1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Good morning all from a warm and wet Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. A beautiful start to the day. Doors and windows open to let the warmth in. We will be eating outside for certain today which is good as the terrace at the restaurant is set in a pretty garden, going down to a little stream that once upon a time fed the lavoir. Have a good day whatever you have planned. <ok>

3. canary-dave

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

Hornette_TID likes this.
  4. canary-dave

Good morning all from a warm and dry Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Back to tee shirt and shorts weather now for a few days at least. Splendid day yesterday with my three daughters remembering to send cards and chocolate for Father's Day. They must think I need fattening up, which I really don't. The restaurant was packed out yesterday, and there is a difference between one here and in England. Noise level. With parties sat at long tables, to communicate with someone a distance away requires you to raise your voice. Also there seems to be a continuous stream of laughter. This noise was in the open air, so some of it was lost, but it did die down a little as people became full. Very good atmosphere all round. :emoticon-0100-smile

6. canary-dave

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Interesting article in the Birmingham Mail about how footballers have bought exclusive houses in desired locations, but when they try to sell them they find it difficult. Too large, too expensive except for the very rich, which many of the players are of course. Most of the foreign players who come into the Premier League don't want to buy, they prefer to rent, and as more do come from abroad these expensive properties are appealing to a shrinking market. Many Europeans do not place the same value in owning property as in the UK, they would rather buy a luxury boat that they can use in their spare time and go for a cruise around the Med.

Hornette_TID likes this.
  8. canary-dave

Good morning all from a warm and dry Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

9. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

I'm sure footballers realise that property is a much safer bet for long term financial security than splurging their short career gains on expensive toys that devalue dramatically. The relatively recently introduced high stamp duty rates on more expensive homes has also affected sales. Many footballers have made enormous gains on property in the past especially in London and the South East. Watford's recent horde of foreign imports must realise very quickly their stay at the club may only be for a short time. Why put down roots if they only last a season, often less. What their riches from the EPL does provide foreign players is a huge amount of capital to spend on property when they eventually return to their own countries.
    I hope, and suspect, foreign players are not as susceptible to losing their wealth through gambling. There are far too many tragic stories about UK players suffering poverty once their careers end. Is gambling more prevalent in the UK than elsewhere? I still don't like WFC being sponsored by a gambling company, not good for a so called family club.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and sunny here, with the afternoon temperature expected to be in the low 30°C's. It saddened me yesterday to have to dig up a Bramley apple tree that hadn't survived the heat and drought from last summer. I suspect that it was too close to a large ash tree that had spread its roots quite a distance, and sucked up what moisture there was. Trial and error sometimes works out well, and sometimes not so well.

11. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

managing to mow a damp lawn this morning... just

12. canary-dave

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

13. canary-dave

Good morning all from a warm and damp Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Warm, with a blue sky and a gentle breeze. I am told that we had a thunderstorm during the night, but it didn't disturb me. It was the full works, crashing and banging, heavy rain and gale like winds, and Mme couldn't believe that I slept through it. No doubt it will have brought down some more dead wood from some of the trees, which is a bit of a pain seeing as I have only just about cleared the last lot up. Have a good day whatever you intend to do. <ok>

15. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Wet in Yorkshire after a lovely day yesterday..

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Just back from a local fruit farm where we collected 2.5 kgs of strawberries in 15 minutes. It opens up on a Wednesday to Saturday morning only as a PYO. At one time they were grown on the floor, and you searched for them amidst the straw. Today they are undercover in trays at chest height and you can see them far more easily. All of the apples and cherries are beneath a fabric cover to prevent any hail damage which can devastate a crop in ten minutes.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  17. canary-dave

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

18. canary-dave

Good morning all from a warm and dry Weston-super-Mare

Have a good day <ok>

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and showers seems to the order of the day here. Although it is overcast at present it is quite warm. Many of the fields in the area that had oil seed rape last year are going to be a riot of colour in a month or two with sunflowers. That suits me fine as the the peppery smell from oil seed makes me sneeze, and I have held my breath while going past a couple of acres of the stuff.

20. canary-dave

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>