1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st September)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 21, 2020.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Monday 21st September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Seven goal thriller at Elland Road

For the second week running Leeds were subjected to a seven goal thriller, albeit this time, Bielsa's babes came out victorious.

The home side settled down quickly and were ahead on 5 minutes. Aylings deflected corner found Helder Costa, deep beyond the far post. He took a touch, then smashed the ball into the back of the next via the upright giving Areola no chance.

Another moment of madness from Koch helped the Cottagers draw level ten minutes from half time. The German International bought down Joe Bryan on the far side of the penalty box. Not only was the tackle clumsy, but the left back posed no threat on the Leeds goal. Mitrovic made no mistake from twelve yards.

In the closing minutes of the first half, Bryan gave Bamford a shove in the back as the Leeds forward tried to get on the end of a cross. The man in Black, Anthon Taylor had no hesitation but to point to the spot. Polish International Klich sent Areola the wrong way to put the Whites deservedly in front at half time.

Five minutes after the interval, Bamford extended Leeds lead. Klich carved the Fulham defense open with a stunning through ball, and Bamford was there to double his tally for the season.

Bamford went from scorer to provider for Leeds fourth just before the hour mark. His delightful cross found Costa in acres of space, and the 26yo doubled his tally for the afternoon. That's three in opening two games of the season.

Decordova-Reid and Mitrovic set up a tense finish, but it was three well earned points for the Whites.

During Leeds opening two games, we have seen 14 goals, the most in a top-flight side's opening two matches since Wolves in 1962-63.

Where are Leeds the weakest?

Should Meslier have saved any of the goals?

How long will Leeds purple patch in front of goal continue?

please log in to view this image

Bielsa's press conference

Marcelo Bielsa speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "This won't be a constant all year. It is very difficult to maintain the efficiency [in front of goal] we have had in these first two games.

"The characteristics of our game is to create goal scoring opportunities. In these two games we have created very little but we have scored all our chances.

"We have had two very different games. Against Liverpool we tried to get close to a very big rival and today we tried to not be caught by Fulham. Both were very difficult games."

Fulham boss Scott Parker: "There were a lot of encouraging things. You go 4-1 down away from home and they could really drop their heads. I didn't see that in my team. I saw a real character and determination.

"The biggest thought in my head is that you cannot give up goals that we have given up today. You can't expect to score four or five goals to win football matches in this league.

"If you give up goals too easy you aren't going to win many. I just worry that a red bolt doesn't go off for us. We need to smell it [danger] and sense it in those moments that are crucial in games. Sometimes we are a bit too nice.

"I see an innocence about them not being streetwise. Overall there are a lot of positives but there was one negative which I realise is going to be the difference between us getting results or not."

Latest transfer news

With the transfer market slamming shut two weeks tomorrow, Leeds need to put their foot on the accelerator if they are to add to their Senior squad.

Chairman Andrea Radrizzani made it clear to the Financial Times last week that a further 50m is available if Bielsa wants to spend it. Unfortunately for Leeds fans, the Argentine seems reluctant to give the green light. According to Phil Hay, Bielsa has surprised Orta by ruling out credible targets on the basis of perceived weaknesses in their ability, the size of his squad or the belief he has sufficient resources already.

The proposed purchase of Udinese midfielder Rodrigo de Paul seems to be dead in the water. The proposed deal has been in the making for weeks and according to Hay, 'still some way from crossing the line, if indeed it ever does'.

Dinamo Zagreb defender Josko Gvardiol is still an achievable target, according to the former Chief football writer of the YEP; even though recent reports have indicated that the young Croatian International does not see his future in West Yorkshire.

The 18yo would cost the Whites 20m, plus a 20% sell on fee. Its a lot of money for someone who would not be first-choice under Bielsa and could find himself behind Pascal Struijk in the pecking order. It will be interesting to see what happens here, as the Mail are suggested that Leipzig have secured his services with a 20m bid that would come into place in January.

There may be a real chace that Leeds may land Dan James from Manchester Utd. The Welsh International was snapped up in front of Leeds nose last Summer, six months after the 22yo arrived at Elland Road for a medical, only for the Swansea Chairman to block the deal at the final hurdle, leaving player and club (Leeds) devastated.

It seems James may be surplus to requirements at Old Trafford, and an offer in the region of 15m, may bring the Hull born winger over the Pennines.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning,

Another decent performance from Leeds. Hard to judge what it means for Premier league form against one of the newly promoted teams.

Koch and Cooper still learning to play together so I will pardon the defence at the moment. Despite a couple of mistakes I think we are seeing the beginning of a decent partnership.

Koch was unfortunate in a way for the penalty against. He was clearly pulling out of the tackle and the player was already on his way down before any, even minimal, contact was made.
    Was no need to throw himself into that tackle tbh though.

ristac, wakeybreakyheart and Doc like this.
  3. lufctommo

lufctommo Well-Known Member

Good morning.

We made Areola look a bit of a tit :emoticon-0136-giggl

From what I've read this morning it's the Gvardiol deal that's dead in the water as he's chosen RB Leipzig over Leeds and the De Paul deal is still possible albeit not progressing very fast.

