1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Haven't seen a single ball of this match but I suspect they've been undone by the ball doing a bit. Your modern day crash bang wallop merchant expects to stride to the crease with his 3.5 lb bat and slog 6s off the inside edge.

2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Me neither Chan but it sounds like they have been comprehensively outplayed all day. South Africa with a slight wobble at 99-2 but they only need another 55 to win.

This was Michael Vaughan's view at 28-6: "So far, they've played dumb cricket today. They've all got out playing the same kind of strokes. Now and again, you just need a reminder, as a team. It's not going to cost them much but you just hope it doesn't affect them going into the tournament."

Chaninbar likes this.
  3. Chaninbar

When Vaughan says dumb cricket he means one dimensional. Our players should know how to play English conditions. Still I'm sure the captain will 'take the positives' from the result though not sure what they are exactly - nice Lords lunch perhaps.

4. Chaninbar

Meanwhile Sangarakara is 79 not out going for his 6th consecutive century for Surrey. Pure class.

5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I know it was a dead rubber (England had already won the three-match series) but the punters at Lords’ had paid their money to see a cricket match so this was a disgrace.

England chose to play a couple of debutants – one of whom ended up second top scorer – but the top order were truly dreadful throwing wickets away to get to 20-6 leaving Bairstow to top-score on 51.

This game just affirmed that punters should not be backing England to win the ICC Trophy because they always manage to put in a bad one. Now might be the time to get your bets on Bangladesh to beat England in the first match on Thursday 1st June. Given that we are in the same group as the Aussies and the Kiwis, our last match may be 10th June at Edgbaston as after that is the semi-finals.

6. OddDog

Staff Member

Annoys me that Yorkshire have been without Bairstow all season as the ECB told him to rest in order to be fit for the summer for England. What a joke, he's hardly played for months.

7. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

"When people ask me if Dean Martin drank, let me put it this way. If Dracula bit Dean in the neck,
    he'd get a Bloody Mary. "
    Red Buttons

I think Deano used to put it on half the time? However, in doing so he could be quite funny.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  8. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Former WBA, WBC & IBF World Super Middleweight Champion Carl Froch's girlfriend/wife Rachael Cordingley. Is it any wonder why he retired from boxing? :)

please log in to view this image

Ste D, Chaninbar and Ron like this.
  9. Cyclonic

10. OddDog

Staff Member

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't understand that at all Cyc. She told him to keep it up

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Arsenal have offered Sanchez £250k a week to stay. FFS. When I was younger I didn't entertain the idea of professional football because the pay was crap and for people who weren't clever enough to do anything else <doh>

13. Cyclonic

14. SwanHills

First time I've shed a tear with all this terror, Cyc, I am ashamed to say. Only found out quite late. The Borough is where I lived the first 12-years of my life. It's all too much.
    <rose>

Cyclonic likes this.
  15. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

In case anyone was in any doubt, we are at war with these evil bastards.

Chaninbar, beeforsalmon and SwanHills like this.
  16. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Shocking news I used to do a lot of work round London Bridge/ borough. I was there recently for a night out.

17. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Horrific scenes again, as Florida says time to get serious. Have the government the balls to use the SAS like they did to do some nice jobs over here in Loughgall etc Doing nothing clearly isn't working.

smokethedeadbadger and Chaninbar like this.
  18. OddDog

Staff Member

Agree wholeheartedly with Florida and Beefy. There will be the usual outpouring of grief, shock and condemnation from the politicians but surely they need to come up with an action plan to sniff out these bastards and "terminate with extreme prejudice" (as spoken by a young Harrison Ford in Apocalypse Now). Doing nothing (again) opens up the serious risk of mob justice. And where would that leave us? The Guardian and Independent would be up in arms <doh>

Today in Berlin is the street parade "Karneval der Kulturen" - carnival of the cultures. Something akin to the Notting Hill festival. Thousands upon thousands of people along the route with very little security planning - a perfect terrorist target. I'm going nowhere near it. Fortunately it is pissing down and will be all day, so that will impact attendance.

19. SwanHills

I am out of this conversation once and for all, but before I do, will stick in my final 'two pennyworth'. I do take into account my age, and the fact that our two kids are grown-up, but anyway.......

Living where I do, there is no doubt at all in my mind that Chancellor Merkel and Co. must bear a lot of responsibility for much of this. She let hundreds of thousands of them in during late 2015, early 2016, ignoring the call for border controls. Saw much of it with my own eyes. There were probably scores of really bad ones amongst them, who spread themselves all over north and west Europe, and look what has happened and is happening. Seehofer and his CSU talked a lot, threatened, and in the end did nothing. The EU was its usual ineffective self in crisis situations.

Again, to think she is almost certain to get in again due to the absence of any sort of opposition. Days of utter despair, but we must fight on, regardless of the utter ineptitude of many politicians in this part of the planet. They have badly let down the police who are doing their best to protect us, the military, the intelligence people, and their fellow citizens.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  20. Chaninbar

Truly awful news from London but shouldn't be surprised really when there's 3k folk living amongst us with this intent and further 20k sympathetic to that way of thinking. Theresa May says enough is enough. What was different about this attack from Manchester or Westminster which tipped her over the edge? Might it be that she spotted an opportunity to salvage something from her car crash of an election campaign? Suggest she's going to get tough but in very general terms, then ridicule her opposite number for being soft. Gets back into No. 10 and then does **** all. Fully appreciate that is a very cynical view.