1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 12th July)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jul 12, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Monday 12th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds eye Danish ace

According to Tuttosport, Leeds could make a move for midfielder Mikkel Damsgaard after his performances for Denmark at the Euro's this Summer. Unfortunately his eye catching displays, including two goals has thrown the Samporia ace into every shop window, and effected his price tag.

The 21 yo has made 35 appearances for Sampdoria since his €6.7 million move from Nordsjælland last Summer. Damsgaard could cost as much as 34m, a long way off what Leeds would want to pay for him.

please log in to view this image

Were we like that at their age?

England football fans have never had the best of reputations over the years, probably for good reason. Fighting, anti social behaviour and damage to both private and public property were common place in years gone by, though to be fair much has been done to curb the hooligan aspect.

Bring the clock forward to 2021, we have a new breed of hooligan, generally associated with 16-30yo's? The new yob mentality includes pack mentality, drink or drug fueled aggressive behaviour and a totally fearless attitude.

Hundreds of England fans were filmed trying to force their way through security barriers at Wembley yesterday evening, with stewards and officials pictured giving chase. After the game, we saw scenes of fans smashing Italian vehicles, climbing and trampling on cars and even double decker buses, leaving a trail of destruction in their path?

Have the media over hyped this - were they isolated events? Did you go to the pub last night? Would you have felt safe if you had young children, and bought them with you?

How much better can Kalvin get

A year ago today, Leeds defeated Swansea 1-0 at the Liberty Stadium in the Championship. A year on, who would have thought that Phillips would be playing in the finals of the Euro's?

Last night will be a bitter pill for all the boys in White to take, especially having been in the lead for so long. It would be fair to say that Phillips has impressed both pundits and fans like in the last four weeks, but can he get even better?

Kalvin is just 25, and therefor has the time to improve further, but does Phillips have an extra gear? Does he have the attributes to become a World class player?

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all…

I don’t condone what those fans did who tried to get in but I did read one argument if you can call it that…

Many fans had final tickets, they were cancelled due to Covid. Then the tickets were resold when the capacity was increased but those tickets never went back to those who originally had one.

Throw in 18 months of lockdown and doom and gloom and pubs being closed, it was letting off steam, wrong - yes, understandable - slightly

Another point and gripe for me… The likes of Piers Morgan and Susanah Reid doing selfies in the crowd at the semi finals, those two moaning and crying about the lifting of restrictions too fast and the non wearing of face masks both being as two faced as you can get and bragging they were there.

Kalvin Philips - Has the Euros not made him a world class player already? Who has played at the Euros and consistently played that position better than him? If he isn’t already World Class how do you define it?

He is a defensive midfielder, England reached the final and conceded two goals in total for the entire final stage. Him and Rice were a world class pairing, our defence was solid, it was the front three who maybe should have done slightly better.

Glad he never took a penalty and missed though, have a rest, recharge and come back proud and focussed for the start of a new season.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Infidel, OLOF, esteponawhite and 6 others like this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Kalvin Phillips can get better and the stuff he does that nobody notices is huge on top of the stuff that people do see him doing. He has been immense and for some he was overshadowed last night by his partner Rice (who was brilliant) but Kalvin covered way more km than any other player on the pitch and snuffed out attacks before they happened. His interceptions tackles, distribution was rock solid. Italy won last night because they had 2 old defenders well versed in the dark arts and both could have been sent off, one scored the equaliser too. Kalvin could reach that standard if he learns the dark arts too

Sampdoria owner is already talking about wanting €45m for a player he bought for €6m

Brizzlewhite, SIDDAS and ristac like this.
  4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The ref was poor but the non English would say sour grapes. VAR saw the studs on Jacks knee, they saw the Italian get up and think “**** what have I done” and fall back down feigning his own injury, it was right in front of the ref.

Early in the first half the ref spoke to Philips, you could see him pointing to an area where he’d earlier fouled an opponent and see him hold two fingers saying twice, it was a warning one more you’re in the book yet the Italians had at least two players with half a dozen similar fouls each. I think it was their number 3 who committed three fouls in under 10 minutes and not a word.

Anyway, onwards we go and a new season is fast approaching

NostradEmus likes this.
  5. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Phillips is world class already and has shown that this last month.

As for the Danish lad unless he was already on the list of possibilities drawn up by Bielsa and Orta then I do not see us going in for him.
    I do not think the way we are run now would see us go in for a player based on a tournament performance.

As for the England fans. It feels like these days in the age group mentioned that it almost seems like a competiton to show who the biggest supporter is.
    I have seen the same with Leeds especially amongst the South stand morons as I can them.
    They have to be seen throwing themselves down stairs, smashing something, using flares, taking day old babies into the stands, shoving flares up their arses and everything else.

For the majority of us football is a shared experience. We cheer and applaud when singing good happens and jump up and hug the stranger next to us when we score.

6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

7. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

All that exactly mate. :emoticon-0148-yes:

hemase likes this.
  8. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

TBF Ristac I think you used your luck up after thr VAR decision on the sterling dive...:grin:

FORZA LEEDS and Whitejock like this.
  9. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

RIP Mick Bates.

These moments are coming too often now.

10. Irishshako

Oviously doesn't know the History....<ok>

Whitejock likes this.

11. Irishshako

An unsung hero in my eyes....RIP fella.<ok>

12. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Very sad, he was a loyal servant to Leeds and when called upon was a decent player unfortunately for him he was in the shadow of Bremner and Giles and was usually used as a stop gap or super sub, he might have been better to move for more game time but chose to stay and stay in the "family".....r.i.p.

13. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

RIP Mick Bates

FORZA LEEDS and Irishshako like this.
  14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

15. Easternwhite

Easternwhite Well-Known Member

Way to tar brush fella!

16. Easternwhite

Easternwhite Well-Known Member

17. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

I thought the ref had an ok game. He didn't get fooled by a lot of the dives. I think the studs on Grealish was one of those that could've gone either way but maybe only a yellow because the ball deflected the foot higher - or nobody wanted the responsibility for a sending-off.

Southgate lost it with his negative tactics.

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

19. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

The mention of Sampdoria got me thinking about Ronaldo Vieira.

Would he fit into our present team? I personally think he wouldn't & believe we did the right thing in getting rid. Pretty sure that the money aspect was over-egged. It was a factor, imo, but not as important as Bielsa's assessment of him. Being the type of manager that likes to defend his players & give them every encouragement, it comes as no surprise to me that they played hard on the 'need the money' reasoning presented to us.

Irishshako, leeds down south and Doc like this.
  20. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I thought the ref for the Denmark game and last night against Italy were a disgrace. The amount of petty little fouls that were given without a booking when England were countering was terrible reffing. The Danes should have had about 3 sent off and last night the Italians just dragged Sterling, Saka, Grealish, Mount and Kane down every time they got past them. It was shameless but that's what Italy are known for.

The big worry for me would be next season for Leeds as we tend to get alot of these fouls committed against us and I am a bit worried about us not getting them.

Overall the refs have been outstanding all tournament but the last two England games. They seemed a bit naive to the professional fouls.

Saying that...the Italians have been superb all tournament and deserve to win it. A hint to Southgate would be that they won it with attacking football but with worse players than England.

ristac likes this.