1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

The Dutch Prime Minister, on welcoming Zelenski's visit and giving his and Belgium's full support, just might have been a bit 'shaky' on his WW2 history, or maybe it's me who's a bit 'shaky', that's indeed possible. However, I could have sworn that Ukraine were basically pro-Nazi during WW2, and that some of the worst and the most cruel conecentration camp guards were Ukrainian? Not just in the well-known ones, but these security guards were employed all over the place in, especially, northern Germany. Again, maybe it's me who's way off course, as I will admit to being no expert on WW2,

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

What is the relevance of WW2?

3. SwanHills

Listen to the Dutch Prime Minister, his country went through hell in WW2, just felt his accolades on Ukraine bore questioning. If you think they were irrelevant, then so be it. Just thought I'd mention it, EOS, as far as I'm concerned.

4. NassauBoard

I asked ChatGPT to explain the link between the two nations -

Belgium and Ukraine have some historical links, although they are not as strong as the ties between Ukraine and some other European countries.

During the 19th century, Ukraine was part of the Russian Empire, and Belgium was an independent country. However, Belgium did have some trade and cultural ties with Ukraine during this time, as Belgian merchants and industrialists traded with Ukraine and invested in various projects there. In addition, some Ukrainian artists and intellectuals visited Belgium and were influenced by Belgian culture.

During the Soviet era, Belgium maintained diplomatic relations with the Soviet Union, of which Ukraine was a part. After the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, Belgium recognized Ukraine as an independent state and established diplomatic relations with it.

In recent years, the ties between Belgium and Ukraine have strengthened, particularly in the areas of trade and investment. Belgium is one of Ukraine's top trading partners in the European Union, and many Belgian companies have invested in Ukraine. In addition, there is a small but active Ukrainian community in Belgium, and cultural exchange programs between the two countries have increased in recent years.

---------------

I guess the latter paragraph is key, and perhaps looking back at history, whilst important, isn't as important as dealing with the present?

redcgull likes this.
  5. SwanHills

Agree with last comment, the 'present' is most certainly more iimportant than the past. Thank you for the excellent explanations from ChatGPT. Very interesting indeed. Thanks again!

6. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

I think Swannie was just inferring that Ukraine may not be the “goody two shoes” people tend to assume.
    But then again, which nation is?

floridaspearl and SaveTheHumans like this.
  7. NassauBoard

That is what I didn't get with the WW2 bit, there are probably plenty of things happened in Ukraine in the last decade that would be worth looking at, rather than history from 80 years ago. I agree too, I don't think anyone, especially the UK should throw stones with the way our country and others are dealing with global geopolitics. It's thoroughly depressing to think what a state our politics and moral compass is in.

redcgull, SwanHills and Tamerlo like this.
  8. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I always thought Ukraine was invaded by the Nazis and they conscripted locals (some more willing than others) to round up the local jews and gypsies and liquidate them. Not sure there was any kind of "National Ukranian ethos" behind it.

floridaspearl likes this.
  9. SwanHills

One hell of a lot were 'conscripted', that's a fact. Funnily enough, I came across loads of people of Ukrainiian descent during my 8-years in Alberta, Canada, in the late 50's and 60's. Basically a Scottish/Ukrainian city in those days, the Scottish were first there and called it Fort Edmonton. The Ukranians arrived around 1903 (to escape the 'pogroms' against them in Russia). The migrants helped very much in completing the Canadian Pacific and Canadian National Railway construction work. But that's another story!

OddDog likes this.
  10. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

the pogroms or extermination of working class jews throughout eastern europe in 1903 were across many countries , my dads family were fleeing from both romania and lithuania and met up in manchester ......just ordinary people who had two choices run or die .

redcgull and SwanHills like this.

11. SwanHills

12. NassauBoard

Everyone is, but it’s like worrying about shutting the gate after all the horses have not only fled the stables but also the farm and the county.

13. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Not much has changed.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As soon as my wife goes out I'm muting the TV. All I can hear is ritual like noises and one after another reading something from a book. Then I saw a circle of 4 men and 4 women doing a silly dance; and they were all black. Surely there should have been one white person included. I'm not anti royalist but this is just painful

15. NassauBoard

**** sake Ron

16. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Not anti royalist, just racist then

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

FFS, tongue in cheek. Weird conclusion anyway

18. floridaspearl

Don’t worry Ron if you don’t follow the left’s narrative they want you cancelled. It’s why I rarely post anymore. It’s meant to be a forum.

Ron likes this.
  19. floridaspearl

no mention of a democratically elected government deposed and replaced by a CIA stooge.

20. NassauBoard

Perhaps it doesn’t watch GB News