1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 27th January 2019)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 27, 2020.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It;s Monday 27th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road.

Poveda pens a four and a half year deal

Ian Poveda has penned a deal with the Whites keeping him at Elland Road until the Summer of 2024.

The 19yo fell out with Senior Management at the Etihad over the Christmas period over his first team status. Since then, a host of Serie A clubs (and Celtic) have been after his signature, but eventually the England U20 Winger / attacking midfielder chose West Yorkshire as his destination.

Poveda's style of play is similar to Saiz, and just like the former Real Madrid player, is not blessed with height. In fact Poveda is only 5ft 5in; the same height as Billy Bremner.

Poveda told LUTV: "I know Leeds won the league the year before it turned into the Premier League and I believe they should be back there.

"I'm very excited to work under [Marcelo] Bielsa, I know he improves players and that's what I'm looking to do under his guidance."

Although Leeds only had to part with 1m to secure the deal, which surely must be one of the deals of the season; there is a 30% sell on clause.

please log in to view this image

No Pep talk from Guardiola

Pep Guardiola had no influence on the England U20 winger joining the Whites. There is no secret that the former Barcelona and Spanish legend has high admirations for Bielsa but assured the press (following their 4-0 drubbing of Fulham yesterday) that he hadn't spoken to Poveda since the bust up.

“I don’t know. I didn’t speak with Ian, but anyway, either way it’s a really good decision for him.”

He’s young, he has to play. He was not able and Leeds United is an incredible challenge.

“To be training with one of the best, maybe the best, managers in the world in terms of how he helps the players to be better players.

“He has an incredible power to develop. For the way Leeds play suits perfect for his qualities.”

Bielsa's influence to lead to Augustin's signature

French U21 International Jean-Kevin Augustin should undergo a medical at Thorp Arch later today, as the 22yo will sign on loan with the Whites until the end of the season. There is a compulsory clause that Leeds must buy him in the Summer for a set fee believed to be in the region of 15m

The former Paris Saint-Germain hitman signed for Bundesliga pace setters Leipzig for £11 in 2017, where he netted twelve times in his first season. He was sent out on season long loan to Monaco at the beginning of the season, but opportunities have been limited for the young French man.

Last Summer both Everton and Southampton were interested in the then £35million valued striker, but Augustin has agreed to make the move to West Yorkshire following a personal phone call from Bielsa himself.

Augustin has represented France in every age group from U16 -U21 netting 24 times in total.

French Giants Monaco tweeted last night that they had agreed to cut Augustin's loan agreement, and wished Leeds Utd good luck.

2. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Good morning. Who knows enough about the two new players to say if they are seen as potential starters? Not in the game against the southern mill rats as I assume that’s too soon but..... soon?

3. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

A very good morning to you all
    Wow after all our complaining “myself included” looks as though we have on paper signed two cracking players who can be played in the first team almost straight away, I am at the moment tucking into humble pie , as revelling in the coup that Orta,Radz and more importantly a splash of the Bielsa influence seemed to have pulled off.
    I am personally now more than happy with this January window, how these two settle in & what impact they give remains to be seen, but I am feeling a very positive vibe.
    So my summary, after all our moaning this month, is that management do seem to know after all, what they are doing.:emoticon-0142-happy

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. As usual Ive nothing to add about the new lads. Nobody Knew who they were a week ago except Bielsa and he's the one that counts. I was one that though Eddie would be a great hit and that went well so Im saying nothing till we see them in regular first team action. There really has been some awful drivel written over the weekend by some "fans" ranging from we've signed Messi to they're a pair of donkeys basically. Unbelievable crap. Our old team needs to put recent results behind them for tomorrow nights clash. Think we might sneak a one nil win with a lucky refereeing decision for a change

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  5. 1964white

1964white Well-Known Member

Marcelo acting as a father-figure just as the great Don did in the Revie-era.

"Come & become one of my disciples, you're career will flourish at Leeds"

6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Deal needs to be signed, sealed and delivered before midday, the day before the game

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Deal needs to be signed, sealed and delivered before midday, the day before the game

2020VisionofLeeds likes this.
  8. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Probably in reference to the fact Poveda's nickname at Man City was mini Messi. Don't think anyone's suggesting he's as good as Messi.

