  15. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

The HT discussion we were having was that Sinisterra would go off after an hour due to travelling etc after the international break.

Perhaps with hindsight making that change at half time would have been better <whistle>

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Seems Greenwoods straight red last night only counts in the Papa John Trophy si should be on the bench Sunday. I would also start Gnonto in place of banned Sinisterra

Irishshako and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  17. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Doc. Enjoyed that <ok>

18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Ex Leeds youngster Bobby kamwa has signed a short term deal with Burton Albion till January hope his Christmas bonus isn't a load of broken biscuits :)

19. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Second yellow I thought?

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Thats what everyone thought but commentators found out different even Adam Pope said he at first thought second yellow but hearing straight red for dangerous feet off the ground showing studs

ellandback likes this.