1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 12th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 12, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Thursday 12th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Relegation beckons for sad Whites

Leeds Premier League survival hopes lie in tatters after being taken apart by Chelsea last night. It was far from a convincing performance by Thomas Tuchel's men, but Leeds made it easy for them, by making life difficult for themselves. There was very little for the Elland Road faithful to get excited about. Leeds were constantly exposed at the back, missing up front, and the less said about the midfield, the better, yet they refuse to give up on their idols, even though the signs show the players already have.

There was more than a touch of Déjà Vu, after Nathan Mount had calmed the visitors nerves, putting them ahead on four minutes, followed twenty minutes later by another red card. James' two footed assault on Mateo Kovacic was right in front of the referee. Anthony Taylor had little option but to prematurely bring Dan James' season to an end.

The Blues doubled their advantage ten minutes into the second half, with Nathan Mount turning provider this time. Christian Pulisic's well-placed strike from the edge of the area, left Meslier rooted to the spot. Lakaku added a third, seven minutes from time. Surrounded by four defenders, the Belgium International was still able to twist and turn, and finally unleash a thunderbolt into the roof of the net.

It was a sad and desperate performance by Jesse Marsch's men. The visitors rarely had to step out of second gear, whilst Leeds were unable to muster a single shot on target. It begs the question, which team are actually the over paid Prima Donna's?

please log in to view this image

Not fit to wear the shirt

On a night which meant so much to the club, it was heartbreaking to see our former Talismen fail so miserably to step up to the plate. Both Raphinha, and Phillips seemed content to go through the motions, stopping every now and again to have a chat with their counterparts, whilst hiding their mouths in fear their conversations were revealed.

Leeds still have six points to play for, and may well need them if they are to stand any chance of surviving the drop. Leaders are in short supply at Elland Road at the moment, but it only takes one, and others may follow. Do they have the stomach to fight til the end? Would Leeds be better omitting them from the season finale?

Was the ship sinking before Marsch took the helm

When Jesse Marsch took the helm at the beginning of March, many thought the American would steer Leeds away from trouble, but unfortunately he has failed miserably, but had the damage already been done?
    tab66 copy.jpg

Whilst Marsch has not been able to influence the results as much as we would like, it's important to remember that he has not been afforded an opportunity to bring any players in. He is solely reliant on Bielsa's wafer thin squad of sub-standard players! Yes, we've had injuries, but as Phillips recently adhered to, overtraining has contributed. Unfortunately, we may still be seeing the after effects of Bielsa's gruelling schedule now!

Was the ship sinking before Marsch took the helm? Would Bielsa have got us out of trouble? Have the players deserted the cause?

Attached Files:

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  2. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Big mistake getting rid of Bielsa. Yes we were losing heavily on a regular basis but then we had a run of easier games and players returning. We’d have more points if he’d stayed.

We’ve now become the worst team in the division with a mediocre at best coach.

Can’t see us getting anything from the last two games.

3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

On a positive. Whichever of the three in the relegation battle lose their remaining games, they'll likely be the ones relegated. There is still hope. Mind you we might need a whole new team for Sunday. Anyway this mess is fully on Radz and his sidekicks heads

4. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning all
    I think i had one of those knee jerk reactions last night, i was furious at the performance, however this morning feeling more calm as looking at the bigger picture, that i expected zero points from the last three games and that was exactly what we got, so no surprises their really. But what's most alarming was the shocking performances a lot of the players showed no pride in the shirt & even more alarming no ability, it's as though they have thrown in the towel. Big defeats make no difference anymore as we already had a shocking goal difference for which Burnley's is far superior. Even bigger test's await in the finale two games we need at least four points from them (preferably six) to keep our top flight status. Which begs the question are these players up for it, do they really understand what it means to play for Leeds are they capable of getting these points? I am very worried for this club's immediate future.

5. southernwhite

Yes, No, and unfortunately YES. :(

6. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

The only thing I keep telling myself is that I expected zero points from the City, Arse and Chelsea games and so we got exactly what I expected. But it's the manner of the defeat last night that hurts, the players just didn't look interested.

It's now all down to two games I'd assumed we'd be able to get something from. Burnley's miracle run seems to have ended and they have three difficult games left. Whichever team gets even a single point in the games left could well stay up. It ain't over yet, even though it's starting to feel that way.

7. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

The teams we have left to play Brighton & Brentford are both mid table sided on 47 and 43 points respectively. Both good teams but not unbeatable with the right tactics and application. Unfortunately though the third most important criteria is believe and it would seem we have little to none of that at the moment.

