1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Cultural appropriation at its worst

SwanHills and Bustino74 like this.
  2. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

QM, you’d better ask Pilgrim (Father). You might get 6 places on that one! <laugh>

SwanHills and Bustino74 like this.
  3. QuarterMoonIII

QuarterMoonIII Active Member

Fair play to the folks that sell cars in Bury St Edmonds – their advert calls it the Black November Sale. That will confuse people. Is it not applicable to privileged white people?

You should try Channel 52 on Freeview: “Great! Christmas”. I reckon by the end of November you will never want to hear about Christmas ever again.

4. QuarterMoonIII

I keep seeing adverts wanting money for UNICEF.

The advert for Ukraine, Syria, Turkey and Yemen wants £32. The advert for Gaza wants £39. Do they have to pay tribute to Hamas to operate there? Since all the borders are supposedly closed just how are they delivering anything. I thought all the dolts marching around were protesting about Gaza being like a concentration camp. Amazing how they never marched in the last ten years for the Muslim children in Syria or Yemen being killed by other Muslims.

5. QuarterMoonIII

The Brain Dead Guide To Football Commentating – ITV Special

When Real Madrid score in the first five minutes against Valencia, tell the viewers that Real have only conceded two goals at home in La Liga so far this season.

Tell viewers that the next La Liga match on ITV will be showing on a future date at 7:30 but kicks off at 8:00, so they can tune in at 7:58 and avoid the pundit bullsh** and adverts. Many already did that for this match.

When Real Madrid score again five minutes before half time, start bullsh***ing about what an entertaining game it has been so far.

When Real Madrid score twice in two minutes early in the second half, prepare to be commentating to an audience of people who cannot find the remote or are too p*ssed to care for forty minutes.

6. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

It must be funny to the right wing and now have Suella Braverman as the pin up for the brand of politics and thought process that you follow. It pretty much sums up my thoughts about those people!!

At least you will all be able to tune into the jungle to watch the last but one doyen of the right Nigel Farage not only talking bollocks but probably eating them too.

The joy in that is you will be able to watch him under the guise of being a massive Frankie Dettori fan. Speaking of which, it’s good to see him going somewhere not for the money but for the experience!! <laugh>

7. QuarterMoonIII

I am sure that you meant Suella Braverman. She needs to get herself a pair of jackboots. Not far enough to the right for me. They should be chanting “From the Irish Sea to the North Sea, England will be free”. She is clearly after Rishi’s job. It is just a case of whether she gets it before the election.

Labour will probably have got rid of Dame Kelly Stormer and replaced him with the Ginger Growler so that will make neither party electable. So no change there.

As I do not watch the Jungle, I am totally indifferent to who gets paid loads of money to do it. I am not sure it would be enough money to put up with being stuck in the middle of the jungle with those two Geordie tossers that ITV pay millions to front everything.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Isn't it a shame that, with so many intelligent, thoughtful, honest, objective, forward looking people in the country, none seem to make it into politics. From my own experience of young people getting into politics, they were all people who almost certainly wouldn't have made it anywhere else, however well educated. I mean FFS isn't there anyone anywhere that would make a good PM?

9. OddDog

Staff Member

@Sir Barney Chuckles will be pleased that David Cameron is back in the cabinet. Large G and Ts all round.

