1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The great Norwich city goalkeeper debate

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Aug 11, 2018.

?

Who should play in goal ?

1. Matthews

10.5%
  2. Krul

73.7%
  3. McGovern

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fahrmann

15.8%
  1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

After today's clown like performance from Krul and Matthews not covering himself in glory when given the gloves in pre season.
    McGovern could be given a try again?

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Remi all the way for me <ok>

3. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

4. DUNCAN DONUTS

You are supposed to chose one .

5. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Not happy with Krul today, but was happy when we signed him. I'm hoping this was an early cock up because he's not played a lot, I'd expect him to get sharper the more he plays, and when he gets up to level, he's our best keeper.

Before we signed him, I was happy with Mathews.

Never McGovern. He's only been good for about 4 games in his career. At the Euros or whatever that was, when we signed him. He's awful.

JM Fan, Canary Spring and DHCanary like this.
  6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Still Krul for me. All 'keepers make the odd mistake, as long as they don't become common then he should keep the position. Our defence need to be able to build an understanding with a goalkeeper, that's much harder if we chop and change.

Matthews can still go out on loan this month, allowing him to prove himself and develop. I don't see any point dropping Krul now, only to flip back in a few weeks when Matthews has an iffy game.

carrowcanario likes this.
  7. Canary Spring

OK, Simon, no to McGovern. I'll stick with Krul for a couple of games and hold on to Matthews for awhile before deciding whether to send him out on loan.

8. DUNCAN DONUTS

Ditto but maybe keep Matthews in the squad .

JM Fan likes this.
  9. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

We need a second GK and I don't want McGovern to be that.

10. Canary Spring

I see what you two are saying and I can see Krul as a backup, but I think Remi needs experience. Can he get that in practice against our first team offence? Possibly.

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just seen this - 'Tim Krul can count on Daniel Farke’s support after embarrassing spill in 4-3 West Brom defeat.'

12. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

We lost 3-1 to Sunderland at CR at the same stage last season and nobody was calling for Gunn to be axed. Give Krul more time.

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  13. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

Tim Krul gets my vote, remember he was one of the top keepers in the prem when playing for Newcastle before his horrific injury. Ruddy used to make the odd clanger when playing for City but as fans he was a legend to us and I am sure many were sad to see him go. As for Remi Matthews I think he should be sent out on loan to another Championship club until the January transfer window to get championship experience as he has proven he can do it at league 1 level but needs the championship experience to be able to force his way into the first team.

14. DUNCAN DONUTS

That would mean Krul would have to go the whole season uninjured with McGovern deputising in some cup games.
    Matthews and Krul should be battling it out .

15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To argue against my last post in this thread, very few championship clubs will be at this stage of the transfer window and not have a good idea who their senior keeper is. Finding Remi a competitive loan may not be easy.

16. RiverEndRick

What evidence is there that DF or SW or ''the club" have any doubt who the senior keeper is? Yes Krul made mistakes but who didn't? As Hanley summed it up:

“Every one of the goals was avoidable. I don’t think one of them we could hold our hands up and say fair enough, they beat us fair and square. So we’ve got to have a look at ourselves. There are a lot of positives to take. A side like West Brom has obviously got top players and we dominated the game for large spells. We scored three goals, which isn’t like us really. But a lot of our game last year was priding ourselves on being solid and hard to beat, and it felt at times like we weren’t that. So we know we’ve got to do better."

It's a team game, which means getting the balance between attack and defence right. We didn't do that. Neither did West Brom. Krul was left exposed too often and Hanley is right to see that as a team rather than individual problem.

17. DUNCAN DONUTS

It is just an opionon poll Rick I didn't claim to have any evidence that DF or SW have any doubts about who the senior keeper is.

I was interested to see who everyone would rather have and unsurprisingly it's.

1. Krul
    2. Matthews
    3. McGovern

Depending on how many clean sheets or howlers that may change over the season.
    That's 6 In 2 at the moment an average of 3 goals a game, if we get to 5 games having let in 15 I would expect Matthews to get a run out .

JM Fan likes this.
  18. RiverEndRick

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  19. DUNCAN DONUTS

It appears to me that Farke's biggest criticism last season was the boring tippy tappy approach to games and lack of goals.

The last 2 games may have been shambolic in defence but we scored 5 good goals and the forward players have looked sharp .
    I'm far from wetting my pants at the moment but that first win can't come soon enough.

Fortress Carrow road looks like it's been made from cardboard boxes and left out in the rain and that has to change or the pitchforks will come out.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  20. RiverEndRick

I feel much the same and agree with DH that defensive mistakes are easier to sort out than a weak attack. I'm excited about our attacking options now, but as you say, we now need points quickly if we are to stay in promotion contention. The next match won't be easy, but we do need a win.

JM Fan and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.