1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The left sided problem

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Apone, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Apone

Apone Active Member

Why hasn't this been addressed over the last 2 years & 5 transfer windows?

Has anyone any reasons why?

2. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

No players probably, left footed players who play on the left are hard to come by.

We do have Kilgallon who i am nearly 100% sure can play left Back, but havnt seen him play for that long, I may be wrong.

England have had the same problem for years, they have Cole or Bridge at left back, left wing, Adam Johnson, Young is right footed but he plays on the left for Man U and England.

We have McLean for left wing now, but he is an unkown quantity atm, hopefully he gets his chance soon and takes it with both hands.

3. biffa1965

biffa1965 Member

Thats the point though Steve, bringing on Mclean last night against that opposition might have been beneficial, I am not saying we should have started the lad but he may have made a difference instead of throwing on Ji and putting him on the left, after taking Larrson off !

4. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

NO. Short answer but a truthful one. We heard it was a priority along with a striker. I think Sess was brought in to solve the problem but then became a striker leaving that problem and solving the striker problem, but it didnt. Gyan left so the striker problem, you know, the one we solved but didnt, well it was back. We now had two problems, LW and striker but we bought Vaughan and Gardner so that solved that,

confused, join he club

5. Apone

Apone Active Member

Haha <laugh> glad to see I'm not the only one bewildered syd!

6. Haggisbag

Haggisbag Active Member

As I said before the season started, Bruce does not see the problem as he believes Richardson has the whole left side covered on his own.

7. Apone

Apone Active Member

Also, I think bardsleys level of performance as an emergency lb last year maybe took bruces eye off needing to strengthen down the left (incorrectly IMO)

8. Apone

Apone Active Member

I think Richardson's only good position is left back....,, (wait for it).... Left back in the changing room!

<laugh>

9. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

Last night the whole team couldnt pass, but after about 30 minutes, I thought Richardson made 2 or 3 great overlapping runs, LB passed to Larsson, ran past him into space, larsson passed to someone else, usually vaughen, he even apologised to Richardson once.

I dont think he will ever be a proper LB but i can see why he is used, if only we could pass to him when he makes those overlaps.

10. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

Garry Nevlle said on Sky that Richardson could be a future England LB. Just saying what I heard so dont go shouting at me.

11. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I honestly think Richardson's best position is up front, playing behind the main striker...Sessegnon on the other hand does not look comfortable there...As for the left side, it has been a problem for a while now, and one that we seem to having a lot of trouble solving..

12. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

I agree. Richardson can play that second striker role better than Sees who just looks bewildered and pissed off to me. I'll bet you now he is the next one to leave Bruce's 'camp disorganised' in January. His body language was awful last night.

Cana, Bent, Gyan and now maybe Sess too. All good players that have come, looked around, listened to Bruce and after initially thinking okay, have then decided no thanks after 5 mins.

Something isn't right lads behind the scenes with the players and the boardroom. Links of Quinny going to Man City? Short appearing at more games with a face like a slapped arse and fans fighting and squabbling with each other live at the games again.

I think its the tactically clueless manager. He has to be changed or this is going to nose dive towards the Championship very quickly. We have all been here before. You can plainly see it.

13. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Daniel, Day-Lewis.

14. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

the whole team was addressed with 12 substandard replacements <bubbly>

15. billofengland

billofengland Well-Known Member

If you look at Sess on you tube, he is almost always in the middle to right wing, where he was at his most effective, but the fat wally knows better. and I have to say Cest might be right in his prediction about Sess leaving.