1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th November)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Nov 24, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 24th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds draw up Managerial short list

The Daily Express have reported that Leeds have drawn up a short list of three Managerial candidates prompting speculation that this will be Marcelo Bielsa's last season at Elland Road. The Argentine, now 66, joined the Whites in 2018, and has been a massive hit both on and off the pitch. Whilst nobody wants to see him go, we should recognise that this is the longest he has stayed at any club since his opening role at Newell's Old boys back in 1980.

We have been told that should we survive the season, Radrizzani plans sweeping changes on the pitch, and in all honesty we need someone to see it through to the end, and I don't think Bielsa is that person.
    Diego Martínez is certainly a strong contender for the Elland Road hot seat, so much so that recent media reports suggest that Leeds Director of Football Victor Orta has already spoken to the former Grenada Coach about the role.

Whilst it's premature to look at replacing someone who has given no indication that he'll be leaving, we should take into account that he is the second oldest Manager in the top flight, and even in a perfect world, this tenure would be up sooner rather than later.

please log in to view this image

Is Barkley the missing piece of the jigsaw

Forgotten Chelsea midfielder Ross Barkley has once again been linked to a January move to West Yorkshire. The 27yo former England playmaker enjoyed a short loan spell at Elland Road back in 2013, and if media reports are to be believed, he may be back, this time for good.

Having not strengthened in the middle of the park in the Summer has hit Leeds hard this season, fortunately (touch wood) it looks like Adam Forshaw's two-year lay off has finally come to an end, and is showing signs of settling in to Premiership life well.

Do Leeds need a new midfielder in January, or can they wait until the Summer? If they can't wait, is Barkley the right signing? Would you see him as a long term fixture?

Is the forthcoming Brighton game a must not lose?

Leeds loss in North London last weekend sent them tittering back on the edge of the drop zone, two points clear of Burnley. Their festive plight consists of trips to Stamford Bridge, The Etihad and Anfield, as well as a home fixture against Arsenal; surely Christmas looks bleak at LS11!

Recently we have seen back to back wins for Norwich, Watford beat Manchester Utd, Burnley drew at Leicester and Chelsea before beating Brentford. Even Villa got back to winning ways last weekend with Steven Gerard at the helm. Leeds face a trip down to the seaside (Brighton) this weekend, followed by home games against in form Crystal Palace then Brentford.

How important is it that Leeds don't lose on Saturday?

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

Firstly a huge NO to Barkley from me.

I’ve felt for a long time this will be Bielsas last season. Ironically if we go down I prey he stays one more season. In regards to the PL I don’t believe he is enjoying it, he is a humble guy and I think he is probably sickened at the huge amounts of money that are needed.

Sweeping changes, we need them as a few players are getting older now but I can’t see we have the funds?

Diego Martinez I don’t get the appeal myself. Maybe if we just avoid relegation this season it will be a blessing for the new guy. He’ll be compared to Bielsa so a high finish for us and the new guy would be up against it.

Also on Diego, I’ve read a few reports that describe his style of play as nothing even remotely the same as Bielsa. He is uses a counter attacking direct ball approach, the more I research him the more this seems to be the case. I’m not saying it’s bad, just not a like for like swap as some seem to believe

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  3. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

The line that jumped out to me from all that way "should Leeds stay up Radz is planning sweeping changes on the pitch"

Why? Is this true? What do we think he has seen that makes him believe we need more than just natural evolution of the squad rather than wholesale changes? Do we believe the club has the finances to make those sorry of changes?

bucks_is_leeds and ristac like this.
  4. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning all
    It’s bloody important !!!!.
    we must not lose any of the next three fixtures, as someone else said, nothing less than seven points would do, that damned festive fixture list, looks more like a premier league horror film, can only see us taking more of a battering than my piece of cod at the local chippy in at least three of those fixtures, with our current injury crisis.
    So come on someone, give me some inspiring words of wisdom, so I can look forward to Christmas as I should be :emoticon-0101-sadsm
    Agree with Ristac about Barkley though.

bucks_is_leeds, oldschool and ristac like this.
  5. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agreed and what if Bielsa wants to stay and he refuses those wholesale changes?

