1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Do you not need the chimney swept at least once a year to comply with house insurance in France?

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yep

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not strictly speaking. Some of the chimney cleaning products come with a certificate that complies with the requirements of the insurance companies.

4. superhorns

I'm surprised cleaning products would be acceptable as there is no way in telling the competence level of such use. In contrast a registered sweep's competence would naturally be trusted due to training, experience etc. Probably best not to put it to the test as insurance companies tend to actively search for reasons not to pay out claims if at all possible.

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I have found that the insurance companies are fair out here, but very slow. I had a very nice new computer when an electrical surge blew up my existing old one, including the separate surge protector. Another guy I know lost his entire house to fire when a substation went up in flames and destroyed his home, including all the paperwork he saved for showing what he had spent on it. He eventually got his home rebuilt, but there was a long period while his insurers and EDF haggled.

6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Ah... That is worth considering...

7. superhorns

This sounds more Irish than French. :emoticon-0105-wink:

8. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

9. canary-dave

Good morning all from a cool and damp Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Wet again, but every now and again the sun briefly appears. Met a friend in the supermarket car park yesterday who has had a replacement hip. It has been very successful, and being a great tennis fan she is thinking about picking up her racquet again. Seeing as she is in her late 70's I don't expect her to make much of an impact on the world rankings. Enjoy your day whatever you are doing. :emoticon-0100-smile

11. superhorns

Seeing the Greek people have been well shafted by those in Brussels they remain cheerful and polite. Tried to explain to Algerian Parisians that Brits still love Europe this morning at breakfast, don't think I was 100% successful :emoticon-0100-smile

12. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Yes the Greeks are lovely people, we were on Andros Island a few weeks back and as usual everyone were their usual lovely selves and at times very generous.

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I was recently looking at what my old parish Council was getting up to, and noticed that some of the new residents were having a moan about some of the farmer's activities. I then noticed that some people over here had been making similar complaints. My lovely French neighbour has come up with this.

Looking at the news this noon, I see another case of complaint from inhabitants who have freshly moved in, disturbed by the cancanements of the nearby livestock...
    So I have a little message to share with those who would like to leave the urban world to settle in our rural lands.
    So here you go:
    Here is the countryside.
    There are roosters singing.
    There are cows that grow.
    There are ducks that are gossip.
    There are goats and sheep that grow.
    Near The Meadows, around the fields, sometimes, delicate and subtle smells of manure, manure, manure...
    There are tractors that make noise. Who leave a bit of land on the road leaving the plot that has just been ploughed.
    There are combines that make dust and make noise too, sometimes late at night, cutting the wheat,corn, sunflowers...
    There are children playing in the village square, the market, early in the morning, and sometimes the party.
    By place, the bells of the village church sound every hour, or every Sunday morning.

Here... now you know.
    Do you want to live there? Adapt yourself.
    Do you mind? Does it bother you? Stay where you are, where the noises of buses, cars, scooters, horns, sirens, drunk guys on the way out of the bar at 3 am are your daily life. Where to have irritated throat and eyes irritated by pollution is a habit.
    For all these constraints, you have never submitted a complaint, so do you dare to do it in the countryside...
    Do you want calm? Find yourself a desert island, or go live in a vast desert.
    It's simple, isn't it?

Scullion and canary-dave like this.
  14. canary-dave

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

15. canary-dave

Good morning all from a cool and dry Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey but dry for the moment, although rain is forecast. I hope that it will be dry next week as I have a weekend of feasting. Granddaughters birthday today so will be with her rather than watching football, and tomorrow is my monthly dinner date. I hope to get some exercise therefore starting Monday to burn off the excess calories. Enjoy your day whatever you will be doing. <ok>

17. canary-dave

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

18. canary-dave

Good morning all from a cool and dry Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Wet again, still it was expected. Splendid day yesterday with my three teenage granddaughters, and another day today with friends at our second choice restaurant as the owners who we normally see are taking a short holiday break. It must be very hard work to prepare all that food for sometimes a 100 people. I don't somehow think we will be eating outside. Enjoy you day. :emoticon-0100-smile

20. superhorns

Our great week in Halkidiki is nearly over, I have generously advised the locals to vote for Grexit. I eagerly await the results of my efforts. :emoticon-0105-wink: