1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

They are all too cheap if you ask me. No airline should be offering flights for 20 quid, it just encourages too much travel at huge cost to the environment. Local inhabitants from Barcelona to Dubrovnik are sick of being invaded by tourists, Majorca is full to breaking point. Low-cost air travel is another example of something which initially seemed a good idea but has actually brought more negatives than positives.

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well here is a dance I had to watch all the way through. Went onto YouTube and a series of clips came up. This was one of them. Enjoy

3. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

In sunny Majorca at present and would totally concur. Haven’t been on a package type holiday for years preferring the campsites and beautiful coastline of Brittany and west France which never feel overly chokka. The misses decided on a change this year. So we’ve substituted peace and tranquility for a hotel full of moronic brits who get up early in the morning to reserve their sun beds then **** off until late afternoon. The beaches are rammed and everything is expensive. Safe to say I shall be wearing the trousers again next year when holiday destinations are decided. Totally agree on cheap flights although if you want to actually take any luggage you won’t get far for £20.

4. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

As the clip will show at the end, he may be blind, but he has a wonderful life.

5. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Turkish lira. The arse has fallen out of it the last week.
    A pal of mine booked a holiday with his lass next month, they have split and now i have the option of a freebie bar the £60 name change fee. 5* AI.
    The £ has went from buying 2.5l to 9l in the last week, must be super cheap out there at the moment.

6. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Last time I was in Majorca was in the 80's, a Club Med thing that my better half arranged while I was abroad working. Got back in time thankfully, and vacation was, well, OK I guess. Majorca wasn't too overcrowded in those days, although I did hate being pressed into ****ing competitions all the time. Needed a rest more than anything else. Do remember one damn funny thing though. They had a shot put competition, and this German guy, cocky bastard, had all the preliminary actions of a top class shot putter. OK, his efforts were pretty good, must say, but not half as good as the eventual winner, a quite ordinary looking guy from God knows where. He was the last to throw, and calmly picked up the cannonball with one hand and, I swear, straightaway chucked the bloody thing about a metre further than anyone else, in fact, made the judges jump out of the way! Made my day, pissed myself laughing at the look on this fancy German guy's face!

Ron and Chaninbar like this.
  7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I went to Majorca once. Can't remember when or why or who with. I think I enjoyed it but can't recall anything about it. Vague memory of the beach but so vague, I'm beginning to wonder if I actually went there <doh>. I have clear recollections of my 3 weeks in Cyprus in 1960 something. Alf Ramsey was on holiday, in the same Hotel (in Kyrenia). Able to see the whole island and Famagusta was lovely at the time

SwanHills and Chaninbar like this.
  8. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

In the battle of the ‘strongmen’, Trump v Erdoğan, there is clearly only going to be one winner. The unwillingness of the Turks to defend their currency is seeing the exchange rate rocket but it will be bad news eventually as capital flight weakens the Turkish economy, just as it has destroyed the economies of other emerging markets such as Argentina. In the short term,the problem for Turkey is how much imports are going to cost.

The Trade War with China is going to leave everyone worse off but it may deliver in the short term for The Donald, whose policy agenda does appear to be dictated by what he can squeeze into 140 characters.

bayernkenny likes this.
  9. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Raheem Sterling: Manchester City winger is targeted by racism, says Ian Wright

Utter rubbish from Ian Wright. He is obviously desperate for anyone to listen to his opinions.

Criticism of Raheem Sterling is nothing to do with racism. He got a stupid gun tattoo on his leg that would have been criticised just as much if he had been a white player. Black footballers do not have a monopoly on stupid personal life choices – look at Katie Price. His record in an England shirt has been absolutely abysmal: can anybody remember the last time he scored for England? If he had only scored twice in more than forty matches for Manchester City, he would be on the bench getting five minutes a week as a time-wasting substitute.

