1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 31st August)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Aug 31, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Tuesday 31st August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Bielsa finally gets his man

Leeds have beaten off interest from Leicester City and Brighton and look set to land Daniel James from Manchester United in a deal worth in the region of 25 m. The 23yo has fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford after securing the services of Jaden Sancho and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Leeds fans will be hoping that we do not see a repeat of the monumental catastrophe we saw during closing hours of the 2019 January transfer window. James was waiting patiently at Elland Road to be unveiled as a Leeds player, when Swansea Chairman Huw Jenkins suddenly decided to defy his board and scupper the deal. Although this led to Jenkins leaving the Liberty Stadium after 17 years in charge. Leeds now have to find an additional 15 m to secure the Welsh International's signature!

Bielsa is a firm favourite of James, and has been tracking him ever since he left the Swans during the 2019 Summer transfer window. James will undergo his medical this morning, and it set to be unveiled later this afternoon!

Is James the missing piece to the jigsaw?

please log in to view this image

Where does this leave Raphinha

Brazilian wizard Raphinha has been a revelation since his 17 m move from Rennes. His surging runs, close ball control and ability to beat his man has made him a fan's favourite at Elland Road. What he doesn't have is blistering pace, and that's where Daniel James comes in.

There is no way Bielsa will want to drop one of his most creative influences, so can we expect to him in central midfield, and if so where does this leave record signing Rodrigo? The 30yo has been unable to recapture the form he showed towards the end of last season, which was intramental in helping the Whites achieve a ninth place finish!

Outgoings

Leeds will need to recoup some of the 25 m reserved for Daniel James, so we can expect to see at least one player exit the club today. The most likely, and widest tipped player to leave is Helder Costa. Since his 15 m move to Elland Road, the 27yo's form has been inconsistent at best, usually being utilised as a second half substitute! Apart from Costa, who else do we expect to see leave?

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all…

I know Dan James divides opinion but let’s all give him a chance. 24hrs ago we were not adding anyone to the squad, at the very least we’re now getting an upgrade on Costa and Poveda. I’d loved to have seen what Summerville would have brought to the table but sadly Bielsa feels he isn’t ready.

I was so excited when we signed Rodrigo and he’s been a huge disappointment. I was slightly excited about Raphinha and he’s been superb. With James we have a young lad who can improve, he is a Brit so no settling in period, he has lots of PL experience and is used to playing in front of a huge demanding crowd.

I’d have loved a top drawer ACM to join but it was never going to be during this window. I think this signing answers a question for me, did we have available funds? Yes we obviously did so the murmurs that Noa Lang and a few others were wanted by Orta but Bielsa knocked them back seem to be true.

Bielsa has wanted this lad for ages, he has a plan on how he wishes to use him, a position and formation already in mind. I think (and hope) we’re all going to be on the same page in regards to James in a few weeks time.

3. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning all

Although his form has not been as it once was under OGS due largely to mostly being ignored, and behind multimillion stars in the pecking order, I think james has all the building blocks to become a great player under the correct guidance, and I think Bielsa will make him that great player.
    In my mind a great buy and looking forward to seeing him in a Leeds shirt where he will shine.

4. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

So once again our bi polar fan base comes out in force.

"We need more signings."
    "the squad isn't strong enough."
    "Radz is a chancer with no money."
    "We need better players."

Club on verge of breaking transfer record on player Bielsa has wanted for nearly three years.

"No, not him."
    "Dont want a player from the scum."
    "We've spent too much."

Honestly it is exhausting at times.

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

Dan James now puts pressure on Jack Harrison and will need to learn how to play with Junior. He will also add pressure on Raphinha down the right so needs to learn to play with Ayling. Due to International break I dont expect to see him start anytime soon. Yes Bielsa could try Raphinha at 10 and why not but have a feeling we will see a CM arrive today for some reason. £50m spent this window so far and I can see Costa on his way to Spain.

