1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Health and Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Hornette_TID, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After talking to Dan tonight, and both of us deciding to lose weight, we're starting this thread in the hope that together, and with anyone else who wants to join us, we can lose weight.

So, post your goals, and get going with us.

I'm starting on Monday, when are you starting? ;)

View attachment 7724 weight-lifting.gif View attachment 7726 smiley-vault-misc-065.gif

2. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

:) my plan is to lose 2-3 stone in total, though 3 is being a little over optimistic..i'm not 17 anymore lol...but i'd be happish with 2...and if i can lose 1 by Christmas it'll be a huge bonus! :)

3. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

I aim to loose 2.5 stone in order to get to a healthy BMI and loose 5-6 inches around my belly!! Maybe then i will find jeans to fit!!

I will start proper on monday and hopefully we can all help each other and reach any goals we set!! I hope to have this off by Xmas, and then set a new goal after that.

4. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

Wow! Thinking big by Christmas! Hmm, maybe i should move my target! lol....good on you hon...i can't wait to start now! :)

5. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

Well i lost about 1stone in 2months last time so i hope to do it this time too.

Roll on monday!!!

6. vicarage92394

vicarage92394 Member

My initial target,my present weight is 93kg I think..damn euros,why not good old pounds and ounces. Let's get realistic,won't lose it by the time I go on holiday end of November. Down to 85kg by end of January..I've got my first program at gym

7. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Steady on there guys! 2.5 stone by Xmas - that's 35 pounds approx - a tad unrealistic. Any dietician worth his salt will tell you to expect 3-5 pounds loss in the first week, then an average of 1 pound a week thereafter - slow and steady does it!

Mrs B swears by Slimming World - http://www.slimmingworld.com/ - she eats like a horse but still manages to lose every week.

Just wish I could follow her lead though :(

8. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

i used to work for SlimmingWorld...it's the best diet of it's kind out there, by miles. And you can BB...eat what she eats, the weight will come off :)...we're all in it together! ;)

9. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I'm trying to lose weight - I've been putting weight on gradually over the past year but it's accelerated over the last month or so, to the degree that the t-shirt was a tighter than it would've been when I sent Dan what size I'd need. I haven't got any specific target in mind in terms of amount. It's more aiming for being fitter as I have a slight heart murmur which hasn't got worse since it was discovered when I was 21 but I don't want to take the risk.

10. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

I have 103.3kg and wish to be 85kg. Does anyone have a saw to cut a leg off?

11. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Happily I am quite fit. I donot have a heart murmur but I do have a grumbling wife.

12. Bolton's Boots

lol - surely that's the ultimate incentive! :)

13. Jsybarry

I got rid of mine 6 years ago - she's now an ex-wife I get on with better than when we were married. Also I've just weighed myself and I'm 11st 12.5lbs (approx 75.5 kgs) but my weight used to be a steady 10st 7lbs (66.5 kgs) and it's in the last year I put that weight on with about 5.5lbs in the last 6 weeks.

14. vicarage92394

vicarage92394 Member

I did go to the doctor about my weight problem...he said no problems,just put in your 6 inches taller...your weight will be perfect then! Do you think I should change surgeries?

15. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I will be in Hook Norton Brewery territory next week, and to grasp a pint of Old Hooky is a pleasure that I will not be able to resist.

How many calories are there in a pint, and how many miles would I need to walk to burn them up?

16. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Only way is consume less calories and burn more off, so I need to get to the gym at least 5 times a week and cut down on the calorie rich foods. Trouble is they are the foods I love - beer and bread being the ones I struggle with! So a stricter diet and a higher gym attendance so get me down to around 91 Kg by Xmas...

17. vicarage92394

vicarage92394 Member

Just checked it out,there are 138.8 calories in a can of beer(330ml) so I reckon that's about 300 calories in a pint....I play a bit of golf,1 round gets rid of about 1500 calories...have 5 pints and go for a round of golf afterwards...you'll also find your golf will improve 'cos you won't be able to remember how many shots you had!

18. Bolton's Boots

Don't know about the calories, but my best tip for the other one is this:

When in a pub, always sit as far away as possible from the toilets; drink your first three pints as quickly as possible then slow down to a steady pace - that way you'll find that you are constantly running to & fro the toilets and burning off any excess calories that you may imbibe.

As I tell the wife, I hate to think how large I'd be if I didn't stick religiously to this strategy :)

19. Jsybarry

Re: the beer - the following is from http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-solutions which I have edited slightly.

Alcohol puts on pounds in more ways than we can list here, but try these highlights:
    • Alcohol contains calories. You may drink like a fish, but booze isn't water. Even a light beer has more than 100 calories.
    • Booze makes you store fat. Your body sees alcohol as a poison, and tries desperately to get rid of it. Your liver stops processing all other calories until it has dealt with the alcohol. So anything else you eat during the time you're drinking is more likely to end up as fat.
    • A bender interrupts sleep. And sleep is when your body produces its biggest surge of growth hormone, a chemical that signals your body to use fat for energy. The less growth hormone you release, the fatter you become.
    Inconspicuous consumption: When you want to drink less without anyone noticing, start with a glass of water as your first "cocktail" (add a lime for camouflage). Then alternate water with alcoholic beverages. You'll keep your hands busy, and think of all the calories you'll burn during those bathroom runs.

20. Bring Back Wooter

Well, I am 4 weeks into my healthy eating regime. I make sure I eat healthy during the week (and eat what I need, as opposed to what I went, when I want) and not worry about what I am eating over the weekend. A bit like the Butterfield Diet:

[video=youtube;VWgwJfbeCeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgwJfbeCeU[/video]

So far, I have lost 10 pounds!! I generally feel much better as well. Now at 14.5 stone, and BMI just a bit higher than "ideal". Having said that, I'm not necessarily trying to lose weight, or reduce my BMI, I am just trying to lose the belly, which has noticeably shrunk!