1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 18, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Tuesday 18th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds ace snubs new deal - could depart this Summer

A number of clubs including Newcastle are closely monitoring the situation with Tyler Roberts, after the 22yo snubbed a long term contract that would keep the Welsh International at Elland Road until the Summer of 2026.

The versatile forward is currently under contract at Elland Road until next Summer. To many peoples surprise, Bielsa highly rates Roberts, and has instructed the hierarchy to dangle a lucrative new deal to the youngster. His current deal is nothing to shout home about. He earns £3,500 a week, making him one of the poorest paid players on the Leeds roster. It is believed the new deal is worth £20,000 a week.

Steve Bruce has seen enough of Roberts this season to want him to switch to St James Park. If he were to leave, Leeds would want in the region of 10m. Its a lot of money for someone with a year left on their contract.

please log in to view this image

Have Leeds solved their left back problem

Whilst being linked to players up and down the continent, Leeds may have identified the answer to their left back problem, a lot closer to home. Jacob Murphy has one year left on his contract at St James Park and is in no hurry to renew. The 26yo signed for the barcodes from his boyhood club Norwich City back in 2017 for 12m. Since then the former England International has been in and out of Newcastle's starting line up!

Murphy's main attribute is his speed. Sky Sports recently revealed that he had reached a top speed of 36.5km/h (almost 23mph) this season, making him not only the fastest player in the football league, but the second fastest player in the World behind Alphonso Davies by a tenth of a second.

Given his contractual status, a fee of around 6m should be enough to tempt Newcastle to sell. Burnley, Southampton, Watford and Rangers are also interested.

please log in to view this image

Leeds 3rd in latest form guide

Five wins, two draws and a loss (against Brighton) was enough to catapult the Whites to third place in the latest top flight form guide. Only Manchester City and Liverpool had a better record, though neither were unable to tame Bielsa's lads when the sides met over this very period.

If anyone had suggested at the beginning of the season that we'd beat Citeh, Spurs, Fulham and the Blades; hold our own against the red side of Manchester and the current League Champions, then destroy Burnley, even the most optimistic of fans would not have believed it.

Are Leeds still on their honeymoon period?

How much of a difference has Llorente made?

If offered Ben White in the Summer for 30m, would we still need him?

form.jpg

2. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

That's good news Roberts doesn't want to sign s new contract
    he tried, but, he's just not good enough for the prem or Leeds, he may shine in a lower championship team,
    take coco with you.
    See ya.

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

Without fear of being called a Roberts hater, I will say this. Roberts may come good at some stage but after his 25 first team appearances this season, I only saw 2 decent performances and when you add that to the other appearances of last season I count a max of 4 decent games mixed in with spells of good touches, good pace but lacking end product except for 1 assist this season. Does he get into Bielsas first 11 - no. He obviously has a high opinion of himself if the contract refusal story is correct. For me he is not as good as Joe Gelhardt right now and he never will be, so let him leave.

Ben White was so last season

4. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Roberts is up his own arse, the logic here is to offer him to the Geordies and ask for Murphy, so if the totals are right we'd still make 4 million:)

Infidel, bucks_is_leeds, OLOF and 5 others like this.
  5. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

He's still young and maybe a move would be the making of him. I can't believe he's an International player though. He obviously has the hump, so if we could get 10million for him(I don't know where that figure has come from) I'd drive him to his new club myself.:grin:

bucks_is_leeds, OLOF and SIDDAS like this.
  6. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

First Season is always the toughest but we have shown enough that we mean business.
    Yes promoted clubs do generally struggle but alot of these clubs struggle because they can't attract the Good Premier League player. Sheff Utd's, Norwich's, West Brom's, Bournemouth's of this world they won't be going out and Signing Rodrigo,Koch,Raphinha,Llorente because they won't be interesred.
    Not being disrespectful to those clubs but we are bigger than them on a global scale and most importantly we still can attract big named players it's already proven this season and hopefully we will continue in the same vein.
    Llorente has made a massive improvement. but, it's not all down to him but good players stand out like a sore thumb and Llorente is one of those players.

Ben White is a fab player and if we were offered him he's a player you can't refuse. As above he's to good a player for Brighton. He's living his dream playing Premier League football yes but if he want's to add silverware and international caps to his name he needs a move. Not saying that's us just in general.

7. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Not a one for transfer news but Let's be honest would anyone on here refuse £10m for Roberts.
    If so I would love to hear the reasoning to it.

