1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Good morning all from a cool and dry Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  2. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Didn't think I was that late up Dave!
    Good night from a damp Leafy Bucks!

canary-dave likes this.
  3. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Do you go back to bed Dave?

4. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

You’ve been a couple of hours earlier than usual the last couple of days, Dave. Still, your normal day is what - about 3am to 8.30pm? I trust you nap during the day! My 3am WSM meteorological report is part of my daily routine, though. ;)

5. canary-dave

Yes I do go back to sleep but in my chair, just lately I go to bed at 9pm and I'm up around 1am then I have several naps during the day <cheers>

6. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and showers here today, with a yellow warning to expect strong wind in gusts this afternoon and evening. Mme asked me if I had heard the rain on the roof at 5.30 am as it woke her briefly. I heard nothing. My next door neighbour has asked me to help him move some heavy furniture later today. He cannot remember how he got in in when he brought it over from Florida where he had a house. He owned his house there before the property market crashed and his house suddenly became 75% less in value than he paid for it. Over the years it gradually moved upwards towards what he paid for it, then along came Trump and his spat with Canada. Many Canadians either bought or rented property in Florida for holidays, but they stopped going there, and the prices all fell again. In similar vein I have seen how because of the coronavirus the tourist trade in the UK has taken a major hit. There are things happening that are outside of the control of a single country because everything is so interconnected today. I only have to look at the lorries from all over europe trundling their way north on the A20 to see how it is very difficult to say stop for even a single day. Hope that you all have a good day, and I will be careful on lifting heavy furniture. <ok>

7. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

It was funny last night as I was catching up on Wild Bill (Rob Lowe playing a Lincolnshire police chief, a deliciously black comedy-drama - criminally cancelled by ITV after one series, absolutely criminal!!!) thought to myself "I'd better go to bed before Dave gets up!" … too late!!<laugh>

andytoprankin and canary-dave like this.
  8. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Real concerns today, at my cafe conversation group for immigrants and refugees, about Corona virus... Many new immigrants mix with nationals from the affected countries... We went through all the precautions and concerns...
    Feeling like it is getting closer...

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The French government has issued a lengthy document which as far as I can see covers just about everything you could wish to know and more besides. Do not go and see your doctor if you have some of the symptoms, but telephone a number, and someone will come to you to carry out tests.

10. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

The danger is Frenchie that everyone who has a dose of the normal flu is now going to think they might have the Coronavirus which could lead to emergency services being overstretched.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I agree with that, and there was comment via the BBC that the NHS in England is already at breaking point. I also wonder how many people will find it an excuse to take a couple of weeks off work. It is certainly having an effect on world trade, and we can see how many companies are relying on just in time deliveries. Right across the world we see that stock markets are tumbling, not good news for the pension funds.

12. canary-dave

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

13. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

It is fing scary that is for sure. It has an incubation period of 14 to 24 days so I think the figures are going to get a lot worse in a LOT of places. It might be a good idea to stop all unnecessary travel, but maybe that is me being pandemicantic.

14. canary-dave

Good morning all from a damp and cold Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

15. yorkshirehornet

Morning all... .garden filled with blackbirds this morning... I counted 14..... the ones with the more yellowy beaks are continental partners overwintering.... bright cold and sunny here so far today

oldfrenchhorn and andytoprankin like this.
  16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and dry at the moment, but a chilly wind. Currently searching for a new baffle plate that sits inside my wood burner. The old one that has done great service for 14 years is now so distorted that last night it fell out into the fire. The trouble is that I have no idea who made it apart from the fact it came from Spain. At least with the internet you can do your searches without spending hours going from one store to another. Enjoy your day no matter what you are doing. <ok>

17. yorkshirehornet

You might try stove sellers at le mont.... they are english and have loads of stock and bits and pieces..... we bought from them..

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Thanks for that. My problem is resolved for the time being. 1. Remove plate from stove. 2. Find a flat surface such as some paving slabs. 3. Apply 75 kgs of weight. 4. Finish off with lump hammer. 5. Refit to stove. 6. Stand back and admire. :emoticon-0103-cool:

Lots of info on internet about making your own. It really looks very simple and next time I will get some steel and make a new one.

19. canary-dave

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  20. canary-dave

Good morning all from a cool and damp Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>