Robbie Gotts should sign for Oldham today, Hossanah and Stevens should sign for L2 clubs later too. I believe these are roper transfers and not loans. Bobby Kamwa still to sort

Hope Dan James wasnt in the same hotel room as last time, waiting to sign. He was in Leeds last night and takes his medical round about now

Jammy 07, foolee and hemase like this.
  6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Leeds United have held talks with FC Midtjylland ace (defensive midfielder) Jens Cajuste ahead of a potential deadline-day move. £14m is the fee being quoted, he is 22 five Swedish caps 87 senior club appearances, Brentford, Wolves, Palace and Newcastle also interested.

This is all according to a Danish red top paper so make of it what you will.

hemase likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Done and dusted

southernwhite likes this.
  8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I posted a picture yesterday of a thumbs up from Orta out of his office window. I since read it was a screen capture from a video of him celebrating. They’re saying the deal was done yesterday evening.

The more I think about the signing, the more I’m convinced we’re going to see Raphinha used as an attacking midfielder through the middle. The space he might get with defenders fearful of James pace out wide could be frightening

LeedsRover1, southernwhite and hemase like this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Could be but I think we now have a lot of attacking options when you look at the players up top
    • Harrison can play RW and LW
    • James can play RW and LW….. could he play AM?
    • Raphinha can play RW, LW and AM
    • Rodrigo can play 7,8,9,10 and 11
    • Dallas can play LW, RW and AM
    • Roberts 9&10
    A lot to play with there for Bielsa and maybe what he has always wanted Cista was just a RW who couldnt cope with the style so struggled to deliver. Poveda struggled to produce end product. If we do land a new AM we will have plenty of cover everywhere

southernwhite, foolee and hemase like this.
  10. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Reading that and then thinking about the likes of Shackleton, Koch and hopefully Forshaw being able to play in midfield either with or as cover for Phillips or starts to look like a fairly strong squad.

Doc likes this.

11. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

I so misread what you wrote there. Was thinking how the hell can he have 87 caps for Sweden when he's only 22 :)

ristac likes this.
  12. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

James needs a arm around him.
    He never got that at Scum. the fans didn't like him, the Manager didn't believe in him.
    He was always fighting a losing battle. but you have got to give the lad balls to say I'm staying and want to fight for my place in the last window shows he believes in himself and his ability.
    At the time of going to Scum I really don't think we had a choice they stumped up £15m when we were a championship club. we were pushed out simple as that.
    The lad has everything Bielsa's attacking players need.
    Yes he has to improve certain aspects of his game but christ he's still a kid he 23! he's only played 80 odd games in his career. The lad needs a chance.
    I think the guidance of Bielsa the arm around the shoulder along with actually feeling he's part of a team will do him the world of good.

Phil Hay says Costa available for loan
    probably because we aren't going to get anything back on what we paid for him. Wolves deffo pulled our pants down in that one.

13. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Best Tweet on transfer deadline day
    From a Leeds fan too come on lad sort it out eh! <steam>

It's quite simple. Dan James will come to Leeds and within a year will get the call up to play for England with Phillips and Bamford. Young talent at Leeds is progressed to England quality.

hemase and Brizzlewhite like this.
  14. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Costa no longer coffee but the new toast. Loan him out and try to cut losses. Let's face it we made a loss on Forshaw who was never fit but we had to pay him.

15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Lots of truth in this because we really need a squad where every one of them contributes. I say this because we are struggling with a small squad and every injury or suspension hurts us and in cup comps. Last season Forshaw and Berardi were on full pay but only 2 appearances by Berardi and Pablo hardly used was also paid a good wage. Yes we have been good by looking after 2 long term injured, but if we are going to have 18 players it must be 18 players we can rely in, and Poveda and Costa are unreliable, so offload. I can now see the remaining players all needed and will be used

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

To be confirmed soon

Jordan Stevens loan to Barrow, his career at Leeds effectively over
    Robbie Gotts being sold to Oldham on a permanent deal
    Bryce Hosannah being sold to Wrexham on a permanent deal

17. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Gotts looked as though he had a chance to make it.
    Stevens the off field problems are too much
    And Hosannah, injuries have thwarted the poor kid, really looked the deal at one stage.

Doc likes this.
  18. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

In English anyone

Sorted.

He has asked about the signing of Helder Costa from @Lufc

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  19. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

He's
    He's effed off senor

20. FORZA LEEDS