1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The downfall of the house of Leggo

Discussion in 'Celtic' started by DevAdvocate, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

DAILY MAIL MAN AND IRISH GOLFER'S SCOTTISH SECTARIAN SLUR

MY phone was pretty busy yesterday as chums in the press pack called to chortle about Odious Creep’s discomfort.

One pal even suggested I should bring in an annual Odious Creep Award for the most poorly researched piece of sports journalism of the year.

Not only did I tell him that I thought it was a splendid idea, but added there was already a top contender for the award with this year of our Lord 2012 not yet a fortnight old.

Step forward the Scottish Daily Mail’s chief sports writer, John Greechan who seems keen to swallow any old guff…but only if conforms to what many may think is his anti Rangers agenda.

In his Monday morning column he was keen have a sideswipe at Scotland, as others see us, by revealing that the Irish golfer, Paul McGinley had suffered sectarian abuse while playing in Scotland.

Greechan repeated, as though it were a fact carved in stone and brought down from the mount by Moses, into whose hands it had been delivered by God, that McGinley had signed autographs for kids in Scotland only for them to tear it up in front of him before calling him a “Fenian so-and so.”

So what was the source of this alarming tale which Greechan seemed happy to believe and repeat in Scotland’s third biggest selling daily newspaper?

Well, it appears McGinley made the claim during at interview on an Irish radio station, called, Radio Highland. The show’s host was someone called, Shaun Doherty and McGinlay, according to a report in the Sun, actually said the alleged culprits were Rangers supporters, adding that Rangers fans are not fond of him.

But how did he know they were Rangers supporters? And where and when did this ALLEGED incident happen.

I highlight the FACT that it is an ALLEGATION, without any proof, just as the Sun made clear in its report. Allegation and claim were the words which recurred.

Though, to read Greechan’s view in the Scottish Daily Mail, you would think a police investigation had taken place, the offenders charged, placed before a court and dealt with by the full Majesty of Scottish Law.

None of the above has happened.

Perhaps Strathclyde assistant chief constable, Campbell Corrigan will ask McGinley to assist police enquiries the next time the Irishman is in Scotland. Being ever mindful of the charge of wasting police time.

So what do we know. Well, the Sun report claimed that Paul McGinley, a 45-year-old Irish professional golfer, is a Celtic supporter who often wears his team’s colours on the golf course, is a friend of Celtic owner, fellow Irishman and golf nut, Dermot Desmond and is also believed to be a Celtic season ticket holder.

What we do NOT know is on which golf course and during which tournament McGinley was meant to have been subjected to this abuse.

We do NOT know if he summoned any of the many official stewards and marshalls who are never far from the pros during a golf tournament.

We do NOT know if the matter was reported to the police.

We do NOT know what, if any investigations, were undertaken by the police.

We do NOT know how these mystery culprits were immediately identified by McGinley as Rangers fans.

We do NOT know an awful lot about Irishman, Paul McGinley’s claims.

One thing I DO know is, after having covered a number of major professional golf tournaments in Scotland over the last decade – the Open and Scottish Open in particular – I have never seen Old Firm tops or football colours worn by the many polite, well behaved young people who give rapt attention to the deeds, mood swings – Monty – and swings of their off-the-tee heroes.

Nor is it usual to see those golf pros wearing team colours, in the way it is claimed Paul McGinley parades his support for Celtic on the tees, fairways, bunkers and greens.

Certainly McGinley’s more famous and more talented fellow Irishmen, Darren Clarke, Graeme McDowall and even the still young and marvellously exciting Rory McIlroy, don’t do it. If they support any team then they keep it to themselves.

None of which was addressed in the Scottish Daily Mail by John Greechan, who often has a sly wee dig against Rangers supporters, claiming they bring shame to Scotland.

Greechan is often keen on defending Scotland’s reputation. Yet when this wee nation’s honour was attacked, without any proof positive, by a foreigner, he failed to pick up the claymore in defence of Auld Scotia’s reputation

Funny that!