10. Cyclonic

In 2001, what was left of Donald Campbell's Bluebird was salvaged from her watery grave in Coniston Water, a place where she'd come to rest since that fateful day in 1967. After five years of cataloguing pieces of the find and another ten years of manufacturing new parts, Bluebird made an appearance on the waters of Loch Fad about a week ago for a test run. All going well, hopes are held that sometime next year, she will return to the scene of her accident for some speed runs. What a beautiful lady. And does she reek of raw power or what? :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    redcgull likes this.

11. Cyclonic

A bit more on Donald Campbell and Bluebird.

redcgull likes this.
  12. SwanHills

"The Book of Kings": The book:

"An epic poem written in he 11th Century helped save the Persian language, writes Joobin Bekhrad."

"To say that, by and large, we Iranians are proud of our ancient culture and the Persian language – often to a fault – is to point out the obvious. In naming our children, we look back to our emperors and the legendary heroes of ancient Iran. We revel in the syrupy sweetness of Persian as the words of Hafez, Rumi and myriad other mystics and bards languidly roll off our tongues, leaving us and our audiences spellbound. We believe, as Sa’di once wrote, that mankind is one, but nonetheless regard our roots and distinct identity with an ineffable reverence and joy. Yet, there might have been relatively little left of our indigenous culture and the Persian language to celebrate today, had one particular poet not been around."

To continue with Joobin Bekhrad's article:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180810-the-book-of-kings-the-book-that-defines-iranians

As I have already said, If Trump and Co. think they can defeat the Iranian/Persian people easily, and threaten them at will, they've got another think coming.

13. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

I suspect the only Americans behind Trumpetto on a ground war with Iran are those rich enough to 'buy out' their sons and daughters if it gets nasty or those too old to be involved. It seems just about every sensible and sane volunteer serviceman, from whatever country, has a pretty good idea what 'war' entails and is not too keen to become involved.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    SwanHills likes this.
  14. SwanHills

Agree 100%, those in power who scream and threaten like the madmen they are have not a clue on what a war is, and in most cases avoided military service when younger. When they start a war which they have themselves created, they will almost certainly vanish down a shaft and live like the rats they are, while our planet goes up in flames. Trump saluting and sucking-up to the military is truly sickening.

bayernkenny likes this.
  15. OddDog

Staff Member

Note for Kenny and Swanny - on my flight from Salt Lake City to Seattle with Alaskan Airlines today I drank a couple of cans of Alaskan Kölsch - very tasty :)

bayernkenny and SwanHills like this.
  16. bayernkenny

Possibly going to visit a (non Trump supporting) cousin in Texas in December 2019; how far is it to Sarah Palin land?

17. OddDog

Staff Member

Isn’t she up in Alaska?

Short layover in London before the last leg of my journey back home to Berlin.

On the flight from Seattle I watched the film „Hostiles“ with the excellent Christian Bale. Without doubt one of the finest Westerns ever made <ok>

SwanHills and bayernkenny like this.
  18. bayernkenny

On the movie front:

1. Just received DVD of 'In The Fade' with Diane Kruger (yum-yum ......sorry!).
    2. The Captain (Der Hauptmann) on order for UK release (with subtitles).
    3. Looking forward to 'Hurricane' about the Poles who fought in the Battle of Britain.
    4. Also looking forward to 'Outlaw King' about Robert the Bruce; will no doubt be dismissed because of historical inaccuracies.

I will wait for 'Hostiles' on Sky Cinema.

Oddy; I hope your visit to the land of the setting sun was enjoyable and rewarding!

SwanHills and OddDog like this.
  19. OddDog

Staff Member

Very good trip thanks Kenny. Visited one of our suppliers in Salt Lake City for the first time, really cool stuff they are doing with carbon fiber. Good steak too :)

20. SwanHills

Been to Salt Lake City once, en-route southwards by bus to, where was it, Scottsdale, Arizona, I think. As you can imagine, a fantastic trip. Say, talking about beer tried this one for the first time yesterday, can't figure out why had I never tried it before. Sure you know of it, but it is a very good ale. Hofbräuhaus own the Tegernsee Brewery too, of course:

Capture.PNGHellesVollbier.PNG

redcgull and bayernkenny like this.