1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 23rd July)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jul 23, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Friday 23rd July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Deal close for Norweigan shot stopper

Leeds are in advanced talks to sign 20yo shot stopper Kristoffer Klaesson, and expect a deal to be concluded shortly. The Norwegian U21 has been on Leeds radar for a while, and with Casilla returning to Spain, its given Leeds the excuse they need to tout their man.

Several reports are indicating that Klaesson is just waiting for work permit to seal the deal!

please log in to view this image

Do Leeds needs another centre forward

Last season, only five teams in the top flight scored more goals than Leeds. An in form Bamford netted a magnificent 17 times, more than Calvert-Lewin and Vardy. To put the icing on the cake, Harrison, Dallas, Rodrigo and Raphinha contributed a further 29 goals between them.

Will they be able to replicate the same this forthcoming season, and what happens if Bamford has a goal shy season or picks up a lengthy injury? Rodrigo said himself when he signed, he was not an out and out goal scorer, neither is Roberts!

Sam Greenwood and Joe Gelhardt are two exciting players on the cusp of the first team, but the gap between U23/s and the Premiership may be too far adrift this season.

Do Leeds need to splash out on a decent centre forward during the Summer?

Former Hull City favourite left bemused by Leeds gift

Former Hull City favourite David Meyler was left bemused after receiving a gift in the post from Leeds Utd. He was even more perplexed when he opened the package, to find out Leeds had sent the former Republic of Ireland midfielder a brand new Leeds shirt, along with a message thanking him for his support.

Whilst in MOST cases, we all love Leeds, apparently it doesn't stretch to those who spend over half their career with Hull City.

Meyler decided as lovely as the shirt was, it deserved to be in the hands of a proper Leeds fan, and had a competition on twitter last night where one lucky White bagged the beautiful attire!

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

Do we need another CF?
    NO
    why? because Bielsaball relies on the CF being the first line of defence andnot many Bamfords out ghere who chase and tackle back in their own half and then bust a gut getting back up top. Bialsaball also relies on goals coming from the wings and midfield not far off 20 goals coming from the wings and expected another 20 coming from midfield, plus the odd goal from defenders. Over the last 3 seasons under Bielsa we saw lots of goals from Pablo and Klich and Harrison. We will see more goals from a rejuvenated Klich but also Dallas and maybe a new midfielder if it happens. Rodrigo will easily hit double figures if he has a full season being fit. Harrison will hit goals again as well as assists and Raphinha will create havoc.

We also have a better striker than Bamford in Gelhardt. I say better at taking chances as an out and out striker, but has a lot to learn to do what Bamford can do. But dont discount his skills and cunning and determination. F I was to chose a backup to Bamford between Roberts and Joffy it would be no contest, Joffy every time.

You should all get to see Gelhardt in the pre season friendlies and then make your own minds up

yesterday I said I would love to get Gallagher from Chelsea but looked like he was going to Newcastle. Well last night it was said Leeds had asked about him and Orta had given him a presentation and sold the project and club to him. Leeds are said to be trying for a loan deal and if possible a buyout next Summer at an agreed price? As usual it could be bollox

3. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

I don't think another striker is needed in this window. I see no reason why Bamford cannot get similar numbers to last season.
    Rodrigo should score a fair few this season as well and then others will chip in from midfield again.
    I may be in a minority here but I think Roberts will improve this season and get to double figures this season. (puts on tin hat)

4. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Two pieces of data from last season.

MOST CROSSES

upload_2021-7-23_10-25-21.png

Secondly, BIG CHANCES MISSED

upload_2021-7-23_10-26-5.png

Whitejock and NostradEmus like this.
  5. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

I think playing in a one striker system we can't upset the apple cart. We have Rodrigo let's not forget, wouldn't surprise me if he gets a few games as our number 9 if Bammers doesn't hit the spots or finds injury. Roberts and Gelhardt also trying to catch the Managers eye.

hemase likes this.
  6. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

We still have the option of 2 loans. As we know Conor Gallagher is in the picture again. seems Chelsea not interested in selling though but will push him out on loan. Alot of people saying they don't want another Ben White situation but Conor is a bit more advanced than Ben White was at the time.
    I'd still take him he a decent Prem player that fills a gap without a transfer fee and as we all know Ben White can be replaced as I'm sure Conor will if he puts out super human performances.
    Obviously we don't have him yet and a few clubs are chasing him but I'd take him on loan
    Would you?

Doc likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The first stat on crosses is very good but that stat also has a bad effect on the big chances missed stat.

8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Gallagher has a contract with Cheslea until 2025 and a market value of £13m, but obviously the greedy prats are wanting to get as much as they can for a player who has never played for them or is ever likely to do so.

Now headlines in London and Chelsea forums and fan blogs. I hope this comes off because he can play anywhere in the middle or even wide left. Played 30 games in the Prem last season and still only 21yo

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Phil Hay saying Kleasson is flying into Leeds early next week for his medical. The deal will cost around £1.6m with all the add-ons etc.

Athletic also saying Gallagher deal is acceptable to Chelsea and the player, so watch this space?

foolee and SIDDAS like this.
  10. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I know it's been discussed here before, but why are we lineing up a young goalkeeper who will be number two and play in the u23s. Surely he won't be happy with this and it may hinder his career.:huh:

11. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Not interested in improving a Chelsea player only for us to have to send him back at the end of the season having increased the value of their asset.

Only a loan with an option to buy makes any sense.

Gessa, NostradEmus, Whitejock and 3 others like this.
  12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Said similar last weekend Shaks as I wondered why a 20yo who has played first team football in Norway is better than a 19yo who played 21 games last season in Prem2 which is a higher standard? It would also make me think that Caprile will be leaving. I get the fact that Klaesson could be a better keeper than Caprile and I would never second guess Bielsa, but look what happened to Huffer and Miazek both U21 Internationals and Miazek was a great prospect and broke records for saving penalties at the club. Caprile came in and within a few weeks Miazek was gone. BPF went, Cooper Skerry now gone and also Matt Turner. Caprile and Klaesson are both the same age and one has come in to be back up to Meslier. It may be that the club have spoken to Caprile and explained he has a bright future but we need Klaesson? My view is we will be losing Caprile now

SIDDAS and Irishshako like this.
  13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Afternoon all

No to another striker it’s a luxury we can’t afford

I don’t get the keeper situation but… I just trust Bielsa so it doesn’t fluster me

14. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Always thought Gallagher has looked a good player, remember watching him for Swansea and thought he was a class act then. Even thought we might’ve been in for him last summer. He’d fit the role that Dallas has been playing in the last 10 or so games of the season. Think a loan with an option to buy for 15-20 million next summer would be a brilliant deal.

Striker wise, we don’t need one. Bamford is so good at pressing and if he can get anywhere near his form lasts season no one would get in the team over him. We have Rodrigo who looked class playing as a 9 at the end of last season and Roberts who can play there if needed as well as this we have Gelhardt and Greenwood coming through.

15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just seen a tweet saying tickets go on sale this weekend for a friendly vs Real Betis

Irishshako likes this.
  16. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

Good luck with that I didn't get a stiff for the Blackburn game

17. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Agreed.

However, can someone tell me who he is going to replace? Bielsa has always said that anyone coming into the club had to improve the squad. So who is he better than, & will the other player be sold off?

As I understand it, Gallagher is a midfielder, but not a winger, nor a DM. That leaves 2 central MF positions he can vie for, which are already covered by:

Rodrigo
    Klich
    Roberts
    Dallas
    Shackleton
    Forshaw
    Raphinha (if the #10 story unfurls as has been suggested)
    Geldhart
    Greenwood

I personally can't see where he fits in in this squad, unless we're in the midfielder selling business.

FORZA LEEDS, ristac and Irishshako like this.
  18. Whitejock

Only 1900 tix & all for away season ticket holders. :(

ristac and Irishshako like this.
  19. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

For me he’s already proven at this level so already goes above Shackleton, Gelhardt and Greenwood. Forshaw is broken so I don’t think we can count him. Rodrigo will be fighting for the more advanced role or even the no.9 alongside Roberts/Klich. And as good as Dallas is we did need cover in that midfield spot last season and it’s too deep for Roberts, Rodrigo and even Klich to thrive in so needed.

Irishshako likes this.
  20. Whitejock

Of course he's above our 2 u23s (presently), but Shackleton? He's played a bit more PL than Shacks, but that's down to opportunity. Might be a different story if he came to Leeds & had the same opportunities as Shacks.

If he was indeed 'proven', he'd surely be playing for Chelsea? But he's not. So if he's not good enough for Chelsea (by a long way, clearly), why does that make someone else's reject a 'must sign' for Leeds United?

Have to disagree with you about Forshaw too. I think it's outrageous to suggest that he is 'broken'. So he's been injured & out for 2 years. There's as much chance of him coming back better than there is of him being worse. Unless you know something that we don't?

FORZA LEEDS likes this.