1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th March)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Mar 30, 2020.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Monday 30th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road.

Kalvin Phillips - I want to spend the rest of my career at Leeds

In a recent interview, Kalvin Phillips has revealed that he wants to spend the rest of his career at Elland Road.

The tough tackling 24yo, dubbed the 'Yorkshire Pirlo' has gone from strength to strength under Bielsa's reign; catching the attention not only of Premiership Clubs, but England Manager Gareth Southgate!

“I want to spend my career at Leeds and see the club doing well in the Premier League,"

“I’m just enjoying every minute right now.”

"We’ve massively improved in this campaign, we’re a lot more experienced,"

“We went through a bad patch at the wrong time last season and then lost in the play-offs. It was tough but it has helped us.”

Phillips admitted that he is reaping the rewards of playing in his now familiar anchor role, but was initially disappointed that his gaffers plans to play him there.

"I was surprised at first. The season before he arrived, I’d scored seven goals, so I was a bit confused and disappointed when he spoke to me,"

"I could hardly say no, though, could I? Especially given his track record of improving players.

“He saw something in me and offered to teach me how to play a different role.

“I’ve adapted well, although he’s never completely satisfied! He’s always saying I can improve.

“That can be frustrating when you think you’ve played well but those are the standards he sets.

“We’re probably the fittest team in the league — that’s important to him. He’s on our case all the time, checking weight and conditioning and demanding we always give absolutely everything in training.

“Honestly, if someone from outside came in and saw what he had us doing for pre-season, they’d think he was crazy. But we’re in a strong position because of it.

“Leeds brought him in to coach the club but he has had a big effect on the whole city. He wants to do Leeds proud.”

please log in to view this image

Gunners shot stopper continuous to be on ER radar

Leeds are believed to be lining up a bid for Gunners shot stopper Emiliano Martinez.

This is not the first time the 27yo Argentine has been linked to a move to West Yorkshire. Word has it, Leeds were knocked back in 2018, and again in the January transfer window in favour of Reading.

Martinez signed with the North London club back in 2012, and has been out on loan ever since. In fact, in eight years the 6ft, 5in colossus has only enjoyed a handful of games for his parent club.

With Casilla's future up in the air following his racism trial, French U20 International Illan Meslier has kept a clean sheet between the sticks, but with a 5m price tag, could the Whites be looking for a cheaper alternative?

Perhaps Messrs Bielsa and Orta believe that, at 20yo Melier would be too young and inexperienced for the top flight?

Are Casilla's days numbered at ER?

Is 5mfor Meslier a big gamble for Leeds?

Ayala wants Leeds switch

Boro defender Daniel Ayala is keen to join Leeds in the Summer when his contract runs out.

The 29yo has made it clear of his desire to leave the Riverside and will become a free agent once the 2019/20 season comes to an end.

With Ben White returning to Brighton, could the 6ft 3in former Liverpool and Savilla centre back be a ready replacement?

There is believed to be a host of clubs interested in the Spaniards services, but a move to Elland Road would be favourable as Ayala is keen to work with Bielsa!

Premier league's TV Mega event good news for Leeds

The Premier League a developing plans for clubs to fulfil the remaining 92 Premier league fixtures.

The plan would be to have isolated “World Cup-style” camps situated in the midlands and London, and televise the matches across June and July. Al matches would be behind closed doors.

As a complete lockdown is looking increasingly more likely, the TV Mega event has drawn increased support from the government as they believe it may help lower the tension.

Surely if this goes ahead, it will be fantastic news for Leeds. If the Premier League have fulfilled their fixtures, three clubs have to be relegated. If clubs are relegated, then surely clubs have to be promoted!!!