I’m wondering if Bielsa has already told them his intentions (to leave) and just maybe Orta and Rads feel we need to strike quickly in the transfer market, we can’t afford to wait and see what players a coach would like, after all, he would need time to settle in and see what he has at his disposal.

Bielsa to leave, Orta to make some swift signings and then a new guy appointed maybe? Maybe the new guy is Martinez and he’s already given the green light for Orta to bring in players he feels are required?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

The managerial picture was set early last season according to Victor Orta. Bielsa, Orta and Kinnear compiled a list of coaches who would carry on Bielsa’s work. Building on the foundations of the academy and players without destroying everything. This is key because the club cannot afford a manager who would want to rip up everything and replace every academy coach and want a few hundred million for new players. Bielsa and Orta want a coach who has his own ideas on tactics etc, but would want to build on what has been done. I dont know if Martinez is on the list but its funny that he walked away from Granada after doing a great job and also turned down jobs in Spain and Italy and prefer to move his family to England and just watch prem football?

Barkley has never strung more than 3 good games together on the trot ever

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  7. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Saw us linked with Isco this morning! Unbelievably talented footballer who's career stalled and looked like a beachball the last images i saw of him! I reckon 2 years at least to get him bielsa fit ;)

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Mateo Joseph takes home award before starting Leeds career in January
    Espanyol sensation Mateo Joseph has picked up an award this week before completing his move to Leeds United.

Reliable journalist, Diego Balbontin revealed the latest on the striker and shared that he will be playing in West Yorkshire from January.
    “Mateo Joseph elected best forward of Juvenil DH in the Premios Gols Media 2021,” he wrote.

“The Cantabrian, who will play in the Leeds from January, scored 15 goals last season with the Espanyol.”
    Joseph has been hunted by the likes of Manchester City and Barcelona, with a fee of £420,000 said have got the deal over the line [Daily Mail].

With Joe Gelhardt really starting to cement his spot more in the first-team rather than the under-23s, a spot has really opened up in Mark Jackson’s plans.

Joseph will start in that role from January and will be consistently available for the academy rather than the first team for the rest of this season at least.

That should bring more consistency to that squad, who have once again had to deal with Marcelo Bielsa being forced into cherry-picking them out for his Premier League squads.

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Remember Espanyol wanted £1m for young Mateo even though they knew he was going to walk away for free in June, so Leeds have done a deal to ensure we get the kid before Man City.

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Slow news day so lots of bollox stories around and the best one total bollox but Daily Star say Bielsa has been given an ultimatum to sign a contract for next season or else….. bollox

a proper story is an interview with Liam Cooper who says we have 3 stars who will be massive for Leeds going forward. Charlie Cresswell is the real deal and will go on to captain Leeds Uts, Joffy may break all scoring records for the club and Pascal Struijk is the complete package and once he finds his voice will be brilliant. I cannot argue with this view

OLOF, Gessa, ristac and 3 others like this.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Grayson sacked by Fleetwood Town after only 10 months. Relegation dogfight thanks to poor results and an 8 game winless streak. Bringing in Ryan Edmondson wont have helped as he has fired blanks and sits on the bench not up to it

12. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

It is very important that we get that win and a feel good factor going into the two homes games. Whilst a draw in all would get us another 3 points on the board, we really need to be getting a bit of distance between us and the bottom three. It doesn't take long to be sucked back into the mire.

southernwhite and OLOF like this.
  13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agreed and it’s how our own players and opposing ones start to let it creep into their heads. Like a commentator when they say “….Are facing a struggling Leeds United”. Teams are playing us now confident and expecting points.

I noticed on current form we’re bang on midway 10th but six games ago we had a win so next game that slips off, anything but a win and we’re going to be in the bottom few on the form guide. Brighton are winless in 6 so it’s a must win for me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  14. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

It's now getting to the point where draws are no good for us. We don't want to be kicking around the bottom 5 at Christmas.

With the way we are playing it's time for us to start sticking the ball in the net and win the next 3 games.

southernwhite and FORZA LEEDS like this.