1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 16, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Monday 16th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

It's going down to the wire

Leeds were given an eleventh hour reprieve from life in the Championship after Pascal Struijk's injury time equaliser saw them claw their way out of the bottom three. Unfortunately, clemency is in short supply when you're Leeds Utd, and a new date with destiny has been pencilled in for 16;00 hrs, this Sunday in South West London.

Leeds started brightly, and were unfortunate not to take an early lead. Brighton keeper Robert Sanchez failed to keep hold of Kalvin Phillips inswinging corner. Gelhardt reacted quickest. He turned, pivoted, and was about to smash the ball into the roof of the net, only for Liam Cooper to get in the way.

As the first half progressed, Brighton took a stranglehold of the game, and were soon ahead. Danny Welbeck was too strong for Llorente as the former Manchester Utd striker latched on to Bissouma's through ball. He bared down on the Leeds Utd goalmouth, before delicately chipping the ball into the back of the net.

Klich could have equalised just before half-time after a well executed set piece. Raphinha rolled the ball to the edge of the area (from a corner). The Polish International's strike looked destined for the back of the net, only for Sanchez to make a stunning fingertip save.

The Spanish shot stopper was called upon again with twenty-five minutes remaining. Raphinha's 30 yard free kick was heading for the top upright until Sanchez managed to claw the ball away from danger. The hosts went even closer on 73 minutes. Rodrigo curled a great cross into the Brighton penalty area, slicing the Brighton defence apart. Unfortunately, Cucurella's timely intervention was enough for Raphinha to fluff his lines.

Seeing this effort go narrowly wide, was too much for many Leeds fans, who out of sheer desperation suddenly turned on Radrizzani, and the Leeds board. Up until this point, the Elland Road faithful had stayed loyal to the cause, but there's only so much even a Leeds fan can take before they snap. Despair and animosity turned to jubilation, deep into injury time when Pascal Struijk netted his first goal for the club.

Llorente's cross found Gelhardt in space, deep in the Seagulls penalty area. Marshalled by Dunk, Cucurella and Mac Allister, the Leeds youngster made his way to the Brighton by-line, beating his men, and delivering a perfect cross across the goalmouth to Struijk to keep Leeds alive going in to the last game of the season.

please log in to view this image

Why hasn't Gelhardt been used more

'If Messi would have done it, you’d be going mad.' Those were the words of Paul Merson following the wizardry shown by Joe Gelhardt in setting up the last gasp equalizer against Brighton on Sunday. The 20yo has endured a frustrating 21/22 season, not because of his ability, which has never been in question, but why he has been largely ignored up until a few weeks ago.

With the amount of injuries Leeds have had, it's been an absolute travesty how Gelhardt has been treated, especially under Bielsa's watch. To play Rodrigo, James and Roberts out of position week in, week out when we have a square peg for a square hole has left many bewildered. Being left on the bench to rot also had a detrimental effect on the U23's as he was omitted from playing for them in case he was needed for first team action.

As of a couple of weeks ago, Gelhardt had played fewer minutes than Bamford this season, prompting former Leeds keeper, now pundit Paul Robinson to recently suggest that Gelhardt should quit Elland Road this Summer.

“If we had this conversation before Sunday, I could have easily said he’ll go and leave to play every week because he’s good enough and he wants to,” “But he got a surprise start against Arsenal, which is what I’ve been calling for for a long time. “It was difficult for him because Luke Ayling got sent off and they had to play with 10 men but they haven’t got a recognised number nine without Patrick Bamford.

“Why they’ve tried to make do with Rodrigo, Dan James, et cetera and playing different formations when they can play the same formation but put Gelhardt there. “I don’t know why they haven’t done it. “He’s more than good enough to play in the Premier League and if he’s not going to get his opportunity at Leeds then he should maybe look at moving on.

“There’ll be no shortage of takers for him and he’s at an age now where he needs to play whether that’s in the Premier League or in the top-half of the Championship. “He could score 25 goals a season in the Championship for a top club.”

Leeds still favourites for the drop

Bookies still believe that Leeds will go down this season, even after their last gasp heroics yesterday. Leeds are 11/8 favourites to be playing Championship football next season, with Burnley 13/8 and Everton 7/1. Fortunately for the Whites, both Burnley and Everton lost at the weekend, but both have a game in hand. The Clarets face a visit to Villa park, whilst the Toffee's entertain Crystal Palace.

