1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 14th Aug)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Aug 14, 2018.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

Jamal Blackman, Jamie Shackleton, Tom Pearce, Lewis Baker, Tyler Roberts and Jack Harrison are all expected to start this evening against Bolton in the first round of the Carabao Cup.

With this amount of talent, will Bolton be wandering whats hit them?

According to the press, Sheffield United have beaten Leeds United to the signing of Brighton midfielder Oliver Norwood with the Northern Ireland international ungoing a medical yesterday

The Blades have agreed a deal to sign Norwood on loan until January with the deal set to become permanent for £2million when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.

I would doubt Leeds are too bothered tbh.

Leeds are favourites to top the league!!!

Bet365 are offering odds of 5/1 for Leeds to finish the 2018/19 season as favourites. Stoke and Boro are joint second at 13/5 with West Brom 15/2.

Leeds are also the shotest odds to be promoted this season. 15/8. Stoke are narrowly behind at 2/1

For Leeds to finish in the top 6 is 8/13.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Farsleyexile and ristac like this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all..

Start of a Cup and Championship double tonight ;)

hemase likes this.
  3. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Morning all <ok> Interesting to see if the reserves can fill the roles laid down by Belisa

Farsleyexile likes this.
  4. Brendan Sheerin

Brendan Sheerin Well-Known Member

Unpopular opinion: I hope we get knocked out of the cup as soon as possible.

Playing the second team is smart and I have a feeling MB has been told to fob off the cup and focus on the promotion. Would not be dissapointed in the slightest.

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

We should tonight see how much the new signings have taken on board since arriving. Bielsa said at the weekend that the reason Roofe gets selected over Bamford is 40 days. Roofe has an extra 40 days taking in the Bielsa philosophy so with luck these new signings will put in a shift and try and win starting positions for the Rotherham game. Nessy will play a part tonight even though he faded in last nights second half. Apparently he was due to play the Phillips role in the first team squad? The U23s are playing the same system as Bielsas first team squad so looking good. wonder which players keep there place from Saturday as he surely wont use kids..... will he...... maybe he will?

Just read a piece about Edmondson and why Bielsa thinks hes the real deal. He also said that he is impressed with his level headed thinking and maturity after watching how Edmondson resolved a problem with senior team mates? Sounds like he broke up a bit of bovver?

6. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I doubt it. He has his model of 2 players per position, only 12 or 13 will get game time usually, cup is where the others get to start which means 1. Bielsa can see them play competitively ( he was even at the U23s last night) and
    2. The second team are less frustrated than if they are not playing

Can’t see why we’d positively want to be out of cup, even if no one is going to cry too much if we do go put

hemase, Irishshako and Whitejock like this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Just read the match report and player points from last nights U23 game against Coventry. 5 stand outs as the rest were 5s and 6s which isnt good but Stevens (Brought off at half time) showed class and creativity got 8 and may just be in tonights squad LDB 8. Ideguchi 9, Clarke and Dalby 9

8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Previous seasons I’d have been against this but after the first two games I can understand why it might be a blessing in disguise. I think if we progressed a few rounds it might become an issue but we’re only 2 games into the season and with a chunk of talent on the bench unable to stake a claim for a starting spot I’d love a win tonight.

This game could be a great reflection of how good we really are, if none of those selected for tonight’s game step up to the plate then then we will have major problems as tiredness, bookings and injuries start to take their toll this season. We need and more importantly Bielsa needs to know who is ready to step straight in.

If we can pick out at least a few players tonight who stand out and look ready then that will be great news.

9. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Morning all

Doc, you’re the stats king and have time on your hands. Would love to know how many times last year we went on to score again after conceding. Done it in both games this season. Attack would seem to be the best form of defence when we have players like Roofe, Hernandez, Saiz, Alioski and I think part of last seasons problems lay with both managers trying to protect a lead or going for a draw when we haven’t got the players to do it.

The obvious exception was Millwall at home, two down with ten men, threw caution to the wind, turned it around (best 20 minutes of football at ER last season for me) but then went defensive again and blew it.

We are sure to get picked off by a few teams this year but the MB philosophy should see us bounce back more than we were able to last year.

Normally wouldn’t give a fig about tonight but it’s an opportunity to show we have other players capable of doing the Bielsa!!

IBWT

10. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Any news on Glory pal?

11. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Agree with Brendan. Couldnt give a toss about tonights game. Been my attitude to the cup/reserve matches for years

12. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Doubt we’ll hear anything until later in the week now, will keep you updated as and when

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac

14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Bucks

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Brendan, I agree, though looking forward to seeing what the second string can do...

16. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I posted similar about Nessi elsewhere, Doc. Hadn't read your post here at the time. Can't see him playing 2 matches in 2 days though, can you? Isn't he also a bit behind with his fitness due to his rehab?

I listened to the bit about Edmondson, but have no clue what he did. I really don't think it was a bust-up. I'm sure Bielsa used the word kindness amongst others. It was like he went out of his way to help his team mates to the detriment of himself. Something like staying on late to do some shooting practice to help out the keepers, or something. (Pretty sure it wasn't this, but you know what I mean.). Then again, if anyone could separate 2 fighting players, it would deffo be Hulk Edmondson, eh? :)

17. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

That would be interesting Bucks, but I think they'll rebel and follow Bielsa's roles set out for them, just saying like.....:emoticon-0105-wink:

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Doc, Leeds movement off the ball has been stunning so far this season. It will be interesting to see whether the second XI can do the same. Whast has happened to Roberts?

19. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning 2020

2020VisionofLeeds likes this.
  20. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

I personally don't like seeing our coaches using weakened second 11 teams, however, I suspect that won't be the case against Bolton. How the team plays against Bolton is going to show us our depth of strength, which is a great thing for around the middle of season. If they don't perform to Bielsa's expected standards, then we'll have a few niggling problems along the way.