1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Early Breakfast Debate (Mon 24th June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 23, 2019.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Evening / Morning Everyone

Are we lagging behind other Championship clubs when it comes to transfers?

There have been 18 transfers so far in the Championship, with a total of 4.7 mil spent.

The only bargain transfers that stands out to me is West Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield snapping up centre half Tommy Elphick on a free transfer and highly rated youngster Reece Brown from Forest Green which will be settled by tribuneral.

Both players have been linked to Leeds in the past, most recently Brown, though with Leeds leaking goals like a sieve, surely an experienced centre back on a free transfer would be beneficial?

Thoughts?

For the last few seasons Liam Cooper has been Leeds Captain!

Is he Captain material?

Does the Captain need to take some responsibility for Leeds collapse when the going got difficult during the last 10 games of the season?

Is Cooper good enough to play?

Over the weekend, Leeds were linked to 41 yo Italian goal keeping legend Gianluigi Buffon.

Although the former Juventus veteran is not on 4m Euro's a year anymore, he'd be well out of Leeds grasps.

According to David Anderson of the Mirror, a year keeper is well down on Bielsa's wish list.

Does Casilla deserve a vote of confidence?

Sun Journo Alan Nixon claims that Leeds are monitoring the availability of West Ham forward Jordan Hugill.

The 27yo need six times in 37 appearances whilst on loan at Boro last season.

West Ham are desperate to get the former Preston man off their books, and will consider both a loan or a nominal transfer fee.

Thoughts?

2. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Evening/morning all.
    I am well vino'ed but hear goes Cooper as captain not for me.
    Let's hope coming week brings us better news than last week.

Complaint to IT manger, can you stop this page jumping up and down<laugh>:smiley-finger007:

3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Evening 2pennth

Cooper had his best season ever last season, but as we have seen, he still has a mistake or two in him.

I don't see him as Management material. We need someone grounded but passionate

2 pennth likes this.
  4. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Sorry Ell, but you're talking bollox re. us 'leaking goals'. Given our style of play, you could even excuse us if that was the case, as our game is all about calculated attacking risk. And yet, even taking this risk, only 2 clubs let in fewer goals than our 50 - Blades & 'Boro conceded only 41 each. Put another way, we had a better defence than 21 other Championship sides. You still sure we have a problem there?

And as for Cooper, how many managers is that now that have appointed him captain? Even the squad elected him when asked! He must have something going for him as a leader, surely?

And yes, he will always have a mistake in him. Just like every other member of the team. The day that you stop making mistakes is the day that PL teams sign you up.

w.c.dukenfield likes this.
  5. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Evening morning all. Watching Brazil in World Cup. Not an unpleasant experience. Just got our supporters clubs dates. They’re doing three weekends Sept March and final game of season. Can only make the last two so may try a couple of one daters before Xmas. Sky permitting of course. Two months of this transfer malarkey still to go <doh>

6. Whitejock

Btw, met my new neighbours today (just before we move out of our rental next week!). It's Stuart McKinstry, our new 16yo winger from Motherwell, & his dad. Went up to introduce myself & they were expecting me, forewarned by our shared Letting Agent. :) Very interesting, and if the lad plays like he talks, he's going to be a revelation. He's buzzing & can't wait to start. As it happens, my suggestion that he get in touch with Josh Rae (recently departed 'keeper) was acted upon. It seems he knew him anyway. :)

I went through the list of what Bielsa requires of him, like intensity, passing, pressing, versatility ... etc. Interestingly, father & son were nodding at each other with a smile at every attribute I mentioned, which I found very encouraging.

He was brought in for the u18s, meaning he should have started pre-season next week, but got a short notice call telling him to report today (Monday) for training with the u23s & first team. I don't like reading things into this, but it is tempting! :) Just to play it down, all of the u16s & u18s could have got the same surprising phone call for all I know. But we are looking for 3 wingers, apparently, and .... well, I'll leave my groundless speculation right there. <laugh><laugh><laugh>

Is he ready? I have no idea. 6 foot of skin & bone. Perhaps he needs to develop his body, but, I can think of a number of players who were skinny right up until they hung up their boots. Btw, didn't realise that his dad, John, played for Motherwell himself, in the 80s.

7. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Evening Morning..

Watched England Cameroon, what a filthy bunch Cameron are, still finding it difficult to get into though.

No I don’t believe we’re lagging behind, I just hope we have alternatives this time if anyone starts pissing us around, no drawn out all eggs in one basket scenario like Vydra and Hernandez last season and James in January.

We’re going to be linked with every keeper going, not sold on Cooper but we’ve had worse, I’m not sure what he could have done with a few games to go, if he’d went ape at the players would he have been accused of panicking is the calm look more appropriate?