OLOF, ristac and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Agreed Shaks but think we all know we need to improve the squad for next season and where is it required. left Back and midfield. So Alioski and Roberts need upgrading as we have 2 weak link positions right now. Add in Costa who has also had a poor season....... to be frank I give Costa more chance of showing Leeds fans what he can do, but ultimately Bielsa chooses and I go with what he says.

It may be that Bielsa eels he can keep the same number of players in his squad by seeing Berardi and Pablo leave, then adding a LB and a AM, which is fine. However adding a new AM means Roberts is still a bench player

foolee and Irishshako like this.
  9. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Roberts in my humble but correct opinion knows moreno will start before him. So it's time to listen to mr 10% his agent and sign a new contract elsewhere.
    It would be good business on our part and generate some funds towards our left back kitty. Perhaps there are a few pennies still left in Graysons war chest. <laugh><laugh><laugh>

bucks_is_leeds, OLOF and Irishshako like this.
  10. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

10 million for Roberts would be a good deal going into the last year or so of his contract. I am happy for him to stay but if he goes then that is a good deal.

Ben White is a no for me. A good player no doubt but we are in no need of a player in the posistions he plays. Struijk, for free, is as good in defence and Koch for what we spent on him is a good CB and has shown himself to be good cover for Phillips.

11. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

I hope you realise there is an orderly que forming for this task <grr>

12. wakeybreakyheart

Would he fit on the roof rack. Then he could do his black power salute up the A1.

Infidel, OLOF, FORZA LEEDS and 2 others like this.
  13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

I’d written off Dallas a season or two back now look at him, maybe Roberts will become great who are we to argue with Bielsa? The difference for me is Dallas is likeable, I just can’t take to Roberts so good riddance if he wants away

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cant argue with that. I would also add that I believe every player who has started over 10 games has scored except Roberts. Alioski even has 2 and 2 assists. I think I can also say from a personal view that every player who has put on the shirt this season has at some stage made me say wow. Alioski isnt good enough as a LB but he has scored a couple of screamers and created a couple of goals and he has also done things that make me smile. Its even the same with Povida and Costa, Costa scored a couple and created plenty and done things which were brilliant, just not often enough. I can say I have had a great experience from everyone in the team at times. Poveda can be scary but lacks end product maybe it will come? But for me he is like Roberts who at times shows promise but no end product and to be fair he is the player that has made me scream at the telly more than anyone

ristac and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  15. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

I must be one of the very few (well, myself and Bielsa anyway :biggrin:) who thinks Alioski is good enough at LB.

For some reason he seems to have more pace about him this season, particularly when he's overlapping with Harrison, and his crossing has improved. Added bonus is he winds up the opposition.

I'd like to see him stay.

16. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and his followers from a sunny Bardsey
    The Liverpool keeper has scored more goals than Roberts for me he doesn't show the will or the desire so 10m yes please
    Wehave had great success with the players this season Dallas Bamford Lorente Raphina Harrison have stood out but have ben ably backed by Ayling and from Sat Rodrigo
    We need to sell Roberts Hernandez Coco etc
    New left back is needed

ristac, Whitejock, ellandback and 4 others like this.
  17. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Must say if Roberts goes to Toon then they could do a video tape of him and Joelington on how to miss a goal between them they may amass 3 goals all season surely they should buy Brewster as well!

Whitejock, Irishshako and Doc like this.
  18. wakeybreakyheart

Joking aside it will be a short but interesting transfer window. I think just two additions will join us. The list will be already drawn up and contacts made.
    A bonus would be kiko leaving for his home country. The feeling of relief not having him on the bench would be immense. As signings go he has to be up there with the worst ever. Given his prior status i would say orta got mugged.

OLOF, Irishshako and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Well worth a watch this and great to see Dom doing so well now. Wonder if its the same thing with Phil Hay who is now recovering at home.

20. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I give you kalvin Phillips. At 22 and after several years of rank mediocrity he was producing sporadic good performances, fans were split on him many were wondering why he stayed and vieira left.

Tyler Roberts is 22, British and adapting roles to playing probably the hardest role in football in the toughest league.

And whilst his stats are undeniably poor, he hasn’t had much luck either:
    https://www.planetfootball.com/tren...-wants-to-have-fun-but-football-wont-let-him/

Genuinely I see a lad with some talent - whether that’s enough for him to step up over time, I haven’t a clue, so I’m happy for bielsa to decide if he has it or not. If the management team believe in him, I’m happy to have him as part of the squad... if they’ve lost patience with him, I get that and I’m happy for him to move on.