1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Honourable Japanese Grand Prix Awards

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by cosicave, Oct 7, 2018.

1. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Best Driver:
    Worst Driver:
    Luckiest Driver:
    Unluckiest Driver:
    Best Rookie/New Driver:

Best Team:
    Surprise Team:
    Worst Team:
    Best Overtake:

Most Surprising Result:
    Least Surprising Result:
    Funniest moment:
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention:
    Best post in race thread:

Race Rating: ?/10

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  2. cosicave

Doesn't seem much point me being the only prize giver with such reduced interest for these awards threads.

'Bit of a shame since the days when most members took part.
    :-(

3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I can’t speak for anyone else , but I loved reading others comments though rarely posted myself as I’m not as witty as most .

Ps. Did you get my pm ?

4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I always enjoy reading them, even when there's a lot of head scratching going on. :)

There been so many "meh" races of late that it's probably just getting hard for people to come up with good moments.

5. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I'll be the first then though finding it hard when races these days are lacking quality.

Best Driver: Hamilton superb
    Worst Driver: Vettel, a fork in a world of soup
    Luckiest Driver: Verstappen to get 3rd after all that fouling.
    Unluckiest Driver: LeClerc
    Best Rookie/New Driver: Gasly

Best Team: Mercedes
    Surprise Team: STR though we knew the Honda upgrade was going to have an impact
    Worst Team: mclaren. I heard they havnt updated the car since Barcelona?
    Best Overtake: Stroll on Alonso was good

Most Surprising Result: Ferrari going wet before it was wet?
    Least Surprising Result: Mercedes domination.
    Funniest moment: wasn't broadcast but Alonso had a go at F1 in general
    Excuse of the week: Vettels ambitions

Special Mention: Kimi. Not often you hear a driver admit it was his fault when he had all the right to be in the right.
    Best post in race thread: austrian debate

Race Rating: 2/10 a little better but not much.

cosicave likes this.
  6. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

I think its a bit of general end of season apathy at the way the WDC has seemingly been handed to Hamilton by Vettel. The close fight that had been there most of the season has just evaporated.

7. SgtBhaji

That and the "close fight" never really takes place on-track.

8. cosicave

Yes. Thanks, G. I thought I'd replied?

9. cosicave

Thanks, Bando. No time now but I'll fill out the form later.
    Cheers.

P.S. I'd like to know if people think this Awards Thread thing has reached its natural conclusion, and whether we should not bother with it any more.

10. Number 1 Jasper

Not that I have seen .

11. SgtBhaji

I'd like it to continue. I'll try actually contribute to it.

dhel likes this.
  12. Number 1 Jasper

No .

I think keep it .

I will do something by the end of tomorrow , but don't expect good wording *

Nigel Mansell was mi techair in inglish wen I woz at skool !

13. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think these threads are a nice debrief after a weekend.

As with others my lack of participation is more down to lack of interest in the season right now.

Felt it would be a little silly to answer having only watched a 7 minute highlight video.

14. cosicave

OK. Some good feedback here. Thanks to all.

Best Driver: Hamilton. Totally dominant for the whole weekend.
    Worst Driver: Vettel. He's driving like a man unhinged at the moment. Desperate times, yes – but he's sometimes looking rather amateur. Perhaps lucky not to be penalised too, in my opinion.
    Luckiest Driver: Verstappen and Vettel were both fortunate to finish the race. Verstappen's arrogance was astonishing in suggesting Räikkönen should have slowed in order to wait for him to rejoin the track still ahead! And he said it with a straight face!
    Unluckiest Driver: Possibly Leclerc – but I think I've overlooked someone (scratches head…).
    Best Rookie/New Driver: Gasly.

Best Team: Mercedes.
    Surprise Team: Hmm. Ferrari. For several of the wrong reasons. Gambling on the weather during qualifying went against the golden rule of fitting the correct tyres for the weather at the time they're fitted. Yes, it could have paid off but, like playing the lottery, the odds are stacked against it. Very surprised they tried it.
    Worst Team: McLaren. The team has now found itself in the most appalling situation. And in another example of arrogance, in my opinion, Ron Dennis has a lot to answer for.
    Best Overtake: Ricciardo had quite a few. So did Vettel and Verstappen. But like Bando, I'm going to nominate Stroll v Alonso because it is such an unusual thing

Most Surprising Result: Ferrari not ordering Räikkönen over to let Vettel maximise his points tally. However, in light of Mercedes having recently done it – and with both Championships all but over – it was an opportunity for some good P.R.
    Least Surprising Result: Mercedes win – but 1 - 2 was a bonus. Also Vettel trying too hard? Certainly he's still a bit unrealistic in wheel to wheel combat.
    Funniest moment: Verstappen rejoining the track obliquely. Totally unnecessary. But the funniest bit is him playing the innocent party and telling the world Räikkönen "…could have waited"!
    Excuse of the week: As above.

Special Mention: Contributors to this thread. I almost pulled it – so thanks for the eleventh hour support! <cheers>

Race Rating: 7.20/10. I found it pretty interesting. I can only think some people's expectations are unrealistic. The midfield battle was monumental and there was entertainment with some of those at the sharp end too. Hamilton's win was predictable but I don't think that makes it a poor race – especially at this wonderful circuit.

Dell Boy, DHCanary and dhel like this.
  15. cosicave

Off topic.
    So far as I can see, I've replied to everything I've received from you. I just tried to copy/paste the whole conversation for you in one go but couldn't do so.
    If something's missing, maybe you could send it again?

Cheers.

16. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Cosicave, The below is why i just cant warm to Max...he just comes across as a very arrogant prick. He has no respect for his team bosses, race officials nor fellow drivers. He has been in F1 now long enough to know better, they just cant continue to say oh he is new, he will learn. He has no respect and the team and also officials can't control him. It seems like they are a bit afraid of him actually.

To Verstappen: So you’ve been given a five-second time penalty for leaving then track and not returning safely.

Verstappen: What the ****, honestly. I tried to do the best I could, he drives around the outside he could have easily just waited for me to come back. They do a great job, it’s good for racing, I really enjoy this.

Verstappen: What the **** is he thinking to overtake there? So ****ing stupid.

Verstappen: Guys I think I have a puncture, check it please. No, I think it’s fine.

To Verstappen: Stay out, stay out. And mode eight please no Max.

Verstappen: Please let me know as quick as possible with the damage.

To Verstappen: Will do.

To Verstappen: Well done Max it was a very strong drive to get that in spite of the penalty. I doubt you’re too popular with the Italians today.

Verstappen: Yeah, well, that’s not my problem. They were too aggressive.

cosicave likes this.
  17. SgtBhaji

I used to think Verstappen had real potential... Now I think he's got no chance. Not learning, not developing, not progressing, acting like he's god gift to racing. No patience for him.

dhel likes this.
  18. cosicave

Well, I think Verstappen is enormously talented and will probably go on to become a World Champion at some point if he reigns it in a bit.
    However, I agree his attitude on track is often more than a bit over the top.

That said, one recent (but all too rare) bit of maturity which suggests he has the capacity to go further was his recent acceptance of being out-manoeuvred by Vettel at the previous race.

dhel likes this.
  19. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Well he better reign in that stupid don't-care-ish attitude because everyone gets tired of him. I remember one of the first things he said when he came into f1 was that nothing will bother him because he didnt care what other drivers think...i remember i had replied to that in one of my posts.