1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #lufc Breakfast Debate (Friday 12th August)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Aug 12, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Friday 12th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds swoop for LA star

USA sporting media outlet Bola VIP have claimed that Leeds have made a £5m bid for Ecuadorian International Jose Cifuentes. The box to box midfielder currently applies his trade with Los Angeles FC in the MLS League, where he scored six goals and provided five assists last season.

Napoli, Leicester City and Brighton & Hove Albion are all believed to be tracking the gifted 23yo, but it is Leeds who have struck first with an offer! If true, can we assume that Mateusz Klich will be on his way out of Elland Road in the next fortnight?

please log in to view this image

Kalimuendo off to Rennes

PSG have confirmed that Arnaud Kalimuendo will be moving to Rennes this summer. The talented young Striker had been on Victor Orta's shopping list for a while, but Leeds never really showed any urgency to get the deal completed, indicating that their interest was lukewarm at best.

There is no doubt, that at only 20 years old, Kalimuendo has all the attributes to make it as a top marksman, but in the here and now, Jesse Marsch is prepared to bide his time. Money is not the issue; media reports indicate that Andrea Radrizzani has a war chest of £40m reserved for the right player!

Leeds unlikely to sign a left back

During his latest Q and A session, Elland Road journalist Beren Cross has stated that Leeds are unlikely to sign another left-back during this transfer window. The No 3 slot has been a constant problem for the Whites ever since Charlie Taylor departed for Turf Moor back in 2017. Leeds have tried a variety of players, but without long term success.

Leeds thought their prayers had been answered when they signed Junior Firpo from Barcelona last Summer for £12m, but injuries, and inconsistent performances soon put that premise to bed. The former Spain U21 International was sidelined once again last month after a promising start to pre-season. This prompted the ER hierarchy to be on the lookout for a back-up player, but with Firpo now back in training, it looks increasingly unlikely that Leeds will invest in another left back, especially when Pascal Struijk has looked solid in that position over the last couple of games (Cagliari and Wolves).

According to Cross "A left-back seems even less likely. There have been no credible links to anyone in the market and the closer we get to deadline day the closer we get to Junior Firpo’s return, which will be an irresistible carrot for the board, who evidently feel comfortable with Pascal Struijk as a back-up for the season.”

2. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

No competition for left back across the ranks is bad news.

Wouldn't be a bad thing having more midfield cover but not at the expense of Klitch please <ok>

ristac, foolee, Doc and 3 others like this.
  3. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I don't know how long we can wait for Firpo to start playing consistantly well. He also seems to find the physicality of the Premier league too much and seems to be injury prone. I'd rather sign a new left back and put Firpo on the bench as back up. <ok>
    Morning all from a sunny Dublin, the weekend of ale starts later to day....<party><ale>

Whitejock, ristac, stonkin and 6 others like this.
  4. Irishshako

Morning Bucks. Do we really need another midfielder, even if Kilch does go(hope he stays). We need a decent striker and LB end of story.<ok>

5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Agree with Shako.

LB and a striker needed. It would be negligent not to sign these positions before the window closes.

wakeybreakyheart, foolee, Doc and 2 others like this.
  6. Irishshako

If the lad Wagner from America is any good surely at 2.5 million its a no brainer. Now I don't have a clue about him if I'm honest. <ok>

Are you heading to the Rhinos game tonight Emu?

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  7. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

Absolutely agree mate. As does 90 percent of the fan base! Why the board can't see it is beyond me

Striker to challenge Bamford not as back up, same for the left back position. That's how you improve!

Doc, 2 pennth, Irishshako and 2 others like this.
  8. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

Think he's a bit of a bruiser. Can put it about a bit, not sure he is prem standard but if the Orta and the gaffer think so, I won't argue based on their signings so far this season <ok>

9. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

No mate. I'm flying to Majorca in the morning. I'm moving house two days after I get back. My Dad was in hospital this week (nothing serious) for a check. My mum can't drive because she needs a new hip. My boy is on school holidays.

I've never been as busy. I'm looking forward to getting some kip at some point. Hopefully catch it on the telly. Big game.

10. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I think the issue were having is convincing top players to join us. Last two strikers have gone elsewhere and it wasn't money seemingly. Despite what we might like to believe, thanks to Risdale and Bates the last two decades have meant were no big deal in Europe and some of these lads were linked to would likely never have heard of the club. Its obviously going to be a major problem if were competing with the likes of Milan for a signature, its really a no brainer for the player

11. Irishshako

If he's a bruiser he's fine by me.:grin:

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  12. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

Morning all.
    Did we have a problem at LB or RB against Wolves?
    The goal came down our right and Struijk's stats for tackling and passing were better than Rasmus.
    I'm not questioning Rasmus, he's new, but Struijk did a good job at LB. He has Jack in front of him for the width if necessary because he is a CB by trade, but defensively he did ok. Very few of you rate Firpo but MB did and JM does so bringing in another LB, which might be a big risk (as we've found out a couple of times) and a waste of money.
    I get stick for saying give Firpo a chance because you think he's ****, but I'm just trusting MB and JM over you setee based coaches.

How is anyone sure that we were actually interested in Kalimuendo?

Marcos Barber, xbpod, foolee and 2 others like this.
  13. Irishshako

And I was told I know nothing about football<laugh>

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  14. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Kalimuendo went to Rennes - pretty sure Leeds United in the PL have more pulling power than them - it was PSG’s insistence on a buy-back clause that ended any deal.

Also we’re not being linked to any top players for LB. Would’ve thought if we were actually interested in Kai Wagner he’d jump at the chance of a move to the PL, so probably no truth in it otherwise it would happen - especially at that price.

Decent LB needed asap imo.

Whitejock, ristac, Doc and 2 others like this.
  15. Irishshako

Hope your Da is ok..<ok> Enjoy the holiday. Any holiday I go on is to Leeds.:grin:

16. bucks_is_leeds

Forum Moderator

Yes mate, totally agree.

But our targets are more the up and coming with a resale value. Leeds in the prem is certainly a good shop window and unfortunately Orta needs to use that as a strategy to entice that calibre of player until we can push on <ok>

17. Eireleeds1

I agree on the Firpo thing and he deserves a chance. He'll be operating to a whole new tactical system and training regime this season. Like a new signing, I reckon give him ten games to see what happens. Actually thought he was good in last two games of last season

18. Eireleeds1

That's it and if the big guns like Milan get involved then the shop window argument is already shot to pieces. Of course the downside is you end up splashing 20 or 30m on largely unproven young lads. Remember that Jack Clarke lad that spuds threw away 10m supposedly on

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  19. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Morning all.

This week seems to have dragged on a bit with virtually no footy but the Championship is back tonight with Watford v Burnley, which should be an interesting game, before we probably come unstuck down at Matt's gaff tomorrow.

Anyone think Serge Reguilon would be a decent signing from Spuds ? Surplus to requirements and training away from the main squad why don't we see if we can get him on a season loan with an option to buy.

Leedsoflondon and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  20. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

I always thought you had class <laugh>

Irishshako likes this.