1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

well I’m hoping but we have to be realistic here

2. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

There are loads of American sports teams that have politically incorrect names. Baseball’s Cleveland Indians as well as the Atlanta Braves. The San Diego Padres will be taking a knee to pray that the church does not object. No objections yet from Scandinavia about the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings, perhaps because of where so many Scandinavian immigrants set up home.

College Football has lots of animal names like the Tigers, Wildcats, Beavers and Terrapins but the Florida State Seminoles will definitely not be changing their name because they have permission to use it from the Seminole Nation, where the University is based. The Nation even has its own laws and governance.

3. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

The Dixie Chicks are not as young as they were when I bought some of their CDs but I think they are working on a new album after at least a decade. When they were big enough that they even visited these shores back in the 90s, one of them said something anti-Iraq War when they played London and half the radio stations in the US stopped playing their records.

I wonder if the Mason-Dixon Line will just become The Line. The original purpose of it was nothing to do with slavery but it did eventually symbolise the border between the free states of the North and the slavery states of Dixie (the South).

4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I’m just re-watching Deadwood with the wife - lots of ****ing, cocksuckers, **** and niggers <ok>

5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Still living in the fantasy world...

You do not have to wear a mask on Friday. You need a face covering. So some Muslim women should be okay, as I will be with a scarf.

As it has already been widely publicised that the police will not be policing this I expect virtually no £100 fines will be issued. The Association of Convenience Stores has told its members not to waste their time enforcing the restriction, so it will probably be widely flouted. Go to the corner shop in some leafy village and there will be no masks.

You can wear a mask for a couple of years but you will stand out. When I went for a walk to the shops on Tuesday lunchtime, I saw precisely three people in masks: three young oriental women. I wondered if they were visitors or immigrants from a culture where wearing masks is quite commonplace because their countries are plagued by aerosol viruses and poor air quality from pollution.

In your fantasy world of the ‘new normal’, life will be very different. The vast majority of people will be going back to the original ‘normal’ once social distancing has been completely abandoned. If social distancing in London means only four people to a lift, how long is it going to take for everyone to get to their office in a 20-storey tower on Canary Wharf? All those people thinking that working from home is going to be the ‘new normal’ and it will be fantastic had better get back from their fantasy world because they can be replaced with cheaper people working from home in Poland or India, so their ‘new normal’ will be unemployment.

6. OddDog

Staff Member

Everyone “masked up” here in Berlin in all shops and public transport. The new normal I think (and to be honest it isn’t much of an effort).

SwanHills likes this.
  7. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Hear, hear! It really isn't much of an effort. Don't know what all the fuss is about? :bandit:

OddDog likes this.
  8. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

For me it's not about how much effort it takes or how I'd look in a mask. I couldn't care less how I look. It isn't even a matter of if I believe they work. For me it's just another sign of how soft and fragile the world has become. And how much our leaders pander to the pathetic. It makes me sad to think that if this does become the norm then my kids will have to grow up wearing face masks all of the time. Playing at school or out with friends in face masks, interacting with people wearing face masks. The virus will be around for a while it'll just become part of our daily life, we'll get used to it like the flu or that noroviris thing that everyone catches at christmas. If it was really as contagious as they claim then everyone would still be locked down. They wouldn't be using public transport, they wouldn't have reduced the social distancing, they wouldn't have waited 2 weeks from announcing it to enforce wearing of face masks. They wouldn't have allowed children back into school, I could go on and on. Boris is a complete buffoon, I'm as embarrassed having him as my Prime Minister as Americans should be having Trump but it's not just him making the decisions and despite what some people believe he doesn't want to kill off half the population. He wants the public to support him and the publics opinion is being led by the media reporting of it. The press want face masks and the pressure mounts on the government to enforce face masks. There'll be no correlation between the wearing of face masks and the reduction in the number of cases but if there's a drop in cases on Saturday, you just know the press will be all over it

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  9. OddDog

Staff Member

Dunno Smokey, I can’t help thinking we are venturing into the unknown a little bit and if the small effort of wearing a face mask helps for a while then I see no reason not to do it. Especially if you are around old people.

smokethedeadbadger and SwanHills like this.
  10. smokethedeadbadger

I agree with that. If it even marginally reduces the risk then wear it round those that are vulnerable or I don't even mind the fact it's used on public transport that's a good idea. Its not always possible to social distance and its a very confined space. But my issue is that they tell us we can catch the virus from surfaces and objects so what use is a mask in a supermarket for example when 20 people before you might have picked up a melon say to test it or a loaf of bread to check the sell by date before putting them back. Someone could wear a face mask but hasn't washed their hands. So it all seems a little pointless. I don't think they're neccesasy everywhere which is sort of backed up by the fact that shop workers themselves don't actually have to wear a mask. One of the most likely places a virus will spread is a pub but you don't have to wear a mask.

11. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

Pubs, bars and restaurants no mask

what's the point

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  12. rainermariarilke

rainermariarilke Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing with anything you say, Redcg, but I'd like to remove any suggestion that the Dixie Chicks are - or were - nonentities. I'm a considerable fan, they've sold squillions of records, and lead singer Natalie Maines can stand comparison with any country female-artist ever. I don't have chapter and verse here, but I think their name originated from a Little Feat song called 'I'll be your Dixie chicken if you'll be my Tennessee lamb', which I'm happy to say was full of sexual innuendo. But you're right - this change looks like simple-minded virtue-signalling, and I'll be having a word with Natalie when I next see her.

13. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

its because the UK public these days are an entitled spoilt rabble.
    It is all me me me with no thought given to anyone else.

a good thing Hitler isn’t trying to invade these days.
    Blackout ? Oh no not doing that .

He would walk straight in these days.

14. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

bcause there are (or should be) social distancing measures in place in them.
    Less easy to socially distance in the aisles of a supermarket though.

15. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

I've watched some clips of Mike Tyson working the pads, and I'm not impressed. Not so much with Iron Mike's power, but with the film itself. It looks as though short bits of film have been woven together to give the impression that the old Tyson has reemerged. The 54 year old man hasn't been in the ring in 15 years so it's hard to believe that he can be anything like the prime Tyson. Especially as his latter fights showed him to be far from the man he used to be. But I wish both Tyson and Holyfield all the best.

As a side note, I noted with interest that Bernard Hopkins reckons Iron Mike can become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. For mine, he has two chances ... Buckley's and none.

16. smokethedeadbadger

I don't want to see him back in the ring and agree about the videos. Cleverly edited to give a good impression. However with this current crop of ****e we have at heavyweight a Tyson operating at 25% could mop up. I don't want to see him try at his age. It would be terrible for the sport but we currently have one of the weakest heavyweight divisions in its history.

Cyclonic likes this.
  17. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

#9235/#9236 - Now, you two, wrong thread, back you go! <laugh>

smokethedeadbadger and Cyclonic like this.
  18. stick

stick Bumper King

Do any of us seriously give a crap regarding the she said, who said Rooney/Vardy pantomime. Front page news!

19. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

A bit like the Depp story running the last week, who cares?

stick likes this.
  20. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Tyson is not going to fight for real that is media bullshit. It is a trial to see if there is a market for the likes of him, Holyfield, Lewis and a few other legends going on a legends tour doing these exhibitions. See if it sells. Problem is the public want KOs.
    These guys can get fit and do the rounds but fighting for real is another ball game. Nobody even now on the planet will be better than Tyson on the pads and the heavybag. Teddy Atlas got interviewed and said as much himself but when someone is hitting you back at 54 its another world.

Cyclonic likes this.