1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

One of my favourite ever songs ever.Great duet with Mr Frank Black in top form.

redcgull, redcat1 and bayernkenny like this.
  2. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Feel inspired to treat myself to a blast of Pixies once the rugby has finished!

Ste D likes this.
  3. redcat1

redcat1 Well-Known Member

YES @Ste D love this song. Ends my favourite film perfectly

Ste D likes this.
  4. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Horrible news about the likely loss of Argentina's sub ARA San Juan. The German built , diesel-electric sub entered service in 1985. Since ARA San Juan went missing last Wednesday, hopes are now beginning to fade for the 44 sailors aboard her.
    please log in to view this image

5. Cyclonic

6. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

“I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here” announce the new Camp PM and Deputy.
    A snip at just 500 trillion Zimbabwe dollars but very well camouflaged...

please log in to view this image

7. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Somebody texted in a classic to BBC Radio Five Live this morning:

“Can we shut up about the Royal Wedding now? A man on benefits is marrying a minor Hollywood celebrity – get over it!”

Whilst applauding the sentiment, she is not Hollywood and he gets a little more than Universal Credit. The BBC have already done to death the mixed ethnicity angle of the bride-to-be, including an excessive debate on Newsnight with three mixed race ladies. They should try looking in their history books as she will not be the first – mad George III’s consort Queen Charlotte was descended from an African woman.

No word on whether the text came from a man in Islington...

8. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The happy couple made the German news this morning - an extended report of around 6 minutes <ok>

9. bayernkenny

I remain single and off the demon drink; no mention of these facts on local or national news!

10. Cyclonic

The royal wedding, you bloody bewdy. Can't wait. <party>

11. Cyclonic

I'm on the blower to Chilla as we speak, trying to get a double pass to the nuptials. Now if I can only find me corked hat and evening pluggers.

12. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

A few years back I posted on here how it annoyed me that people used the word epicentre wrongly. Its misuse is almost endemic today.

A word usage that is getting on my tits at the moment is synchronicity. I think the problem is it sounds as if it should mean something but as we know a little knowledge can be dangerous. Just the other day when Meghan Merkel was announced as Harry's future wife the BBC announcer interviewed another current American Viscountess and introduced her with the words 'with helpful synchronicity we have another american born wife....'. Trying to be clever I suppose by using an obscure word instead of the perfectly sensible and correct word coincidence.

I suppose the synchro part makes people think it means at the same time, and it does to some extent but it doesn't mean synchronicity means what they think it means. It is a much more complex word. I believe the first person to use this word was Jung. He applied it to the situation where you are told something or see something and say to yourself 'i only heard that the other day'. Being Jung he took the word a bit further though and defined Synchronicity as encountering something because you are going to encounter it in the future: which I'm sure you'll agree is a much more cooler concept.

So another word will crawl towards the dustbin of dumb misuse. Strangely enough Nick Knowles used it correctly on the radio the other day and I'm sure the Police knew what they were singing about. But the sheep are ready to be dumb.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    OddDog and SwanHills like this.
  13. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I watch quite a lot of these "flight review" videos on YouTube. Mostly luxurious trips in first or business class, but this one caught my eye as it had the title "worst flight of the year". So I watched it and am left thinking "what a pampered ****". This guy paid 95 quid to fly from Birmingham to Cluj and they forgot to load his meal. I mean, FFS he had already eaten in the lounge at Birmingham, and why the hell would you pay for an in-flight meal with a budget airline anyway. But think about it - 95 quid from Birmingham to Cluj. That is so cheap it beggers belief.

I just heard a report on the news about Ryanair pilots going on strike. I wasn't aware of the conditions they are working under - they have no direct contract with Ryanair, the pilots have to form their own company and contract through a broker to offer their services to Ryanair. They have no job security, their arrangement can be terminated from one day to the next. They can be told their base is changing to a different country with just a few weeks notice. If they don't work they don't get paid (sickness, maternity, whatever the reason may be). Unscrupulous bastards the O'Learys and I hope this strike brings them to their knees. Oh yeah, and **** Ryanair, I'll never fly with the ****s again.

Ste D and bayernkenny like this.
  14. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Don't argue with the Devil - he's much more intelligent than us, says Pope Francis

He is certainly smarter than followers of the Roman Catholic church, an ultra-rich global corporation that advocates unrestricted procreation to billions of poor believers.

For Christ’s sake, human nature leads us into temptation you numpty just like it makes billions gullible enough to listen to a crusty old celibate.

In this case, evil is probably a Roman Catholic paedophile wearing the robes of church office.

15. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Just shut your trap for once in your life, QMII, you are an atheist, just leave it at that. Don't upset people who have a Faith and happen to believe in it. The majority of them do not hurl insults like that at you.

16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

It does not require an atheist to spot the head of the Roman Catholic church talking absolute tripe about the Devil being disguised as an angel. It does not require one to point out the incredible wealth that it owns whilst most of the global flock live in poverty; and the paedophilic behaviour of senior members of the organisation going unchecked.

It is alright for Roman Catholic priests to be tempted into paedophilia by Satan so long as the Roman Catholic church does nothing about cleaning up its own house but blame the Devil.

17. SwanHills

3rd Test in Perth - Tail did not wag for England, unfortunately.............:emoticon-0101-sadsm

18. bayernkenny

Third test on BT Sport at the moment; wee gander before visit to see my Mum in care home.

Big moment!

19. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Same old story. Massive credit to Malan and Bairstiw for digging us out of a hole on day 1 but pathetic from 7-11. Smith just shown how easy he finds playing our attack on this pitch.

20. SwanHills

Yes, fine performances by both Malan and Bairstow. I did not put it very eloquently and should have mentioned this, but was disappointed with the tail-enders, especially Moeen's duck!

Chaninbar likes this.