Irishshako likes this.
  9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all....

I read we got Poveda for free with a fee of possibly £1m depending on appearances and promotion and the 30% sell on.

As long as Augustin signs it will be a good transfer window. We could have blew a promise of £20m on Gray or Adams and £5m loan fee and they might have flopped. If Poveda fails he has cost us nothing apart from his wages and Augustin has the important option to buy being branded around.

Worth pointing out we haven’t lost any top players this window either apart from returning loans.

I’m excited by the signings, yes they’re unknown quality but what chance did we have of finding someone proven to hit the ground running when lower placed PL teams want £20m for a player who hasn’t scored in 18 games and another wants the same for one who has never been prolific and can’t get in the starting 11?

Fingers crossed they get up to speed swiftly, Bielsa spoke to both persuading them Leeds was the team to join, he has made us an attractive proposition again..

I also think we’ll have to be patient, I’d be amazed if they even made the bench within the next 2 games, it’s not Bielsas way, you only have to look at the returning injured players Pablo included to see Bielsa insists on an U23 game before making the Leeds bench

10. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Don’t get two excited everyone about new signings the proof of the pudding etc
    Remember we have been here before

11. FORZA LEEDS

I read somewhere that Augustin is a 6 month loan with a £15m compulsory purchase clause attached.

ristac likes this.

12. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

I read that as well so that’s 30 mil we are committed to if we don’t get promoted then we will be in the sh*t

ristac likes this.
  13. FORZA LEEDS

Well if we don't get promoted Phillips will probably want out anyway so his fee would go some way towards that 30 million.

Gessa likes this.
  14. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

Morning all.
    And............ Relax. It seems, again, that things were happening that the Internet rumour mongers didn't guess and we could have got a couple of bargains through the door.
    My question to those in the know is, how sure are we about the purchase terms being bandied about?
    Has the club actually confirmed that Costa WILL cost us £15m no matter what and where has the similar information about Augustin come from?
    I'm asking because I don't see Radz taking that kind of risk.
    On Augustin, I agree, wait until its confirmed. Wasn't Andre Gray supposed to be getting a medical a couple of weeks ago?

2 pennth likes this.
  15. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I'm one of the few that would have been happy with no signings at all. Still think we have an excellent squad, but have been very unlucky with injuries again this season. Happily, most of the long-term injured are slowly becoming available. Hopefully the new lads will add to the squad, but there's a very good chance that we'll be well into February before any of them start a game. Hopefully we'll start hammering teams, so they can be broken in slowly as subs. It's a big hope, I guess. :D

16. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

Can you imagine having the option to throw on Augustin and Poveda late in a game? Wow! Just what we needed.
    Poveda should be up to speed coming from Pep.

FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.
  17. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and co from a sunny Bardsey
    Lets hope wesign ST .Augustin before lunch lets face it we signed Roberts and Forshaw with full medicals only to find we had bought 2 crocks
    I have watched videos supplied by Lee and can confirm the boy is strong fast has great skills but is totally one footed RIGHT and has yet has not headed a ball e so needs some work on his left foot and his heading I hope they don,t get Bamford to coach him on heading!
    We are also interested in a tall colossos from France as a spare CB Harold Moukouda I heartedly go with this we need hieght in the back four and by all accounts he is a very calm influence
    I was pleased to see and old favourite of mine who I picked out when he played at Hibs he since was sold to Forest for a £1m but it didn't work out and he was loaned out to Posh but again he didn't click and then he was at Shrews on the bench well is time came and he produced the goods lets hope he gets his act together now

LeeUtd, ristac and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  18. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

But that's football. All signings are a hit or miss. Nobody has any idea how they'll pan out. Could be two flops or worth 40m each in a couple of years. One thing is for sure though, had we brought in nobody in January, our promotion chances would have been hanging by a thread

19. ellandback

Forum Moderator

But only if we go up.

20. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

6 month loan when the season ends in less than 4. Seen us coming!

blonogasoven and NostradEmus like this.
  21. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Need him for the play offs