1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 23rd Sept)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 23, 2020.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Wednesday 23rd September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road.

Agreement in principle reached over Llorente deal

Leeds Representatives lead by Victor Orta worked throughout the night to thrash out a deal for Real Sociedad's Spanish International central defender Diego Llorente He is due to undertake his medical this afternoon.

The San Sabastian Club sent a tweet out last night confirming that an agreement in principle with Leeds had been secured. At 8am this morning an announcement was made that a fee had been agreed between both clubs for Llorente's services.

The 27yo has five caps for the Spanish national side and was an unused substitute for both of this month's Nations League games.

According to the YEP, the deal could cost Leeds as much as 20m, once negotiations are finished.
    Llorente signed for Sociedad from Real Madrid in June 2017, joining for around £7m on a five-year deal.

Spanish football expert Guillem Balague has backed Diego Llorente to thrive in the Premier League with Leeds. "Diego Llorente is a very athletic centre-back who has played also as full-back and centre-midfielder. "Quality with his feet, he struggled a bit as he played left of the two centre-backs this season and had a muscle problem in January. "Clever and brave anticipating, but he perhaps needs to be stronger in 50-50s.

"Good in set-pieces both defending and attacking (scores goals). He has good pace and will need it to defend the big spaces Leeds create behind defenders. "He perhaps risks too much and produces a mistake or two, but he's considered on his best form to be one of the top five or six Spanish centre-backs."

It will be interesting to see what Bielsa has in store for Llorente? He was originally only looking for defensive cover, leaving Koch and.Cooper to forge a partnership. He can play defensive midfield as well, though of course that position is pretty much secured!

please log in to view this image

Solskjaer - James will not be moving this Summer

According to Manchester Evening News, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has no intention of letting Daniel James leave Old Trafford this Summer either permanently or on loan.

All this may change, if the Red side of Manchester are able to capture Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund for a reported 90m. It is well reported that Marcelo Bielsa is a staunch fan of James, but will he wait or turn his attention back to Ryan Kent. Media sources are claiming that Leeds are wanting to improve on their 10m bid for the former Liverpool star. Similar to James, Bielsa is a big fan of the Oldham born 23yo.

Rangers have disclosed that Kent has a 20m buyout clause in his contract. Compare that with with the 7.5m Rangers paid for him a year ago!

Premier League expresses disappointment not to allow fans back

The Premier League has issued a statement expressing its disappointment with the Government's decision not to allow fans to attend games from next month.

The league maintain that it would be 'safe or safer' for fans to go to football matches than to go to shops, pubs and restaurants.

The Premier League's statement read: 'The Premier League is certain that, through League-wide guidelines and a code of conduct developed with scientific experts and agreed by the Government’s Sports Ground Safety Authority, fans in stadiums will be as safe or even safer than at any other public activity currently permitted. This is already evident in other European leagues.

'The Premier League notes the Government’s announcement today and while the health of the nation must remain everyone’s priority, we are disappointed that the safe return of supporters to matches has been postponed.

'The Premier League is certain that, through League-wide guidelines and a code of conduct developed with scientific experts and agreed by the Government’s Sports Ground Safety Authority, fans in stadiums will be as safe or even safer than at any other public activity currently permitted. This is already evident in other European leagues.'

'Football is not the same without attending fans and the football economy is unsustainable without them. Last season, Premier League clubs suffered £700m in losses and at present, our national game is losing more than £100m per month. This is starting to have a devastating impact on clubs and their communities.'

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

Feel a bit sorry for Stuijk and feel LB, Keeper and Creative midfield are more pressing than CB but who’d have believed the signings of this quality this time last season

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Sort of miss Chippy because even if hed been here he would have been silent these last weeks. Radz is bad and ripping the club and fans off, no chance of promotion with Radz, Only ever buy bargain basement players.
    Still waiting for Eire to mention waiting a few weeks to see if the new players are any good <laugh>

hemase, ristac, Irishshako and 2 others like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

Another top top player in the door and only £17m by the way. Wouldnt worry about Struijk because how do we know he is going to be a CB? Yes he is the best of the U23s but they have 2 really good ones coming through and Struijk may be learning a new trade like Phillips did we know young Pascal was much better than Ben White as DM and we need cover there so maybe his new job. Llorente can also play there too

Remember Bielsa saying that he was impressed with Shef Utd coach who was unique in football for inventing rotating CBs and Bielsa admired the idea and was going to talk to the guy about it. Bielsa can now do that, or he can go to 3 at the back anytime he wants but I feel Cooper will be sliding onto the bench once Bielsa has his defence drilled but probably a month away yet.

5. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

To be fair to him had he said that promotion was impossible this season, I would have agreed

Doc likes this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

7. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt Doc and co from a very wet Bardsey
    Well it looks like we have signed another CB which I think is very sensible we now have 20 days to sort out a keeper with Gunn being mentioned Kiko can than go back to Spain
    De PAUL IS still being mooted but will they back down having noted that grounds will be shut until March I think they will
    No doubt Doc will fill us in with the latest news

8. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Looks a good signing for a good price. No idea what Leeds and Bielsa's thinking is with this one whether it means 3313 or dropping one of the current defenders who knows but it's nice having 4 CB's that should all be decent. Can't see Cooper being dropped unless it's for Struijk as I can't see a RCB playing LCB but good problems to have! Think Douglas will be out the door now.

I think we'll go for James if scum get Sancho or another winger but think that'll happen later in the window probably being our loan signing. Hopefully we also get the CM position sorted in the next week as I don't want that position being too late in the window as it's an essential to get someone to play inside of Pablo so we don't have to rely on him much. I love the thought of bringing Pablo on around 60 minutes each week.

Gutted about the fans. Can't see any fans being back this season in all honesty but hopefully I'm wrong.

Doc likes this.
  9. leeds60

I'm sure fans will be allowed before the end of the season but who knows

10. Easternwhite

Easternwhite Well-Known Member

LB is essential, Fulham targeted Dallas at the weekend for a reason. Good utility player, great work rate but I feel he may be found wanting at this level.
    Would still like to see RDP arrive.

11. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

I don't think it's 20 days left, more like a bit less than 2 weeks of the transfer window

Doc likes this.
  12. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Morning all. To be fair our big money signings have not so far looked anything like big money players. I know its early days but I would have expected to see a glimpse of quality from someone who cost £26 million.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Seems to be some worry about where Llorente plays or if he is an expensive sub. Llorente is a left side CB but plays right side just as effective and he can also play DM. He cant play LB and has been peed off in recent weeks because Sociedad's coach only wants to play 1CB which means he has been asked to play LB and left side midfield which isn't what he does

Llorente can replace either Koch or Cooper or Phillips and indeed play in a back 3.: I reckon once the defence has bedded in we will see exactly what Bielsa wants to do

blonogasoven likes this.
  14. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Two excellent posters driven away by politics. Anyone noticed who else is not around either.

Jammy 07 and Marcos Barber like this.
  15. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Anyone seen anything of Llorente?

16. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

I'm keeping quiet, when I saw the name I thought it was the ex Spurs striker. I was very confused.

Irishshako and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  17. leeds60

Quite right 12vdays left

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  18. leeds60

A matter of opinions I never saw eye to eye with Chippy

FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.
  19. leeds60

I think that Cooper will be benched soon

Doc likes this.
  20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

In Madrid right now having a medical and would imagine this morning and after his medical he will be agreeing His new 4 year package :emoticon-0148-yes:

Jay Roy Grot 22 and Nessy 24 nobody seems to want them for some reason, but we really need to get them off the books