redcgull likes this.
  10. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

With the sacking of Braverman are we about to see the splintering of the Conservative Party? Obviously many in the country and many in Parliament may rally around her. Is she the kind of person to rally around? I doubt it, to be a leader you need some diplomacy and she clearly lacks that in spades.
    One could look at the Labour Party and say they've seen splinters over the last 50 years, but they weren't that big a deal. Kinnock's cleansing of the party in the early '80s hardly made its mark with the electorate as he always appeared a lightweight but did lead I suppose to Blairism. However they soon turned their back on that with the advent of Corbyn. Where are they now: back to Blairism or is the Corbyn camp still there?
    Historically the greatest splinters occurred in the late Nineteenth Century. First the Liberal Unionists led by Chamberlin opposed the Liberal Party line of Home Rule for Ireland and split to the Conservatives. That's why the Tory Party is called the Conservative and Unionist Party. Suddenly after years of Liberal government the UK had a Conservative government. He then did it again after joining the Conservatives when proposing Trade tariffs and 'Empire Preference'. The Conservatives went with him though some decamped to the Liberal Party (most famously Churchill a strong free trader). The result was that we then had a weakened Liberal Party back in government. We have little to thank Chamberlin for. He probably could have been PM but preferred to stay as Minister for the Empire, as he saw that as where the power lay. Those of us born in the '40s and '50s still live with his vision of Empire. Before him most people in these Islands would have regarded Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England as the Empire: both Gladstone and Disraeli regarded 'the Empire' as a millstone around Britain's neck. Unfortunately Joe Chamberlin's dream of Empire became the accepted reality. We suddenly had an Empress of India reigning as Monarch in the UK.
    What happened then is nothing like now. Probably the Conservatives won't splinter but I think we are seeing a more insidious problem. The lies of Blair, the lies of Johnson and the lack of intelligence of Truss have tarnished government and it's authority in the country. Sure, we've had eruptions of discontent before but in the end the people will speak and we may lose more than we gain. Discontent in this country has never been higher.

SwanHills, redcgull and OddDog like this.

11. OddDog

Staff Member

I think both the Conservatives and Labour Party suffer from 2 things - (1) A complete dearth of talent entering politics (this by no means limited to the UK) and (2) a failure to implement policies that are for the "general good of most people". Putting it bluntly (and I realise there are nuances) the Tories seem only to care about the wealthy whereas the Labour Party seem only to care about minorities. Neither party seems to care about those hard working people who are the backbone of the country - which is crazy because they are also the majority of voters (approx 32.8 million people work in the UK). Implementing legislation to help the majority of those people to be in a better position must surely be the starting point for any political agenda of any party?

SwanHills, redcgull and Bustino74 like this.
  12. Bustino74

I think they also lack integrity and principles (mainly honesty).

SwanHills and OddDog like this.
  13. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

You’ve obviously never watched. A fine balance of left and right views, unlike the rest of the msm.

14. NassauBoard

<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

Chaninbar likes this.
  15. stick

stick Bumper King

3) The primary reason for them being in the job is to feather their own nests and the nests of their immediate as well as extended family. Its not a well paid job but those near the top with influence have the possibility to make unthinkable amounts of money.

floridaspearl likes this.
  16. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Another sheep lapping up the wef propaganda on the msm.

17. NassauBoard

<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

rudebwoy and Chaninbar like this.
  18. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

The sacking of Braverman is surely Sunak’s self immolation on the Tories’ pyre.
    Undermining his authority wanes into insignificance when compared with yet another example of complete disregard for.the majority’s wishes- as vociferously expressed by Braverman.
    Sacking her was a bad move because its effect will be to alienate people further and confirm that the Tories are a disjointed group of incompetents.
    Furthermore, bringing back Cameron will only create more division within the Party- with more hardened right wingers remembering Cameron’s wish to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands- and then admitting later that he had no idea how many immigrants were coming into the UK. He did nothing about it either!
    I see no hope for the Tories at the next general election, but I’ve never trusted Labour to handle the economy.
    For the very first time, I may not vote next year.
    Dark days ahead, I fear.

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But has she been sacked?

Edit: Based on a stupid headline that said she hadn't been, making me think Sunak had done a U turn

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  20. Bustino74

Yes it sometimes seems so. But it wasn't always so. I can't believe Michael Foot, Iain Macleod or Enoch Powell looked to feather their own nests. In fact the latter thought it so wrong that MPs set their own salaries that he never accepted a rise between elections. For him only his constituents could OK his salary.

Tamerlo and stick like this.