1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Bring back Wimpy!

Chaninbar likes this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Cyc mate, how well do you know Sydney? I am going to be down there with the family for Christmas and New Year and am looking for some advice on the best area to stay in (looking on AirBnB and favouring beach areas at the moment, found a ****ing tree house close to Manly which looks really sweet). I know its a fair old poke from where you are but if you have any info it would be much appreciated <ok>

3. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

I wish I could help you Oddy, but I barely know the place. Besides, us Queenslanders don't associate with those bastards below the border. <laugh>

Chaninbar and bayernkenny like this.
  4. OddDog

Staff Member

Too ****ing right my friend. At least they sell VB though so fair play to em <laugh> <cheers>

Cyclonic likes this.
  5. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Now you're talking, nothing wrong with a Wimpy.

6. rainermariarilke

rainermariarilke Well-Known Member

Odddy/Chan/others: I understand what you're saying, and wouldn't disagree, but....there's usually collateral damage in these situations. I've always understood that, apart from a handful of flagship restaurants, about 99% of KFC UK outlets are franchises, run by individuals or families who, effectively, carry all the downside risks. About thirty years ago I cast a semi-professional eye over a KFC franchise-contract for the friend of a friend and - take my word - it was as one-sided as it's legally possible to get without being void for abuse of a dominant position. Obviously, it's a basic requirement that KFC would be required to compensate franchisees when, as here, they (KFC) can't or won't deliver the stock-in-trade: but the compensation is (or certainly used to be) on the minimal side of notverymuch. My guess is that the poor sods who run the outlets - open all hours,and now closed all hours - are going to have a miserable few weeks. I see that KFC are urging staff to take their holidays during 'this challenging period' - a few days at Skegness in February would really set you up.

Chaninbar likes this.
  7. stick

stick Bumper King

I probably know it better than he does! LOL

Cyclonic likes this.
  8. stick

stick Bumper King

When I have stayed it has been at friends houses. I would recommend Coogee and Maroubra on the South side. Both have excellent links into the town centre and fabulous beeches of their own. The cliff walk from Maroubra to Bondi is a really good trek and you see some great sights.
    Coogee has the added delights of Randwick Racetrack and The Coogee Bay Hotel which is reputed to be the largest drinking establishment in the Southern Hemisphere.
    I would imagine Manly is very expensive. Its a beautiful spot with a wonderful beech and you can get the ferry across to Sydney Harbour. There is a short walk through expensive shops from the ferry landing to the beech as well as cafes and bars. The wife has an Aunt with an apartment overlooking Manly beech of which I am very jealous.

9. OddDog

Staff Member

Ah great thanks Stick. From what I’ve seen so far the CBD is very expensive so won’t be stopping there. Have a colleague from work who lives South of the city so will get his views too. Thanks again <ok>

stick likes this.
  10. Chaninbar

Good point well made Rainer. To be honest though if the franchise owner is any good I'd expect them to make a decent return on KFC, McD, BK, Subway et al franchises in the UK as we seem to be increasingly addicted to it as a nation. My 6 year old lad views a trip to the Golden Arches as the ultimate treat. I put it down to ****e parenting.

stick likes this.

11. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

12. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Damned if I will put Rugby Union in 'Other Sport', and I also know that I could sail into stormy waters here, but this is truly disgusting. It just seems in sport nowadays that there are more than a few individuals who cannot behave like decent human beings, even when their country has won something. Gavin Hastings and that other twat should be more responsible with their stupid comments?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/43235314

Eddie, you have done a hell of a job for English Rugby Union (after being absolutely on the floor 4-years ago) and we are grateful and proud of you. Take no notice of them, as I am sure you won't, even though this must have been a distressing experience.

Au revoir!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Cyclonic likes this.
  13. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

14. Chaninbar

Poor form. To be honest although they gave us a good walloping the lack of respect for the opposition kicker suggested that a fair number of the Murrayfield crowd were bused in from Hampden Park. Made no odds to the outcome as I don't think Farrell missed one but poor form nonetheless.

15. Chaninbar

And Gavin Hastings is an absolute bell end. He turned up to England - Aus final in the early 90s wearing an Aussie scarf. How he got made lions captain after that beggars belief. He probably still has nightmares about that shanked penalty against us which cost Scotland the match.

16. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Yep, we got a good walloping alright. However, it is surely a good thing to be able to win like civilized humans too? The round-ball game, well that wouldn't surprise me, it's got more than its fair share of moronic fans, but Rugby, this is something of a surprise? Guess I'm behind the times, as usual. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

17. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

I was watching a special edition of the old grey whistle test the other night and instantly loved this song by Gary Numan and his daughter called My Name is Ruin.Great performance by both Gary and Persia!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  18. OddDog

Staff Member

Definitely be used in Mad Max 5 <ok>

Ste D likes this.
  19. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

That girl is only 12, some talent to sing that live.Defo has the mad max vibe Oddy!! Like the little nudge from Gary at the start 'Don't worry you will be grand girl'

20. Chaninbar

Staggering to see Bradley Wiggins having to defend himself.......... sporting what I can only describe as a man bob. A truly bizarre piece of barbering.