1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 19th July)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jul 19, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Monday 19th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Bielsa selection dilemma at centre back

Pre season is well underway, and as usual, players are jockeying for position, eager to be involved in the opening game of the season at Old Trafford.

The most hotly debated positions have to be at centre back where Marcelo Bielsa has the luxury of choosing two from Llorente, Cooper, Koch and Struijk; a rarity he was rarely afforded last term.

New club ambassador Noel When believes 'It’s going to be a really difficult decision to make' :-

“We are blessed with four quality centre-halves. I cannot remember a time where we have had this much competition in that position. “It’s going to be a really difficult decision to make. Every single one has got a case to play.

“You have internationals in Cooper, Llorente and Koch and a great young player in Struijk who I thought was excellent last season. He really stepped up to the plate and showed what a fantastic centre-half he is. He just got better and better.

“It is going to be a hell of a jostle in pre-season for those two spots. I am excited by it. “Llorente really showed what a top player he is when he came in. He got a good relationship going with Struijk. He also had a good one with Cooper as well.

“It is going to be a real tussle between the four of them. You just hope that none of them get any kind of injury that halts their pre-season. Competition is so important to get the best out of players.”

please log in to view this image

Whites pursue Algerian international

Several sports media outlets are reporting that Leeds are talks with Ligue 1 outfit Metz over their versatile midfielder Farid Boulaya. The 28-year-old can play in attacking midfield or on either flank.

Last season, the Algerian International netted six times and was credited with eight assists, helping his side secure a 10th-placed finish in the French top flight. He only has twelve months left on his contract, hence interest from West Yorkshire that they may be able to secure a deal for just 4.5 million euros

Leeds chasing Yangel Herrera

According to the Sun, both Leeds and West Ham have been linked to Manchester City's midfielder Yangel Herrera. The 21-capped Venezuela international has enjoyed a two year loan deal at La Liga outfit Granada, helping them to a top half finish last season. He played 62 times, netting five times.

Herrera 23, signed for the blue side of Manchester back in 2017 from Atlético Venezuela. Unfortunately, four years on, Herrara is yet to make his debut! Citeh value their gritty and tenacious midfielder at 20m, which is more than Leeds would want to pay out on a defensive midfielder who will not be guaranteed a starting position!

Perhaps Pep Guardiola will let Leeds have his services on a season long loan move subject to a fixed fee?

2. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I need someone to do the Breakfast debate tomorrow as I have hospital test at 7.30 am.

Irishshako likes this.
  3. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

Good luck with your test tomorrow mate.
    As on the CB's Honestly as long as they all stay fit I will be happy. I'm sure all four will be used throughout the season at different stages
    It's not a case of picking him over him for me. it's a squad game and all are important as each other.
    I do think Struijk is the future though and eventually will make the Left side of the CB pairing his own.
    He could well start the season but I have faith in all Four.
    Bielsa has the call and in Bielsa we trust.

OLOF, foolee, ristac and 2 others like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Got it covered mate but not able to do Wednesday as Im at the hospital myself :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

Not long ago we were all moaning that we didn't have enough CBs, bow we got 4 quality ones with Cresswell in the background making 5. We have 2 left side CBs which means we have 2 more than most clubs as the norm is 2 right footers playing with one doing the left. Left sided CBs are rare, but one other thing we can do is play 3 T the back and with Junior we can now have 2 full backs flying. We will need to go 3 at the back a couple of times this season.

Lots and lots of stories about new players but the Metz player is genuine as his agent has confirmed contact. No idea who will be coming in but it seems we have options for wingers and midfield covered and the countries involved are Russia, Turkey, Algeria, Argentina, Paraguay, France, Italy, Spain, Norway, Portugal, Germany and USA. No idea what will happen

ristac and Gessa like this.
  6. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Koch was as good as Phillips in a game towards the end of last season in the holding role. He was exceptional.

Let's face it, it's going to be Llorente and another. I'd like to see him paired with Struijk as they seem to work well as a pair.

Then I'd like to see Koch at the holding role with Phillips at 8 and Rodrigo at 10. Dallas would be pushing the midfielders and the full backs all the way for a starting spot with Cooper pushing Struijk and Llorente at centre back.

The only position we don't have real competition in at the moment is at striker. Hopefully Gelhardt pushes Bamford this year as he seems undroppable currently.

We have options guys. It's a strong squad. It's great to see.

OLOF, ristac and Doc like this.
  7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

I just have to got for a covid test before they fit a cpap machine for me on Friday....

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I went for my covid test on Saturday and it took less than 5 mins. Straight in, swab up nose, in throat then gob in a cup, bye bye. Fastest hospital visit ever

9. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Personally I would have preferred swab in the throat first then up the nose <doh>

hemase and Whitejock like this.
  10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Afternoon all good luck guys with your hospital visits <ok>

NostradEmus likes this.

11. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I will echo that and wish anyone of you elderly ball and chains on the NHS Well in your hospital shenanigans.

@ellandback and @Doc need to get a grip. When you two cry off then you put too much pressure on the rest of us to put stuff together. Have you seen the ****e the rest of us spout?

blonogasoven, Whitejock and ristac like this.
  12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Its all covered mate I will do tomoz, Elland back for Wed and Thursday and if Elland not around on Friday I will do Friday. Sorted :emoticon-0148-yes:

hemase and NostradEmus like this.
  13. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Been on one for years mate. Need any advice shout. You soon get used to them and they really are a game changer <ok>

Whitejock likes this.
  14. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Afternoon all,

I think the starting cb pairing for the scum game will be Cooper & Llorente. The pressure will be on these two to perform each game as any drop in form will see them replaced.

I would like to see us have a good tilt at the league Cup this season. This will be the best way to give the likes of Koch & Struijk chances to play as well as other peripheral players.

SIDDAS likes this.
  15. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Cooper a first choice? Just can't see it myself.

16. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

In this situation I think you have you need to take away personal choice and think what will Bielsa do.
    Unless Cooper has a bad pre season or one of the others has an excellent one and completely outshines the others I think Bielsa likes Cooper too much

ristac likes this.
  17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cooper is club captain and part of the Championship spine of the club.

However Bielsa is a pragmatist, a professional as well as a football romantic, and I think he will be looking at his charges and weighing up the differences between a Scottish International and a German International. For me Llorente and Koch are the best CBs, but if Bielsa prefers a left sided player it could be Cooper squeaking in

18. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

I can't remember but have Llorente and Koch played a full 90 together at a pairing.

For me it has to be Llorente and Struijk, one left footer, one right. Or

.......................Meslier
    ........Llorente...Koch...Struijk
    Ayling......................................Firpo
    ........................Phillips...........
    Raph..............Rodrigo/Dallas............Harrison
    ..........................Bamford

Marcos Barber, FORZA LEEDS and Doc like this.
  19. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Actually, I think this maybe Bielsa’s first real test in terms of man management. This is a situation he doesn’t really like, which is why he prefers a small squad with players that can interchange positions. He doesn’t like having disgruntled players pissed off because they’re not playing. He doesn’t rotate much, so we could end up with one or even two centre backs frustrated at not starting.

Marcos Barber likes this.
  20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Good line up, even before we bring in a new upgrade/comp for Harrison and Klich/Dallas. Even before that happens you have a decent bench of Klich, Cooper, Poveda, Costa, Gelhardt, Roberts, Greenwood

Marcos Barber and Gessa like this.