1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Public holiday today, and I don't ever remember so many people in our hamlet at the same time before. Families getting together, the holiday cottages occupied, and there is an unusual buzz about the place. The annual fete today with lots of food, drink, entertainers and fireworks. The sun is shining and it all looks very good. Have a good day whatever you have planned.

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

I was picking blackberries from my high hedge last night using a step ladder. Unfortunately it was on uneven ground. I managed to fall backwards which resulted in hitting my head on a metal table. I dropped most of the blackberries so I threw the rest away. Back to the market today, with a sore head, to buy some safe ones. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

3. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Ouch, I hope that has not knocked any of your good sense out of you! :emoticon-0105-wink:

4. superhorns

It certainly gave the onsite builders a good laugh this morning. Hopefully I didn't damage the table!! :emoticon-0100-smile

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Going back to work after time off is killing me. I need to get back into the rhythm, I am in reverse!!

¡¡Saludos fellow Horns!!

6. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Well that is the excitement over for another year, unless you are heading for the dance or the dodgems. The winners of the triple petanque championship have been crowned and gone off with their winnings. The kids are having candy floss removed from their hair, while the hot dogs and frite stalls are still doing a roaring trade. Philippe Lavil, has completed his list of popular French hit songs, and the grand feu d'artifice have sent the final dozens of rockets high into the night sky. The bars that are set up in the middle of the roads are fully occupied and a few souls who have spent time propping them through out a hot day are now trying to show off on the rifle range. Smiles everywhere, and constant chatter as people talk to whoever is standing next to them whether they know them or not.
    And in another two hours time the small army of 100 plus volunteers have to start to clear the roads to ensure that the local traffic can move in the morning, and in a months time the plans for the 2019 fete will start to be formed.

8. canary-dave

Good morning all from a wet and warm Weston-super-Mare!

Have a good day! <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  9. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Hope you had a great day, ofh. Sounds superb. <ok>

canary-dave likes this.
  10. andytoprankin

Morning, Dave; morning, all. :)

Sliding bevel is fabulous but it’s taken me some time to iron out all the problems of putting in skirting. It’s 175mm tall wood, and we’re not painting it, so I can’t fill inaccuracies.
    Cutting angles 0-45 degrees has been interesting. My compound mitre saw is surprising me with how accurate the bevel cut is, but I’ve learned to measure each cut on an off-cut and fine-tune the bevel angle before doing it on the skirting. The height has also proved to be an unforeseen pain in the arse but I’ve just about sorted out the inherent problems. I think.
    ‘Slow but accurate’ is my method of DIY, and what I’ve done so far looks good. But I didn’t envisage it would take this long. Other ‘jobs’ will have to stay on the to do list...

canary-dave likes this.

11. andytoprankin

Hope you’re okay, sh. I don’t suppose you’ve had any political enlightenment as a result? #knockedsomesenseintoyou <whistle>

canary-dave likes this.
  12. superhorns

I was concerned brain damage might have left me becoming a remainer, I seem to be quite normal so far. :emoticon-0100-smile

brian_66_usa likes this.
  13. andytoprankin

Just what dictionary are you using to define ‘normal’? <whistle>

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. There is near total silence outside this morning after a very late night for some. The farm which normally is making a noise at this time of day as they move machinery around is still. Our guest rabbits have gone back to the granddaughters, so no more chasing them around the garden. The run that I put together for them can now be taken down the fields and used to protect my cabbages from the butterflies. Our friends from Dorset are due to arrive today with their two dogs, so once again we move into the have we got enough to feed and water all of them mode. My everyday plonk might need a spot of upgrading. :emoticon-0100-smile

15. superhorns

I know we asked for rain but all builders went home at 10.00am this morning due to it pouring cats and dogs. They are a couple of weeks behind, house should be watertight by now, very frustrating. That is the problem living on site. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

16. superhorns

Sad day, The queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin died today aged 76. I booked to see her at the Albert Hall back in the late 60's / early 70's. Unfortunately she cancelled due to ill health so I never manage her see her live. I did see Whitney Houston at Wembley but Aretha was a much better singer, real soul.

brian_66_usa and andytoprankin like this.
  17. canary-dave

OK you lovely people, I'm off to bed!

Night all <hug>

Night H <smooch>

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

My friends from Dorset found their way with caravan in tow to a campsite that we could recommend. He was the best man at our wedding, so we go back a very long way. He had a fall a couple of weeks ago and is going around with a couple of cracked ribs. His diabetic wife has an ulcer on her foot and is supposed to keep off it as much as possible. So they are not in the best of health and I was able to help get them set up. Tomorrow I will return and erect the canopy for them as the sun is still very hot.
    Tonight though the aches and pains were forgotten as we sat by the lake that is overlooked from the on site restaurant, and had a very nice meal. It was a chance to catch up. Although we have frequent telephone chats it is not the same as seeing expressions on peoples faces. Once again there were various nationalities in the restaurant, and it was quite funny listening to peoples attempt to speak French, until the waiting staff helped out using the customers own language. There is a 50-50 split of English and French staff.

19. canary-dave

Good morning all from a warm and dry Weston-super-Mare!

Have as good day! <ok>

20. andytoprankin

Morning, Dave; morning, all. :)

Getting ready for holiday day. Which means tidying away all my tools. There rests a dark cloud over northern Hertfordshire this day. :(

canary-dave likes this.