1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

The man who accuses others of having the memory span of a goldfish cannot remember FACTS that have been posted numerous times over the last six months. The thread may have been deleted but the FACTS still remain.

The head of the NHS, Sir Simon Stevens, ordered all NHS trusts to get rid of their bed blockers (geriatrics) to care homes to create free bed space for the plague victims. In many areas, the NHS did not bother to test their bed blockers for coronavirus and sent them to care homes to spread the plague to thousands of vulnerable people, causing at least 16,000 deaths (if you can believe that they all died FROM it or WITH it).

No word yet on the Care Quality Commission investigation into the NHS for breaking its own rules and procedures. No doubt that will have been shelved for release on some future date when something else is making all the headlines as the Holy Grail of the NHS is beyond reproach.

You must be seething in your Covid Cave now that news has leaked out that chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance has £600k of shares in GlaxoSmithKline that is being given taxpayers’ money to try and develop a vaccine.

2. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Sorry but I can say that there is no reason to believe that it will work. Coronavirus does not start at 10pm and work the night shift. You are no more likely to get it at 11pm than 9pm in a pub. If you close the socially distanced pubs at 10pm and people then go home with their friends and stop social distancing, their chances surely increase. I doubt very much that the government are looking at Belgium for a model. We could have followed the Swedish model and had no lockdown at all.

You accuse me of having no evidence when I give a patently obvious reason why this measure will not work and the obvious result that it will have on the hospitality industry; and then you make an unevidenced conclusion about influenza: “A large number of people die from influenza because they don't want to bother with the vaccination.”

Let me help you out with a straight FACT that nobody can contest: more people die in the winter months (of anything) than at any other time of year – the excess winter mortality index is reported annually by the ONS. The biggest single excess killer is pneumonia. Influenza must be a lot more fatal that coronavirus because according to government statistics, 71 per cent of over 65s were given the vaccine in England but the annual death toll is still five figures. Nobody has been given any coronavirus vaccine and the death toll is five figures with 245 per cent more potential victims.

I am astonished that you are lecturing me about there being no vaccine for coronavirus. Do you have the same goldfish memory as Steveo? I have been saying for months that there is NO vaccine, there is NO vaccine for SARS (older sister of Covid-19) after seventeen years of research and, therefore, there is no logical reason to be sat around expecting one to suddenly show up just because they are working in a laboratory in Oxford rather than some backwater in the Far East where they obviously use powdered rhino horn not science.

3. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

4. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Ahhh slight change in what you are saying....in your earlier post you stated and I quote 'Shutting the pubs at 10pm makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. It is total bollocks'. Whereas now you say you can state there is no reason to BELIEVE it will work. That change I can accept because it is what you believe. As I said you had no evidence it would not work so had to pick up on what you quoted in your earlier post.

Of course more people die in the winter this is obvious which is why I was pointing out we are yet to go through winter with coronavirus.

I was making a general point about people comparing influenza with Covid 19. One has a vaccine and one does not and personally I don't think it is sensible to compare the two and say what's the big deal?

No point getting on to statistics with you cause we can use that in whatever way we like to paint our picture as we see it..

5. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

We hit 6,000 cases yesterday, France had 16,000. France has a similar population to the UK but is about twice the size so population density should be less of a problem there.
    I'm quarantining after 3 weeks in a red zone in France. The village I was in has seen hardly any deaths and very few cases. The locals say there is no covid in the village but anyway behave relatively sensibly. Masks everywhere and distancing but a few can't give up on their kisses (even if they are more air kisses at the moment). The harvest had to be got in and how they were going to sell it was more of a problem.
    They are in a Red Zone because of a couple of populated areas, Beziers and especially Cap d'Agde. This resort is famous for its naturist beaches though it isn't getting your kit off that is causing the major problem. It's the transfer of body fluids (from part of this naturist group and others) that is subsequently taking place that is causing covid to run rampant.
    Is that being selfish and irresponsible? Well I think so but people have choices. I think their choices are undeniably wrong and causing harm to innocent people they coincidentally meet at other times. The same is happening in pockets in the UK. I think they are being incredibly selfish to participate in one activity or another, disregarding the rest of their possible contacts. What I find surprising is that it is those people who have most to lose who are most ready to be unreasonable.
    Being selfish, being unreasonable and being irresponsible are the major causes of outbreaks nearly everywhere in my opinion. It's very hard to legislate for people like these. We get what we deserve, except now it's not individuals getting their desserts but bodies of innocent people that are being affected.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    SwanHills, Ron, Cyclonic and 2 others like this.
  6. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