Lack of converting chances ultimately cost us, a number 10 in Tyler Roberts with 32 games 3 goals isn’t good enough and rather than post Bamfords appearances to goals ratio I’d like to know how many missed chances he squandered

8. Whitejock

Couple of points.

1. Wonder what Bamford's conversion rate is compared to Beckford's? You also have to remember that to convert a chance, you have to be there! So Bamford appears to be one step ahead of Roofe, if you think about it in that manner.

2. Roberts was brought in as a young striker to develop. We started that process, then Bielsa decided to convert him into a #10. Injuries didn't do him a heap of good either. Perhaps the time to judge him is this season, now that he has a better idea of what's required of him.

9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I’d definitely keep Tyler, I think he is work in progress, it’s not an easy position we’ve also seen how bad Roofe looks when playing their. Sadly the best one recently was an in form Saiz, the opposition didn’t know if he was going to run with the ball, shoot or put in a pin point pass.

In regards to Bamford, all I can find is an Opta stat mention looking at the game with Preston where Bamford scored a double and we moved to second in the table. Looking at the next 4 games after that when we slipped from 2nd to 3rd it’s quite alarming actually as it reads in 4 games the team had 112 shots scored 3 a conversion rate of 2.7%

Whitejock and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  10. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning WJ, you leave my bollocks out of this.

According to our form guide going into the last six games of the season, we were 18th. That is because of the goals we were leaking.

We conceded 50 goals last term. Unless you've got first class strikers which we don't you're not going to get promoted if you concede as much as that.

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

http://www.footcharts.co.uk/index.cfm?task=basics_shotsontarget

Simple chart, it shows who had the most shots together with who had the most or least shots against them. Anyone feeling our defence or Phillips we’re not at their best (excluding the Keeper), we had the least amount of shots against us and least against us on target than any other team in the division.

Shots for we were third.

12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

As far as pecking orders go, surely Bogusz who is over a year older and stronger would give McKinstry a run foe his money?

13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning ristac, shame it doesn't show this, but Leeds delivered the most crosses i9nto the box by a mile.

14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire

15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

please log in to view this image

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

He was expecting me <laugh><laugh><laugh> We dram young man to celebrate <cheers>

In all fairness WJ when we let Hugo Diaz go I suspected something is planned for happening at TA. My thought process:
    • Either a new first team CB coming in (White) which means Halme and Struijk mainly U23s this season.
    • If either Halme/Struijk promoted it should mean Kitching coming back.
    • More kids being signed to replace those promoted to first team
    • Bogusz came in as a 17yo for the U23s and expect him to make the first team
    • Young Stuart brought in for the U23s again bypassing the U18s
    • I expect Machuca and Balboa to be let go but Oriol Rey could be brought back to replace Diaz as a DM
    • Radz said last season that the Academy needs pairing down to save on wages, so Diaz going on top of the 3 kids let go so far backs that up. This must mean kids need to be able to play 18s and 23s at times especially if half a dozen are in the first team squad.

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

Buffon will not be coming and neither will Dani Alves or Payet.

Clarke will probably go and if that happens some fans need to be realistic, because if we had won promotion Clarke wouldnt be for sale. We got £14m for Woods a proven goal scorer who played a full season. We will be getting around the same money for a young inexperienced kid who started 3 times and made 20 sub appearances. Its also around the same money man Utd are paying for Dan James, so good money.

Still may lose Forshaw and Berardi and even a story last night that a top European club want Alioski. All quiet on the Pontus and Phillips front so not expecting either to go.

Obviously movement of a lot of excess players needs to happen this week and next.

Saw a tweet from kiko this morning which was a photo of the airport and a bunch of imogies of a face crying. Is he sad to be leaving Spain again or sad that he has to come back to Leeds. The latest on him is that he is staying and Leeds not looking at Travers or anyone?

Reckon litter picking going on as we speak but who will report on what groups are being formed....

Anyone watching the Copa America games which now have Qatar involved and Qatar money and their national team brought on by The Aspire Academy?????

We may see players given different roles this season and a rumor that Alioski could be taught how to do No10, Roberts made to compete with Bamford and Roofe for strike role. Shacks taught to play No10 etc

18. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Doc, won't Kitching get better experience playing first team for Harrogate than u18's?

old sea dog likes this.
  19. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good morning to Matt and co from a dull Bardsey
    Just had a great nights sleep so I feel I have turned the corner at last
    This week should be interesting on the transfer front Clarke going to Spurs giving us some money
    Newcomers White ODawda and a keeper Travis would do
    Never believed Cooper was good enough.lets hope White is
    Whats happened to Luke freeman will he replace Forshaw I wonder

Whitejock likes this.
  20. ellandback

Forum Moderator

A rumour doing the rounds regarding Clarke is that the fee will be 8m, plus add ons!!!