2. 1964white

1964white Well-Known Member

If Kalvin remains at Leeds for the next ten years I'll die a happy man :-D

Eireleeds1, Farsleyexile and davy like this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Phillips want's to stay at Leeds, players are saying they want to join us and plans are underway to conclude the season... What Virus

Farsleyexile, davy and southernwhite like this.
  4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Great that there is a plan forming for finishing the football. At the moment however, until virus figures show an improvement, any such plans are pure fantasy, nothing else. Italian boss for example today said it was looking increasingly likely their season will eventually be scrapped whereas UEFA have said they're willing to compromise next seasons football to finish the current one maybe in August. Hope that's what eventually happens but you've only to check back on the coronavirus thread here to see how far the thing and some peoples views have changed over a month. I see our good friend Jack Grealish has got himself in a whole heap of bother over the weekend allegedly partying at a certain Ross McCormacks flat (remember him) and allegedly crashing his Landrover into a couple of Mercs. Good to see he's keeping busy and setting a good example for the dimwits

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

What about

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I honestly believe that the government will lift the lock down for under 70s and non vulnerable before the end of April and they'll take the approach that we are prepared to cope with it now as all these preperations fall into place

7. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Iam still in lockdown at cell block o in Bardsey
    truly believe the season will be played out behind closed doorsMcC ormack can;t get a job possible because he wants too much and is trouble

ristac, Irishshako and ellandback like this.
  8. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Which would be preferable ?

Season ends now and we are promoted but then 5 get relegated from PL next season....or

Season is completed behind closed doors but no pro rata refunds for season ticket holders as they are told they can watch on LUTV for free.

My preference would be for the season to finish any way possible as it's the right thing to do from a sporting perspective. If I"m not able to attend the last 5 home games then so be it but the games must be played in my opinion.

9. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Must confess to being a single-minded mercenary on this subject. If Leeds get promoted, I'll be a happy man. Nothing else matters to me. I don't care about any of the other considerations. I'm unapologetic about this, so sorry if I appear heartless. I am.

10. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I'm with WJ (but not in that way)!!!!

ristac, Whitejock and Jammy 07 like this.

11. Jammy 07

Wise choice elland...the WJ thing I mean :emoticon-0135-makeu

Eireleeds1, ellandback and Whitejock like this.
  12. Jammy 07

The thing is WJ...if and it's still a big IF but if we do get to the PL we absolutely have to stay there.

We're just not one of those clubs that can yo-yo between the top 2 divisions like some seem able to. If we still have Bielsa then it's entirely possible for us to establish ourselves, without and given our lack of financial clout it's likely we would struggle.

Like everyone else I've had enough of the EFL and the championship...it's a great division but we've been in it now for way too long. If I have to face another season then of course I will and obviously the season tickets have been renewed but please please please... somebody, somehow, anyhow get us out of here.

ristac, Whitejock and southernwhite like this.
  13. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

I would rather delay next season and finish this one when things get back to normal meaning the fans are there and yes, I'd be gutted if I couldn't be there to see us promoted. Playing behind closed doors would be even more financial ruin for clubs who are banking on the extra money it brings in. Who knows what effect this closure will have on teams but I'm hoping our fitness levels will get us over the line.

ristac likes this.
  14. Eireleeds1

Hopefully our lads are in a different training regime to Jack Grealish

15. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

I'm positive they will be as they will do as Bielsa bids them

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  16. Jammy 07

How would you feel Heidi if we were say languishing in 13th position with nothing to play for ?

The longer this goes on the numbers who feel that it might be better to draw a line under this season and start afresh will grow. Let's be honest the number of clubs who acheive success each season is relatively small as is the number who suffer a demotion. It's that large group of clubs in the middle with not much insentive to finish the season other than gate receipts/TV money who might start to get the upper hand in negotiations. The ones near the bottom will of course fall into line once someone else sets the agenda.

That's why resuming the season behind closed doors may turn out to be the only way to ensure we complete the season. Or to put it this way, I don't trust the other clubs in the championship or the whole of the EFL not to try and stitch us up.

17. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

The prospect of losing tv and sponsorship money, with a remote possibility of needing to prorate season ticket money, should be sufficient incentive for ALL clubs to finish the season!

18. Eireleeds1

Grealishs antics are no longer alleged. The gobshite admitted it and said he’s desperately embarrassed so that makes it alright

Whitejock likes this.
  19. Jammy 07

You would certainly think so Jonny,

Worrying then that so many within the game, players, managers and administrators keep implying otherwise.

20. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

And yet they probably expect to be paid in full! :steam: