1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 23rd April)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 23, 2021.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Friday 23rd April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds looking to bolster their U23's

Having recently secured promotion to the U23's Premier League 1, Mark Jackson Marcelo Bielsa and Victor Orta are looking to secure a number of new signings, to compete next season with the likes of Chelsea, Manchester City / Utd and Arsenal.

The young Whites secured automatic promotion after beating Aston Villa last week, sending them twelve points clear of second place Stoke City with three games left.

Nottingham Forest youngster Brennan Johnson is currently on loan with Lincoln City (the same same Robbie Gotts failed to make an impact at). His 10 goals and 12 assists mean his side are currently fourth in League One and five points off the top two. Forest will be seeking a fee of around 10m for the 19yo.

Leeds have also identified Brighton centre back Haydon Roberts. The 18yo has been on Leeds radar for a while. Roberts has impressed this term whilst on loan at Rochdale, making 26 appearances in League One so far, playing at centre-back, left-back and holding-midfield. Unfortunately for the Whites, Brighton don't seem to want to do business with Leeds!

Josh Doig (no relation to 80's player Russell) joined Hibs 14 months ago after being released by Hearts. In his debut season, the 18yo left back has been in electric form, catching the interest of the big guns in the Premiership, including Leeds. Strangely, he is only valued at 1.5m. He is under contract at Easter Road until 2025.

Why is it that the current crop of Leeds youngsters who have been sent out on loan this season have not lived up to expectation?

please log in to view this image

Smithy draws comparisons between bitter rivals

Former Leeds and Manchester Utd forward Alan Smith has drawn comparisons between the bitter enemies ahead of their Sunday showdown.

Smithy, signed up for the Whites as an apprentice when he was sixteen, and made his first team debut two years today. Unfortunately in 2004 when Leeds were relegated from the top flight. They needed to offload their prized assets due to crippling debts, and unfortunately 7m was too good to turn away, even if it was to their bitter rivals over the Pennines! To give him his dues, he donated his 1m fee back to Leeds. How many players have you ever seen do that?

Speaking ahead of the game, Smithy said:-

“You know the passion that both clubs have got and that’s why I loved playing for both clubs. Just because they are very, very similar. “Leeds fans don’t like me for saying it, but the characteristics of both clubs are very, very similar in terms of the beliefs, the history of the clubs, the people who are involved in it, the styles.

“The passion of the fans is very, very similar. I think that’s why it made my transition quite easy in that first year. “And you’re surrounded by world-class players, which makes it a little bit easier as well.”

Toney for Leeds?

Having drawn six out of their last seven games Brentford have slipped from automatic promotion prospects to play off hopeful's.

One player who does stand out in their squad is striker Ivan Toney. The former Posh front man completed his move to West London last Summer for just 5m, replacing Ollie Watkins. This term, the 29yo has netted 29 times for the Bees, and recorded 10 assists!

Assuming Brentford don't go up, should Leeds try and prize away their star asset?

Should Leeds have tried to sign Ollie Watkins last Summer?

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

On the 23s we have out on loan I can only see casualties. There are 2 trains of thought however around Gotts and McCalmont as I usually say once out on loan theres no way back to the 23s. However as next season is going to be really really hard, just maybe having these 2 back in the fold will help the squad. But Stevens must now be history as he hasn't played all season really, Edmondson may have had some decent games but as scored hardly any, so maybe loaned out again but into the Championship. Mujica has an agreement to be bought by his present club, and it seems Bogutsz has had enough and wants out and there are clubs wanting to buy him. Hosannah is injured again so I fear for him too. If young Alfie and Robbie do come back to the 23s its last chance saloon because they have careers to think about and based on playing in L2 this season I cannot see them anywhere near the Prem squad

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

With regard to U23 players coming in, I expect we will see a couple of additions and in the mould of Greenwood and Gelhardt quality. I also now believe that Greenwood, Drameh, Gelhardt and Summerville will be part of the 1st team squad next season but still playing 23s football as part of their education. I heard comments from both Sam and Joffy on winning the league and accepting they would find it togh next season but were looking forward to it, which can only means Bielsa and his staff have spoken to them

Pointless getting into the Smudger debate as he will always be a legend to me and could never understand some fans views of him, because kewell was different

4. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

402450.jpg Morning all,

Happy St George's Day!

5. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Oh I can see the blm protesting outside your gaff Blono....<laugh> Morning all by the way and Happy Georges day to you all.<ok>

OLOF and blonogasoven like this.
  6. blonogasoven

Our first signing should be the Brentford scouts. They unearth these talents regularly. Toney is 29 so I think he'll be too old. I know few will agree but I wouldn't swap Paddy for Watkins.
    Alan Smith was another of the great players produced by this club, let's hope there's loads more to come. I'd much prefer us to bring our U23 into the first team rather than going out and buying a player that will have to be moulded by Bielsa.

southernwhite and Irishshako like this.
  7. blonogasoven

If there's one day we're allowed to be proud to be British it's today :)
    Fk 'em

8. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

St George is patron saint of England.

Irishshako and hemase like this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

There are quite a few you wont have heard about coming through mate. Orta had to start from scratch though as Bates, Cellino, GFH had sold ll the good, closed the academy down in reality but Orta has had to start again. You will have heard about Nohan Kenneh who will benright up there with the best we produced, theres also Max Dean and some of the kids we have in the U18s, U16s are scary to see. Orta has had to go out an invest in recent years because we wanted Cat1 status for the academy ichnwe now have but we also need to compete so needed to bring some quality in. Much of the really good home produced kids will appear for next season and expect us to not go outside for talent after this Summer :emoticon-0148-yes:

blonogasoven likes this.
  10. Irishshako

Who is the patron St of Britain...it used to be Maggie Thatcher(OLOF's fav mot)<party>

OLOF likes this.

11. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

12. Irishshako

:emoticon-0136-giggl

blonogasoven likes this.
  13. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

Oi:mad:

LeedsInHeaven and Irishshako like this.
  14. Irishshako

Ooooh you bit quicker than I thought<laugh>

OLOF likes this.
  15. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

That's what the mistress said :(

16. Irishshako

:emoticon-0165-muscl<laugh>

17. blonogasoven

Oh yes! Sorry. I was mid rant.

Irishshako likes this.
  18. lufctommo

lufctommo Well-Known Member

The poor lad was only 24 when he signed for Brentford at the start of the season. Is he aging in dog years?:emoticon-0102-bigsm

19. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thank goodness Leeds had a defensive crisis. Otherwise, I doubt we were have found out about Struijk.

Tough words, but when have you seen Bielsa give a reserve player a run out (and I'm not talking about one game!

Is this why our youngsters are not improving when they get out out on loan?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  20. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Afternoon all,

British by birth, English by the Grace of God. Happy St Georges day.

As it is St Georges day I ask the question. Who is the best English player to have played for the club in your lifetime?

wakeybreakyheart likes this.