I agree Bustino. Even Boris said so but used a pc term and called it something like the Brits like their freedom too much instead of calling as you have.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  7. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

My position has not changed at all. Closing the pubs at 10pm is still completely pointless. In doing so, the government did not assign any logical reason for their action. One of those idiots at SAGE has probably suggested it because some idiot politician proposed it so it immediately became policy with no explanation. It is still total bollocks, for the reasons that I stated.

I do not know when you count as winter but I think that you find that February and March are winter, so we have had part of a winter with coronavirus; and it originated in the Far East in November/December 2019. The reason that it is perceived that coronavirus will spread more readily in winter is because people stay indoors when it is cold, in close proximity.

8. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

you really are incredibly stupid.
    Yes obviously the order came from the Head of the NHS but he was only acting on orders from the government.
    Do you really think that the NHS are going to start telling the government what to do ?

A plan on March 17th told NHS hospitals that "timely discharge" was important - and told care homes to accept patients who had not even been tested for coronavirus. This was reported in the Telegraph which I assume is an acceptable paper for you.

this is just one of the many poor decisions made by the government - the biggest of course is the failure to implement a successful test and trace system, and which will ultimately mean a return to full lockdown for many before the winter is out.

9. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Your goldfish memory at work again. I posted the actual letter from Sir Simon Stevens on the coronavirus thread – he runs the NHS and has been there for years. Nowhere in the 17 pages of it does it mention discharging patients to care homes without testing them for coronavirus but why let the FACTS get in your way? Had he told them to break NHS procedures, I think somebody would have noticed and he would have been sacked by now.

You really are a perfect example of the utter stupidity of the Left. No matter how often they are given the FACTS they refuse to accept them. Yet more of your “blame the Tories” broken record. Why do you not just start a thread by that name on the General Chat forum so that you sad losers can all post your fantasies and award each other loads of likes?

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not referring to any posts here, but to the accusations flying around from the EU. An old proverb springs to mind: "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"

11. Bustino74

Yesterday a policeman was shot in a Police Station. The first BBC 'story' carried a quote from a counsellor, a certain religious person, who was quoted as saying something like I was in the centre a few hours before and my thoughts are not only with the victim but the perpetrator, there has been a lot of bad feeling in the area.
    Now I'm sorry but I'd have thought his/her first thoughts might have been something like this is tragic and why was this man carrying a gun?
    A couple of comments. First, sometimes the religious community does itself no favours in situations like this and should keep its thoughts to itself. Second, why has the BBC withdrawn that story? It usually keeps up all threads as the story develops.
    Sorry I'm vague on parts of this but I read it at about lunchtime yesterday and can't check the story after the BBC's withdrawal. (look on the BBC website, you can't read any report older than 13 hours ago).
    Post truth

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  12. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

The latest I can find is from the Evening Standard via the Microsoft News opener on my PC. From this newspaper about 1-hour or so ago apparently. Strange business with the BBC though.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/crim...ver-custody-killing/ar-BB19rnd1?ocid=msedgdhp

13. Bustino74

Ron, can you elaborate? You must be reading/seeing something that I and maybe others are not.

14. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

<laugh>

Facts? Since when do you care about facts?

15. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

I'd better save one for the snowman at Xmas...?!?!? <laugh><laugh><laugh>

16. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Come on red its 2020. Its snow man/woman/person/thing/non binary/gender fluid. Also snow might be a bit racist now, its too white, we might have to change its name to something more culturally appropriate

redcgull and Ron like this.
  17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nothing new Bustino. But mal's post here might help

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

19. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I should have posted that about the carrots on the daily thread - I remember Sir Barney would only ever give the beef stew for lunch a maximum 9/10 as the carrots were always sliced too thickly <laugh> I actually thought about that when slicing the carrots and it made me laugh <ok>

redcgull likes this.
  20. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach