1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It is a great shame that the school system doesn't place more importance on language learning. The hotels I stayed in on my holidays didn't have English speaking staff, but then I chose to go away from the main tourist centres. The menus that I was presented with were entirely in French, so at least I knew what I was ordering. The regional dishes I tried were superb, and it was good to be able to thank the chef.

2. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

One English speaker advantage is in the IT industry. A great deal of software gets documented first in English and the rest have to wait. Some documentation never gets translated at all.

But soon the Cadiz area will be full of English speaking spanish waiters with accents very similar to OFH and Mme ;)

3. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Well England under 23s kept us on a roll. 0-2 but doesn't tell the whole story. England shots 26 with 11 on target. Scotland 4 shots one on target.

Guess you could say our old friend Aidy needs to work them on finishing but that might be a little cruel.

I do wonder if Aidy is being bred as the next England manager :emoticon-0103-cool: But be a few years yet. <cheers>

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

https://www.learn4good.com/languages/english_for_tourism/index.htm dunno if these might be worth a look if you ever need to expand the course....BTW, I have never used any of them.

or this; https://www.cambridge.org/us/cambri...ofessional-and-vocational/welcome-2nd-edition

6. canary-dave

Good morning all from a warm and damp Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day <ok>

7. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Thanks Mex but too generic for my guys. The "waiter's course" hopefully is a one off. It is also very tailored to local menus, dishes and products. And contains zero writing. And minimal reading (everything written in the materials has an audio form). And at the start quite a bit of spanish (for example if they get quiz questions wrong they get hints in spanish).

If I was persuaded to do more it would have to follow the same vein.

But thanks for the thought <cheers>

ps Do you get roped into any English teaching in Mexico? I get requests from family all the time but most give up fairly quickly when they realise you have to put the time in and not just chat with the "brit in the family".

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  8. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Mornin' all. Wind and rain has gone. Temps down to barmy English summer level. Great day to stroll the beach but sadly a long day of work for me.

Enjoy <cheers>

canary-dave likes this.
  9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A beautiful autumn morning with the sun shining on browns, yellows and golds of the trees across the fields. Many of the trees are shedding their leaves now, and as fast as I cleared them away yesterday more descended from above. No rain is forecast for the next seven days, so back to watering. The really demanding vegetables such as runner beans have finished, and with some heavy overnight dew the need to keep up is reducing.

10. SandyHornet

SandyHornet Active Member

Evening all, I appear to have wandering back into this establishment. Feels
    like a time warp, the same faces and OFH is still fixing up his Chateau . But looking back on the thread it appears that drinks are sadly lacking, did we close the bar ?
    I hope everyone is well and I look forward to reading the more balanced discussions that I have missed since I was last here.

Hornet-Fez likes this.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I keep going Sandy, but rather than a chateau it is actually a very old cottage. It is no longer quite what it was when we bought it in 2000, but I hope that we haven't changed the character of the place. A goat shed became a kitchen, a loft became bedrooms and en-suite bathroom, and the outside loo became a garden shed. My fields are slowly becoming more useful, but it was an overgrown wilderness, despite being sold as an orchard. There are no shortage of drinks in these parts, and I suspect that Yorkie who is out here is currently treading his grapes.
    What have you been up to? Good to see you are still around and supporting the best club in the country. Well some of us think so. :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  12. SandyHornet

SandyHornet Active Member

I'm good thanks OFH, not sure where I left off before but I now have 3 children. My 9 year old son is severely autistic but we managed to get tickets to the Man City game last season (0-5 ) and watched it from the sensory room at Vicarage Road. It's an amazing view from there, excellent staff and my son seemed to love it. Although I'm not sure if he really understood where he was. But i was very proud to have taken him to my beloved club. It's the only Premiership team with this facility and something that I am also very proud about. The other teams should take note!! Just need to get my 4 year old there and I can officially class them all as hornets!!!

13. canary-dave

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Sleep well Dave, and I am sure we all hope that things go well for you tomorrow.

kchorn likes this.
  15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I am pleased that because of the facility it means that you can go to games as and when you can. I did say at the start of the season how my local French club was creating a system for the blind to go to games and have an audio commentary piped to their seat. Clubs can do things if they are aware of what it means to people to be able to support the club by getting to games. You are right, clubs should follow the lead that once again Watford have shown the way forward.

SandyHornet likes this.
  16. canary-dave

Good morning all from a warm and dry Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day! <ok>

17. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Good mornin' Dave (and good luck today) and all. Here chucking it down in bucket fulls. Lots of thunder and lightening.

Yesterday we had no water for an hour. 20 years ago that was a frequent event here but hasn't happened in the last few years.

Anyways as long as the power stays on I can get on with work. Enjoy one and all. :cool:

canary-dave likes this.
  18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A bit more cloud about this morning, but no sign of any rain. The ground is still like concrete when you try to get a fork into it except for the areas that have been well watered by me. Some places get too much rain, others not enough. Fair shares for all I say. :emoticon-0103-cool:

kchorn likes this.
  19. canary-dave

Not good news, the treatment has not worked and I still can't have the op.

There is a fairly new treatment that seems to be quite successful and involves piping heated chemo into the bladder, but that really is last chance saloon <yikes>

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Really sorry to read that Dave. The new treatment sounds unpleasant, but let's hope that it is a success with you. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts every day. Keep positive, I believe it really can help.