1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 3rd October)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Oct 3, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Monday 3rd October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds & Villa gave a new meaning to the term - bore draw

Leeds and Villa gave a new meaning to the term - bore draw, during an excruciating 90 minutes of football from Elland Road yesterday afternoon. It takes a lot to silence a packed out Elland Road, but somehow they managed it, surely evidencing why both teams find themselves at the wrong end of the table.

Villa dominated the statistics (apart from fouls), but Leeds for their credit held firm, fortifying their defence when reduced to 10 men, early in the second half. Marsch's men only managed to muster a single shot on target to Villa's seven. Had the visitors been more clinical in front of goal, they could have had a hatful, yet 19 further opportunities went astray.

Following the final whistle, the camera concentrated on Jesse Marsch - a relieved man; though not sure his allayed demeanour was for rescuing a point, or the spectacle was over.

please log in to view this image

Hay rips into Attwell

Phil Hay ripped into referee Stuart Attwell after the game, likening the fluency of his performance to the M25 in rush hour. The man in black dished out 35 fouls, 5 bookings and an early bath for Sinisterra during 90 minutes of mind-numbing hell; but the truth is Leeds don't help themselves. Many of the fouls committed were avoidable, but as Brian Deane mentioned in a recent interview, if you're going to get a yellow card, make sure your opponent knows about it.

Sinisterra's red was avoidable. It shows a complete and utter disregard for discipline, especially when you're on a booking already. Is it double standards - yes! In the opening five minutes, a Villa player kicked the ball away when his team didn't a throw-in decision, yet he was only given a stern word!

"Stuart Attwell in the form of his life, a referee giving this Sky Sports Super Sunday’s late-afternoon slot the fluency of the M25 in rush hour. There is one born every minute, they say, and fouls came at a rate of one almost every two. There were 35, seven yellow cards and a red one for Leeds’ Luis Sinisterra at the start of the second half, ultimately born of his own indiscipline but firing up an argument about what exactly constituted a booking on the day."

There are no excuses

Jesse Marsch had virtually a fully fit team at his disposal yesterday, yet could only muster a single shot on target, against a Villa side that already have their fair share of problems. Is it too early in the season to push the panic button?

At least last season, we could point the finger at our injury list, but what excuses can be made now? Our lack of discipline, and inability to successfully tackle led us to giving away 23 free kicks yesterday, many from dangerous positions. Only frivolous finishing from the visitors afforded us a point. The only difference between the Brentford game, and Villa, was that the Bees took advantage of their opportunities.

2. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Still numbed by that bore of a game, and i can never ever remember being bored watching Leeds (which was mostly down to the god damn awful Villa tactics) Gerrard should offer the fans at least a 50% refund for what he and his team put them through.
    <sorry>
    Good morning all
    Looking forward to the Palace/Arsenal games whatever the results, at least they go out and play football.

3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Garbage game and Im being kind. Worrying thing is we've now played three anti football sides so far this season, Wolves and Everton being the others and we've beaten none of them. Im afraid it looks like well be hovering just above the relegation mark for a good chunk of the season but so will many more it seems. Awful referee, awful villa tactics but make no mistake about it, we were also dire

Bysshe, Doc and southernwhite like this.
  4. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Controversial opinion perhaps, but I’ve heard it said that it might be an advantage to have more players on the pitch than the opposition. Apparently getting someone sent off may impact a game. Just a crazy thought about the stats imbalance,

Too early to hit the panic button for me, but for everyone else if it makes you feel better, panic away <cheers>

5. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Even in the friendly we had here Villa were slow, time wasting, disruptive, dirty, breaking any momentum of the game up and generally not entertaining. I hope Gerrard takes a really good look at himself.

southernwhite likes this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Ref was useless and didn't seem to understand consistency. Gerrard said the ref was good, well he would wouldn't he. The ref lost control, VAR?

Besides the ref Im having problems with Marsch who seems to like a punch up and wants players fighting instead of playing flowing football. Villa are crap, Gerrard is out of his depth and his players have reverted to punch up football and slowing games down to suit them, we just fell in and let them dictate.

if that shot from Rodrigo which shaved the post hadnt turned at the last second we are one up and the game is different and would have been an easy 3 points. However looking at some of our players reactions to Marsch tactics shows me we have some upset in the camp. Roca was fuming again because he didnt deserve to be hooked again. Harrison should have been hooked in tHe first half and would have been good to see Gnonto run at Villa because that ugly fk Mings would have got himself sent off trying to stop him. We are going to be in another ugly war at Palace next and thats yet another game we really need to win

ristac, Eric Le Merde and Eireleeds1 like this.
  7. milkyboy

erm we did beat wolves.

but we will struggle against sides doing that. Our system is better suited to swarming sides who come to play, and we lack the guile to break down the sides who park the bud.

8. Eireleeds1

The villa fans for the most part on social media can't stand him. I couldn't repeat what my son in law was saying <laugh>

southernwhite likes this.
  9. Eireleeds1

You are correct, my apologies. Not sure I've seen sides parking the bud though, that's a new one <laugh> maybe call in shaks to sort that one

10. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

It's a good thing to have the prescribed number players on the pitch but really that sending off was weak when players in the same game were doing two footed off the ground tackles and smirking when they received no sanction.

OLOF, FORZA LEEDS and Doc like this.

11. milkyboy

…When your fingers are thicker than your iPhone keypad all kinds of cliche variants are possible <laugh><laugh>

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  12. milkyboy

I like roca but thought he was part of the problem yesterday

against sides like this you have to get a goal to make them open up. Otherwise they’ll camp up all day and look to find space occasionally on the counter against our rather immobile defence.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Guessing Joffy is another who's upset with Marsch as he was not even in the squad yesterday. Pecking order for strikers was Rodrigo then Bamford then Gnonto and we still have an unfit Bamford who picked up yet another niggle last week in training

14. Eireleeds1

Time has come for joffy to at least go out on loan. Otherwise his career will stall completely. Doesn’t look like he’ll ever be a first choice for us

bucks_is_leeds and Doc like this.
  15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

VAR favoured us yesterday, I was convinced Cooper was going to be giving a penalty away for the shirt pull. The referee was poor but Sinisttera only has himself to blame for the second yellow

I can see hope in every player, they’re not bad, we have some great signings but something is wrong in the style of play. They’re not complimenting each other enough

Bamford is a worry with another injury, is it time to put Gnonto and even Joseph ahead of him, I’m not convinced with Joffy myself

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  16. milkyboy

Any player that isn’t playing will be frustrated. But we all know from last season that we needed a bigger squad. At the moment we have few injuries.

overtraining or luck? <whistle><whistle>

17. Eireleeds1

More worrying perhaps is an unfit Bamford is still our greatest threat when he does appear

ristac likes this.
  18. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

IMG-20220929-WA0043(1).jpg

19. Eireleeds1

When will Cooper learn that if you pull a shirt in the box with a dozen cameras and var watching, it will almost always result in a penalty

ristac likes this.
  20. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I get your point but I think in this case the decision was offside so was never going to VAR