We'll need something to go our way to turn that around, an early goal or the opposition getting a red card who knows but as it stands we're falling and no one is going to catch us.

ristac, OLOF and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  8. southernwhite

So you do believe in miracles then Jammy, but aye fingers crossed. <magic>

9. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Morning all

I'm beyond deflated after last night's game. The fact we're 18th with 2 games left makes me wanna cry. I know I'm repeating myself but this is the worst season I've seen as a Leeds fan. I'm sick of people blaming the board for this 100%. This is down to Bielsa wanting a stupidly thin squad and not getting players in January when it was obvious we needed them.

Was the ship sinking when Marsch came in? The simple answer was yes... and this is where I point the finger at the board for SOME of the blame. It took 10 games to register a win but they kept faith in Bielsa, other boards would have fired the manager 3 or 4 games beforehand. The final crunch point should have been in December after Citeh and Arsenal humiliated us but they kept the faith and let Bielsa waste the window.

We had 2 opportunities to address the problem but nothing was done, but the Bielsa UTD wouldn't have had it. Simple as. A new manager could have strengthened back in Jan and we would not have been in this situation.

10. Jammy 07

If you asked me who I want in charge for the last 2 games I'd say anyone but Marsche.

It's not going to happen but sacking Dyche gave Burnley a boost as the players more or less worked it out amongst themselves. Of course that can't last but as proven it can be effective in the short term.

Last edited: May 12, 2022

11. southernwhite

My feelings exactly Wolves :emoticon-0148-yes:

12. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<applause><applause><applause>

Norwayleedsforever likes this.
  13. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Although they're both midtable sides, sadly Brighton in particular are a good side... they just lost their way mid-season from shocking finishing and should have many more points. Despite that they have the third best away record in the league. We need to keep 11 players on the pitch, ride our luck and catch a break. We're not going to put either of them to the sword with free flowing football that's for sure.

I have this horrible split screen vision of us being 4th bottom in injury time at brentford, and pontus getting a late goal whilst chris wood misses a sitter at burnley.

southernwhite likes this.
  14. Jammy 07

Ignore my last post about sacking Marsche.

He needs to own this ****show and prove he can coach.

15. Mr Wolves-White

I don't think that game against Newcastle matters. Burnley will beat Villa and send us down. RITGK pointed out last night we could be relegated by Sunday evening

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Depressing day and looking at the 3 clubs trying to stay up the thing they all have in common is that they all brought in new managers. Leeds brought in someone who has a philosophy like Bielsa, a coach who demands super fitness, a coach who demands a pressing game, a coach demanding quick transition into attack. Sorry not seen any of that. After over a month off in breaks and 10 league games, the players look baffled, useless and seemingly cannot pass a ball.

Everton have an inexperienced manager who has done nothing in management or coaching except moan and write complaints letters. Burnley have an U23 coach in charge. Both clubs have been beating top 6 teams whereas Leeds haven't and only managed to beat teams they are expected to beat.

There has been lots of comments about Bielsa but even though I would have preferred him to stay rather than suffer this shytshow, but Bielsa was a one trick pony and wasnt capable of changing his tactics. Im a massive fan of his but small squad, injuries, square pegging etc cost him his job. The coach I expected to take over from him is a Bielsa disciple and has followed Bielsa into a couple of Bielsa’s S.American clubs, took over the Argentina National team and the Chile National team, plus Olympique Marseille. Bielsa was asked about Jiorge Sampaeoli, he said he is one of the best coaches in the world. He is better than me because he is capable of changing the team and tactics midway through games, I cannot. He has various set-ups and tactics for each game I am not able to do that, so Jiorgi is better than me.

17. southernwhite

<yikes> Where's the i don't like button !!!!

Leedsoflondon likes this.
  18. Mr Wolves-White

It's the sad truth mate. Sadly I think there are a 100 ways we could go down

19. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

The book of motivational quotes is available on Amazon Kindle @ £3.20
    There’s 500 quotes available
    I’ll give Jesse one for free
    When the going gets tuff the tuff get going
    To actually admit that he gets his motivational quotes from a book shows just how nieve he is and must be one of the biggest turn offs for the players
    Whoever is responsible for bringing this idiot into the club wants shooting
    Ps what I’d like to know is where is the money coming from to strengthen when we are in the Championship

20. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

The only problem is he is already at a bigger club and only seems to hold a job down for 1 or 2 years.