1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 24th January)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 24, 2020.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Friday 24th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road.

Poveda to sign today

Leeds have won the race to sign highly rated 20yo Ian Poveda from Manchester City. The best way to describe his play is it is similar to Sami Saiz.

The 20yo who has represented England in all age groups from U16's fell out with the hierarchy at the Etihad over being dropped from Citeh's first team squad. It was decided by all parties that the rift could not be repaired, and Poveda was given the green light to leave the club.

Since then the 5ft 5 star has been exploring his options with a host of clubs keen on his signature.

Yesterday is was revealed by Phil Hay that Poveda was undergoing a medical with Leeds.

Furthermore he was spotted and had his picture taken with fans outside Elland Road yesterday afternoon.

please log in to view this image

Hull may be forced to part with star asset

Hull City boss Grant McCann has admitted that Jarrod Bowen may have to be sold, if the player refuses to accept the lucrative new deal offered to him by the club, according to the Daily Mirror. The 23yo has been on fire this term netting 16 times in 28 appearances and six assists. His displays have also caught the attention of Newcastle and Leicester.

The latest forward apparently on Leeds radar is Nahki Wells. The 29yo Bermudian International first caught the attention of the Whites seven years ago when Wells was at local neighbours Bradford City. Unfortunately they were unable to find sufficient funds, and Wells ended up at Huddersfield Town for 1.6m. This term, he has been on loan to QPR (from Burnley) with a handy ratio (excuse the pun) of 1 one in every two appearances (13 in 26).

Leeds remain odds on favourites to capture Andre Gray, but only as a back up plan.

Half and Half scarves

What is your opinion of them?

Do you buy half and half scarves as momentums of the day

Have you ever bought one

Have you ever seen anyone hassled for having one?

2. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and co from a dull Bardsey
    Lets hope Proveda ia a good provider I think it could be really good business selling Clarke for £10m and getting this lad for less than £1m
    Nakki Wells I remember being told we could buy him for£1.3m only to be out bid by town! Wells could be the replacementfor Roofe
    Che Adams is not going to happen so Andre Gray could be the man lets get something done today
    He played at Tranmere and did nothing oh dear

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Whitejock and ristac like this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

I’ve a good feeling about Poveda, he often wears the number 7 and plays down the right but can switch, with Costa failing to impress down the right maybe it’s time to play him more central.

On paper Bowen would be a good signing but we need an out and out striker, I have serious doubts about both Adams and Gray, neither are in form, they have hardly kicked a ball and with already committing to Costa if we’re promoted we’d have a serious chunk of our budget blown if we managed promotion.

Saying all that, Adams or Gray, how many weeks would they need to get up to speed? We have witnessed the patience Bielsa has with Bamford, maybe Bowen at the same kind of money would have an immediate impact but... We can’t afford Bowen unless it’s loan to buy and Hull won’t entertain that.

I want us to get a striker but I’m fearful of what Gray or Adams would bring that Nketiah couldn’t. They’re not good in the air, they don’t have the pace of Nketiah and they’re going to cost 1.25m per month of playing, it’s a huge outlay unless they get straight into the team and knock the goals in.

If we’ve got £5m upfront and a further £15m option to buy if promoted, I can’t believe we can’t do better than a lower PL team player who can’t get into the team and one who has failed to score in 18 games. Natural goal scorers and poachers NEVER go 18 games without scoring

Hindsight is great but what a mistake not giving Roofe £20k a week and holding on to him, to think how little we got for him as well.

What is going on with our U23s we shipped out every bit of talent at the start of the season, we bring in Guille Amor and Rafa Mujica and now they’re both off this window along with Temenuzhkov who we gave a contract to in September, I think we’d have a problem putting out an U23 team without using so called first team players

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  4. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Morning all. No idea who we should bring in as for instance Poveda I first heard of yesterday so anything I say is hearsay anyway.

But hope we strengthen in several positions and they are players who can quickly bed in. Or we can wave goodbye to the auto spots.

5. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

And surely Orta & Radz know this as well (or you would hope so) <doh>
    Morning all

ristac and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Before blowing Povedas reputation sky high lets wait and see how he performs in first team in front of 35k critics. Every scrap of video I could find on him was reserve games in empty stadia. Great touches from what I saw and some great crosses. However any five minute video can be made look unreal. Hope fans cut him some slack as he’s already been overhyped by the usuals on twitter

Whitejock, Farsleyexile, OLOF and 4 others like this.
  7. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I can't believe there is nobody in the lower leagues that impresses. Surely that would be cheaper.

OLOF, lifecheshirewhite and ristac like this.
  8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I find it both strange and promising that his reason for leaving City was due to being dropped from the first team to the U23s. City tried to resolve the differences and failed and then felt it would be better for both parties if he moved on.

He wasn’t sure about us then Bielsa phoned him directly in an attempt to persuade him here. Surely this means Bielsa wants him for the first team? A bit of a concern that he obviously has attitude if he doesn’t get his own way but sadly most talented players come with that type of attitude.

9. DJMarl

DJMarl Well-Known Member

Morning All.

Poveda will be a potentially good addition, but still not a striker with a natural goal scoring ability. Bowen would be also an amazing signing, but does he fit this striker role as well? Hmm.. Not sure about Gray, or even Wells.. Is any of these player on form and scoring loads? Hmm again..

Anyway, a dull weekend ahead since we are not playing.. Lets hope some deals get through the door in this 'time off' window.

10. lifecheshirewhite

Half and half scarves, only ever met the millwall lads who all have them, but they do love Leeds ;)

Whitejock, Ringo Lion, ristac and 2 others like this.

11. ellandback

Forum Moderator

There are probably as lot of disillusioned U23's knowing that Bielsa has only used 14 players have have played five or more games, and them thinking I need to move to progress.

ristac and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  12. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Morning all.

Poveda looks promising, but how many times have we heard that ? Whatever striker we get won't replace Bamford, not immediately anyway, so anyone expecting a goal machine to arrive and get our season back on track against Millwall is wide of the mark. But, the fact is we need someone even if it's just as back up for Bamford.

Half and half scarves, can't stand them you'd never get me anywhere near them. Even worse are the half and half shirts although thankfully they are rarely seen. As momentoes of occasions I bought my son badges for his first ever Leeds game (away to Orient in div 3), first game at Elland Road and first England game. He collects Leeds badges anyway and these make a nice addition to his collection. He would never entertain the idea of half and half scarves either, thank God !

13. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Apparently Roofe is on fire at Anderlecht, they've improved since his move and scores fairly regularly.

14. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Like this ;

15. Normanbitmyleg70

Normanbitmyleg70 Well-Known Member

Yo yo, this hard-core ghetto gangster image takes a lot of practice
    I'm not black like Barry White no I am white like Frank Black is
    So if man is five and the devil is six than that must make me seven
    This honkey's gone to heaven
    But if I go to hell then I hope I burn well
    I'll spend my days with J.F.K., Marvin Gaye, Martha Raye and Lawrence Welk
    And Kurt Cobain, Kojak, Mark Twain and Jimi Hendrix's poltergeist
    And Webster yeah, Emmanuel Lewis 'cause he's the anti-Christ
    The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire
    We don't need no water let the motherfucker burn
    Burn motherfucker burn

OLOF likes this.
  16. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Rather Wells than Gray, match fit at least, apparently Gray looked very average against Tranmere last night.

Don't get half and halfs, especially the likes of Millwall. I can see why they'd want them, to show their grand kids about the time they played the mighty Leeds.

If Bielsa had to personally get involved in the signing on Poveda, that means 2 things to me, a) Bielsa rates him b) there must have been some sort of assurances of game time now, as that's why he's moving from Citeh, with other clubs interested, I'm sure he's chosen somewhere where he'll be playing.

Farsleyexile, FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.
  17. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

It appears we have another injury. Leif Davis has had a knee clear out and is out for a month. So let's not expect to see him till April but it's OK not a contact injury.

18. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Unlikely to derail our season <ok>

19. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Let's hope it's not a Forshaw month....

20. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Let's hope it's not a Forshaw month....