:emoticon-0102-bigsm

2. Admiral Pure

Admiral Pure Well-Known Member

Dev - Timmy made it up <grr>

3. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Does he do one of these every day? Awesom stuff.

4. harryhood67

harryhood67 Well-Known Member

Ian Poulter towel is half Arsenal his team ,half Celtic his caddy team , at golf tournaments you do see plenty old firm colours , because Paul Mcginley didn't report the incident ,dosn't say it never happened and certainly dosn't stop him discussing it in his home land on local radio

5. DevAdvocate

Every day, he's as funny as Mad Vlad.

6. Mind The Duck

Mind The Duck Well-Known Member

How dare he slander our neds...

Honestly, Leggo cares more about this than mcginlay, allegedly...

I need to subscribe to his blog

Alf Garnett, your successor has been found

7. DevAdvocate

Here's part of what McGinley actually said:

"The Rangers fans are not very fond of me, even though with 99% of them it&#8217;s just a bit of banter.
    "I have had a few incidents in Scotland. The nastiest moments have been with the kids. They would often ask me for an autograph and then they would tear it up in front of me and call me a Fenian so and so.
    "That&#8217;s just the way things are but you just get on with it," he said.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...-his-love-of-celtic-179290.html#ixzz1j9n215Rv

Funny how Leggo missed that bit about the 99% out?

8. Thomas The Cat

Thomas The Cat Well-Known Member

Why discuss it like a real article? He's a ****ing mongo laugh at him no more.

9. Mind The Duck

Funny how Leggo mentions incidents at tournaments but mcginlay didn't

10. Magic Laudrup 11

Magic Laudrup 11 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anyone that spends so much time writing blogs about injustice for either side of the OF should be put out of their misery. Leggo should follow the lead of the Polish prosecutor <ok>

The same applies to Celtic fans who do the same, but obviously about perceived injustice against Celtic.

<shotintheheadmuir>

11. DevAdvocate

Well spotted <laugh>

12. Mind The Duck

"he should have checked, double checked and re-checked" what he wrote

13. Go G YellowScreen

Go G YellowScreen Well-Known Member

He seems to have two main topics of late:

- Odious Creep

- Stewart Regan/Vincent Lunny and their pro-Fenian agenda

He used to post on the old 606. Think he posts on FF now.

14. DevAdvocate

The scary part is that Leggo used to work as a journalist for the Express and the Sun I think. (it was actually The People, not the Sun) (We Arra People) I look forward to deluded rantings on Traynorland and Jackoland when they get the tin tack from the Daily Record.

15. Mind The Duck

Who was he on 606

16. DevAdvocate

Girvan Loyal <ok>

17. Ciaran

Ciaran 2016 POTY

Pud should make this a sticky and have it updated every day. That's the best thing I've read in ages.

18. DevAdvocate

I don't mind updating it, some of his ravings are the work of a madman.

19. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Bib Fortuna's Maw Well-Known Member

<laugh>

I was just checking his "daily" blogs from March/April last year and a lot had gone missing.

I looked just there and even more are missing - the ones that he hasn't deleted are still hilarious.

Heaping praise on Hearts for supplying "Wills & Kate" cakes to the media room and offering free entry to anyone called William or Kate (did this really happen? What a shower of spastics)<laugh>

In the same entry, he came out with these two crackers

<laugh> - anyone know anything else about this? Did Villareal fans smash their own team's bus?

and...

All the Trish Godman and "It isn't Rangers fans sending the bombs" stuff has been, ahem, edited but the guy is a serious zoomer.

20. Go G YellowScreen

Go G YellowScreen Well-Known Member

"According to the consensus, TWO BILLION people watched the Royal Wedding on television throughout the world."

I love this lie. Less that a third of the people of Britain stopped to watch it yet we're meant to be believe a higher percentage of Africans, Asians, South Americans etc. were watching?!?

"How does that compare with Seville?"

<laugh>