1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

This "bug" is going crazy. According to Johns Hopkins, as of yesterday, the global count has topped 14 million with the death count at 600,665. This came after a record 252,500 cases were confirmed on Thursday. Experts are saying that due to the wide gaps in early testing, the infected number could be as high as 140 million.

With the Americas now being smashed, and India and South Africa becoming a new hot spots, one wonders where and when the virus will be run to ground.

2. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

The virus is rising again it seems even in places that had Stalinesque lockdowns and have a culture of mask wearing. More sophistication is needed and Doc/scientists should admit they are struggling to understand it. The numbers in every country of people who have had it, got it, passed away with it or due to it are made up, pure guesswork.
    One day we had circa 200 deaths and Spain had 30, if we counted they way they did we would of had 50. Seems those nasty Tories missed a trick there.

3. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

No need to look at official stats. Look at the average death count over the last 5 years and compare it. They've already been lying about the real death count, reporting 1/3 less deaths than occurred, trying to report less would make us like North Korea.

4. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

back to normal here apparently by Christmas.
    we only had 114 deaths yesterday.

5,000 spectators to be let in for Glorious Goodwood, the good times are back!

5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Good of you to start your brain-dead contribution with a total contradiction: do not look at official statistics, next sentence look at the official statistics.

Have you been looking at the average death count for the last five years in any other country other than Britain? I suspect the answer is no.

Without even looking, I expect that the “excess death” count in Italy and Spain is large but uninformed idiots like you are only interested in the “blame the government/Tories” agenda. Surely we should be saying blame the life coaches for their chronically poor efforts and sack them all.

Whether SwanHills will be along in a moment to complain I am not sure as I have not used the word ‘Remoaner’ until this sentence as it was not applicable to the reply.

6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

UK weekly death rate is back at the normal average for this time of year, about 9000-10000 per since week 22

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  7. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Seems like you're the one struggling to read. The Government figures differ from the excess deaths recorded. They are higher than anywhere else in Europe. There have been several comparisons made, this coronavirus thing has been in the news quite a lot.

You're a very strange angry old man QM.

8. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Suicides could be way up, people died of heart, liver, kidney problems as treatment was scaled back, cancer treatment paused. Just a few random examples of why death rates will be up, but these people never had C19 and would of been alive if C19 had not of stalled their treatment.
    Im not saying C19 has not been a huge problem but the numbers are bollocks, pure guess work.
    Let us use the Spanish methadology for counting deaths as some here think the Tories get everything wrong anyways and we have less than 20k deaths.

9. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Of course they're not 100% accurate, doesn't mean you can ignore the extra 20k+ deaths not counted by the Government.

10. Cyclonic

Just when it looks as though some countries/cities are getting on top of things, all of a sudden the virus can again emerge with great force. Our numbers in Australia are small compared to most places around the globe, but the way the virus is moving through our society gives an indication of what's possibly on offer for other countries.

Melbourne seemed to have the problem under control but Covid has reappeared in numbers we've not seen here before. Yesterday Victoria recorded the biggest confirmed case number in Australia since the pandemic hit our shores.

Last Thursday Spain recorded it's biggest hit in two months, while on the same day, Japan went to the highest rate in three months.

The USA has now recorded 3.400,000 confirmed cases. With no social distancing restrictions in place, Florida has now become the epicentre of the pandemic in the US. 13,965 new cases recorded there in 24 hours.

If a virus had the cognitive abilities of a human being, I'm sure it would be sniggering at us.

SwanHills and rudebwoy like this.

11. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

funny that it’s the more affluent countries that seem unable or unwilling to impose restrictions that are necessary to control a pandemic , the ideological differences prevent them using collectivism , this lesson was learnt hundred years ago , sometimes fatally , but has been forgotten / ignored by the neo liberal govts .

12. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

it just shows that social distancing will have to remain for the foreseeable future.
    It is all very annoying and has huge implications from society.

my gut feeling at the start of all this was that unless there is a vaccine we won’t be able to get back to normal.
    That view hasn’t changed.

Cyclonic likes this.
  13. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

We had a texas scramble on Friday at our golf club due to clubhouse closing at 6 we arranged with landlord of local to go back to his for presentation. Everyones details were taken as was anyone else entering. Was speaking to neighbours daughter this morning she was out in Glasgow last night for a meal, they then intended going to a bar however returned home as none of the ones they intended going to were taking anyones details. So much for track and trace.

14. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

As I sit here typing, I can see about twenty people sat outside a nearby pub with virtually no distance between their tables and chairs. Social distancing has gone – it went ages ago.

You forgot to mention when the “fourteen weeks” expired that Boris had given as an original deadline but make a note of September when they were going to spend hundreds of millions getting millions of vaccine doses mass produced because that will surely come and go.

Keep living in your fantasy world waiting for a vaccine. I will be living in the real world where lockdown fatigue will make politicians powerless as people will be fed up and just go and do what they want.

15. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

seems to me that you are the one living in a fantasy world.
    I accept that at the moment with the virus in retreat the chances of catching it are very small.
    Even I might get on a train this week. However the virus hasn’t gone away, it is still just as deadly and it might well become more contagious again as we head into the autumn.

globally the number of cases continue to rise, this is not over by a long way.

rudebwoy likes this.
  16. Cyclonic

From the Washington Post.

Kentucky, Louisiana, Oregon and South Carolina all set new single-day records on Sunday, contributing to a nationwide tally of 64,650 new known cases.

Idaho, Nebraska, Iowa and five other states have seen their seven-day average for daily new fatalities rise by more than 40 percent in the past week.

More than 100 Florida hospitals have run out of ICU beds for adults. The state has reported more than 10,000 new covid-19 cases on 12 separate days this month.

Vulnerable GOP senators are facing heightened pressure as they work to craft new corona virus relief legislation in an election year. Meanwhile, President Trump said Sunday that he will not consider signing any aid bill that does not include a payroll tax cut.

Though most states are now requiring masks and recent CDC reports confirm their effectiveness, Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves (R) told CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday that he doesn’t plan to make face coverings mandatory. “If I believed that was the best way to save lives in my state, I would have done it a long time ago,” Reeves said.

Los Angeles is “on the brink” of shutting down again, Mayor Eric Garcetti (D) said Sunday. Over the past week, Los Angeles County has seen its highest number of corona virus related hospitalizations since the pandemic began.

17. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

The US don't seem to understand how important it is to socially distance to bring the virus under control.
    Again like here in the UK, very poor leadership.

18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Who said that the virus had gone away? Not me.

Chances of catching the virus were always small. The death toll is less than one per cent of the population. There are no available statistics about how many people have been asymptomatic – half the country could have had it and not known.

I said quite a while ago that it was not going away and waiting around for a vaccine (that may never arrive) will lead to total collapse of society. The London-centric media seem to be reporting quite regularly on disquiet in the nation's capital as large groups of people attend ‘raves’ that degenerate into fighting with the police – on Diane Abbott’s patch over the weekend.

Obviously your Facebook senior doctors have got you believing that coronavirus is more contagious in colder weather, which is total nonsense as I am pretty sure that it is not very cold in Brazil or South Africa. We do know that it is more likely to kill those with underlying medical conditions, especially the elderly, because we can ascertain that from studying the death statistics. Why has the US State of Florida become the place not to be? It is where a lot of Americans retire.

You can live in your masked lockdown with contactless payments for the rest of your life but the rest of the country will not be joining you.

19. Cyclonic

WW2, the Battle of Matapan. What an eye opener.

Lieutenant-Commander John Dalyell-Stead and his crew were some kind of heroes. Dalyell-Stead took his Albacore torpedo bomber to within 1000m of the pride of the Italian fleet, the Vittorio Veneto, before scoring a hit and being blasted out of the sky. All three surrendered their lives.

20. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Here's some more charts, etc., you can get your teeth into. Doesn't show the USA in such a good light as your chart? You mentioned not so long ago that the WHO was a 'corrupt' organisation? I suppose they are taking a cue from the most corrupt US President in history?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...tre_pqylmel2bk8&utm_campaign=related_articles