If Everton beat Palace, they are safe. If they draw, they would need just a point or a win at the Emirates, assuming Leeds beat Brentford. Burnley would only need a point against Newcastle on the final day if they beat Aston Villa on Thursday. If they lose both their games, then whatever happens, Leeds wouldstay up, even if they lost at Brentford.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  2. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt Doc WJ etc from a wet Bardsey how can it rain on my paradeyes its 79 years ago today that the dambusters raid occured and I was born..As for yhe game well at least we live to fight another day

3. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

When we actually reflect on things Brighton are a tough team to beat, they have recently scalped Arsenal, Spurs and Wolves away from home, and last week gave the Salford Yanks a good pasting, so a point was not at all bad.

4. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Good to hear from you 60... happy birthday, keep bouncing!

leeds60 likes this.
  5. milkyboy

Irrespective of 'it's football so anything can happen' Brentford, despite being in good form, are a decent side - nothing more - and in my opinion the worst of any of the opponents we've had since Watford.

We are absolutely capable of getting something there, and should take the second half performance yesterday as some confidence.

Only a fool would confidently predict the outcome of any of the remaining fixtures involving the relegation threatened sides. Burnley aren't playing badly and are capable of getting something at villa and at home to newcastle. Everton palace is a pick'em, you wouldn't fancy them at Arsenal but they've proved difficult to beat when parking the bus away recently.

As it stands today we could win at Brentford and go down... or lose at Brentford and stay up.

6. milkyboy

Interesting to see Paul Robinson's comments on Gelhardt. OK no it wasn't. It's never interesting to hear Paul Robinson's comments on anything.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  7. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Morning all bit groggy this morning but was a great day out. When i sober up later i might look in my wallet. Big thanks to everyone i met for banter and laughs. Olofs landlady got me a taxi from leeds to wakefield and at £19 was a bargain.
    Brighton are a big mobile and well drilled outfit. But they went down at every opportunity to waste time or stop us dead. We could easily have been two nil down very early in the game. Only some poor finishing saved us. Leeds had more than enough chances to take the lead. I was sat (laugh) bottom of west near north stand. The subs warming up most of the game were struijk. Greenwood and shakleton later joined by bate. So marsch had a set plan to use them in place. Greenwood can actually pick a pass unlike rodrigo who is dire.
    We had chances but blew it big time.

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

the most annoying thing for me was the early chance from joffy, who else would have that kind of luck to see his goal bound shot from a couple of yards hit his own capt in the mush, that would have seen us go onto the three points i am convinced...it's a leeds thing....now for the <monster> match on sunday, own goal from magic hat in the last minute <whistle>

9. milkyboy

coinciding with Chris Wood winner for newcastle at burnley.... it's the hope that...

leeds down south likes this.
  10. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

yep it's a leeds thing..........conspiracy theorists would have a field day ;)

11. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Interesting that we looked better when we played in what looked more like the 4141 formation Bielsa used to use

Jammy 07 and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  12. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Morning all
    As Milkyboy said win or lose at Brentford we could still go down or stay up, but a win is what we really need, my head is spinning and i feel ill with it all. :emoticon-0107-sweat for my own sanity i will just be glad when it's all over, one way or the other.

SIDDAS and Doc like this.
  13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

Biggest day of the week might prove to be Thursday and not Sunday.

It would be nice to go into the last day knowing it’s still in our own hands

14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I feel I need a season off, next season if we go down the pressure and expectation for an immediate return will be horrible.

If we stay up I’m sure we’ll all want to just stay clear of the relegation zone and hope that the rebuild at least lays down a foundation we thought we’d already got

OLOF, FORZA LEEDS and southernwhite like this.
  15. southernwhite

Absolutely right on both counts :emoticon-0148-yes:

ristac likes this.
  16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Happy birthday Mike and incidentally the cottage next door hS a blue plaque stating one of the Dambbuster pilots lived there

ristac, leeds60 and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  17. southernwhite

:emoticon-0166-cake: Happy birthday <cheers>

leeds60 likes this.
  18. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Happy 79th Mr60

leeds60 likes this.
  19. wakeybreakyheart

I think it's exciting something to play for.

Jammy 07 and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  20. wakeybreakyheart

I would like to add there was no hint of the crowd turning where i was.

ristac and FORZA LEEDS like this.