There have been so many goals in the Prem already which is to be expected with the limited time and friendlies the teams have had. I think our defence will look better when they've had a bit more time. The Jury is still out on Meslier for me, clearly a talent but is he ready for the Premier League yet?

ristac likes this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all and a new week of bragging :emoticon-0148-yes:

Contrary to what Elland wrote above it seems the Big Craot kid deal is dead in the water. His club accepted our offer but the kid will be signing for Leipzig for less than we offered.

Either the De Paul thing happens in the next day or two or its dead and not happening. Again there are 2 conflicting views, the latest one is that a deal is being done but that could already have been smashed?

Whatever happens I expect a new creative midfielder in the club within 7 days along with a defender and Callum Chambers name is not going away

leeds60 likes this.
  5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

15 million for James? **** that. Offer 7 and walk away.

Expected goals for this seasons games are...

Liverpool 3.12 - 0.33 Leeds

Leeds 1.41 - 1.66 Fulham

6. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd want James tbh, not exactly looked much in the prem.

Whitejock and Irishshako like this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Not sure of the validity but this is day 3 of this kid being mentioned as an alternate to De Paul if the deal falls through. He is an expensive teenager and would be the biggest transfer fee for a French Ligue 2 player

8. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Think he's worth a punt as he's not exactly been getting the best coaching has he ?

Give Bielsa a year and he should improve, we've already seen this with Costa & Harrison who were both pretty average when they first came.

Same goes really for all the young players, who in my opinion will benefit more from playing for the U23's and training with Bielsa than going out on loan. They might not train with him every day but he often uses them with/against the 1st team squad and we know he keeps a close eye on everyones progress and development.

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This kid from Chile is ripping it up in Seria A and someone Bielsa knows a lot about?

10. Jammy 07

Only watched half if it Doc as had seen enough by then...

That boy can play and looks exactly the kind of central midfieder we need <ok>

11. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Great that our conversion rate has gone up in the first two games as we didn't have much luck with that last season hitting the post and missing easy chances. Hopefully it continues. Meslier was unlucky not to save the penalty and thought he hesitated slightly for the cross on the Mitrovic goal, whether he stayed put he'd have saved it I'm not sure but he'd definitely of had more of a chance. Didn't think he did anything wrong bar that and commands the area well, not as concerned from corners that's for sure. I thought Ayling looked okay, didn't do anything outstanding but also not a lot of Fulham's attacking threat came from his said. Cooper and Koch both played relatively well, made some good tackles and interceptions. I thought Koch shouldn't have been sliding in for the pen but Bryan did travel towards his legs to get the pen. Think he's been unlucky to concede both pens but the defensive partnership will come, just needs a bit more time. A lot came down Dallas side and shouldn't have let the cross in for the 3rd so not a great performance from him but he'll play better and is always trying to link up with the midfield and Harrison down the wing. Phillips got turned too many times for me and was partly at fault for the 2nd. Costa was excellent and took both goals really well, keep it up Helder! Rodrigo did well, he's been brought in to give Bamford competition so to be drafted in last minute in the Hernandez role was always going to be difficult. I think he looks like he's got some class about him and some clever play but he's still learning the system. You could see sometimes he wasn't sure whether to press the defenders or stay on his man. He'll come good but we can't expect players to come in and be able to play this system straight away, every player is integral to how Bielsa sets up so if we have one player that is unsure or not doing their bit the whole thing falls apart. Klich was my MOTM, he's got an amazing vision and energy/engine on him. Absolutely love the guy. Great pen, great assist and just a very intelligent footballer. Harrison wasn't as good as last weekend but he did okay and his cross set up Bamford to be awarded the pen. Bamford was class. Won the pen, took his goal very well on his weaker foot and got a good assist.

On the transfer front I'm hoping we can get De Paul over the line as he'll be an excellent addition and slot in to the Hernandez spot when he can't play. It'd be nice at Pablo's age to have him on the bench to bring on for the last 30 minutes every week to dictate play. 30m for De Paul, 8m for Adarabioyo or another as a 3rd/4th choice CB, Romero for 6m on a 2 year contract so Meslier can learn more before taking over no.1 and Dan James on a loan to buy with a loan value of 5 million this year and paying the remaining transfer fee next season please. I've heard if De Paul falls through we're looking at Malinovskyi at Atlantic, any truth to this? Seems like more of a striker than De Paul.

12. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Phil Hay still making things up as he goes along.

No wonder there are conflicting transfer rumours - it's him starting them.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This story coming out of London media as West Ham have had this kid on their radar and just been reading West Ham fans trust kicking off that Leeds Utd are about to hijack their blue ribbon target?

14. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Not at £15m though, 5 yes maybe but i think we have more pressing requirements.

Irishshako, Jammy 07 and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  15. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Agreed. We’re ok for wingers. Money best spent elsewhere.

16. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

While I like what you had to say I don't suppose you could put a few spaces bergen paragraphs. For those of us reading through phone or tablet that was quite a difficult read.

OLOF, NostradEmus and foolee like this.
  17. Jammy 07

Can't disagree with those opinions but it's more a case of if Bielsa still wants him.

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

It looked like Koch tried to withdraw at the last minute

19. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Bielsa (at the time) wanted James at any cost....

Remember, unless Bielsa wants him, whoever he is........

20. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

<laugh> wa hey<party>