1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Wet start to the day and according to the forecast it is likely to continue until evening. My neighbour has a very large hole in his back garden for a swimming pool. I reckon it will need pumping out before he goes much further.

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I think he is watching an Ozzie win...

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Later. : Australia win despite their last six wickets fall like skittles..
    A good day for Dan....
    [emoji106]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Deleted....... and Hornet-Fez like this.
  3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

4. Thanks Yorkie!
    Just got home. Long day but very enjoyable one. A decent game of cricket which was in the balance with 10 overs to go and very good natured and friendly people around us. World cups are great :)

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  5. canary-dave

Good morning all from a warm and wet Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

6. yorkshirehornet

Morning folks...

7. yorkshirehornet

... And of course.. It is fixtures day!
    COYH!

Deleted....... likes this.
  8. yorkshirehornet

Glad it survived the rain [emoji299]!

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Some sun and cloud forecast for today after overnight rain. Very mild though and the temperature is on the way up again. :emoticon-0157-sun:

Following a number of representations to my mail box, and reading the comments from last night, both our political threads are now locked and unavailable for further comments. Unfortunately this happened in the past over earlier threads as they became playgrounds to throw insults at other posters. I am sorry to have to do this, but when a person or a number of people can only see things in black or white, the areas of grey are not discussed. There are many things happening in the sporting world, so losing these two threads shouldn't be a great loss.

Hornet-Fez and canary-dave like this.
  10. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I saw the political threads described as 'toxic' by a couple of posters - but how can a thread be toxic ? Only people can be toxic. I also noticed that a poster was criticized for spending far too much time on political threads, and hardly contributing to others - to me this is not a valid criticism as people are free to choose on forums like this. If we are only writing about football then this forum would, very quickly, lose a lot of interest. Threads which, together, have attracted 15,000 replies should not be simply discarded because of the discourtious replies of a couple of posters - this is like closing a pub because of the behaviour of one or two guests. I would prefer us to have a wide range of interests represented on here with threads on just about every subject, so that everybody can contribute somewhere, and so that we have the possibility to get to know each other as friends. I think a poster is far less likely to insult, or belittle, another poster if they know them from other threads and have more points of contact with them. So the answer is - if you don't like a thread then open another one which is more to your taste

11. yorkshirehornet

I take what you say and will miss some of the interchange. I think closing the threads was not my preferred option, but clearly the only one the mods felt comfortable to do.

For the future when we are able to start similar threads, I suggest a code of conduct which people automatically agree to by posting on that thread and if a post infringes that it is taken down with noon thread discussion. Perhaps weneed athird moderater too, so there can be no accusations of bias.. Similar to Var or the F1 stewards [emoji849]

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

A wide range of threads on different subjects sounds fine to me. I agree that people should be allowed to post wherever they wish, however when a decent discussion is underway is it right for someone to butt in and rubbish all other views, then turn against the posters as individuals?
    I have found that whatever action you take will not please some, but that comes with the job. You can set standards that you wish to see, but you have to be able to revise them up or down as the situation changes. I have been asked to carry out one of two options and have taken the one that had the majority support.

13. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

It's not right that someone butts in and rubbishes all other views, but action should be taken against that one individual not against the whole thread.

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

As I said cologne there are two options, and people see things from different positions. I had more people wanting to take them down rather than get rid of someone, and I do read and listen to what people want. My own views are taken into account, but what follows is not always what I would want. If after a period I had sufficient representation to unlock the threads I could, but now is not the time to do that.

15. yorkshirehornet

I think a new thread with agreement on how to run it... I would not reopen the old ones.. Try for a fresh start

16. canary-dave

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  17. yorkshirehornet

Good night campers...

18. Maybe a general thread where you could talk about a few different things. A kind of "get it off your chest" thread!

19. canary-dave

Good morning all from a warm and damp Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright, sunny and warm, just as it was yesterday afternoon. When I lived in the countryside in England I would frequently see foxes in the fields behind my house, or simply crossing the roads. To see one here is quite unusual, yet judging by some of the droppings I found in my fields yesterday I am sure that one had been in there. I also found the unmistakable hoof prints of deer that had been wandering around. I really would like one of those night vision cameras that they use on nature programs, so that I could watch just what they are getting up to.

canary-dave likes this.