1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

How long before the statue of Jen Reid is floating in Bristol harbour?

No doubt the far Left anarchists of BLM will be forming a cordon around it to stop anyone from the vast majority coming and toppling it. Lewis Hamilton and a few idiot footballers will be taking a knee or wearing shirts with her name on in deference to yet another person famous for fifteen minutes.

2. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

The Donald claims the credit for everything and responsibility for nothing.

Amazing the amount of noise coming from Beijing about what is, they claim, a private technology company over which the state has no control. They will have to stick to more traditional methods of spying like sucking up to the Establishment.

Voters could have chosen the other leader in December, the one who never makes any decisions, leaving them to someone else or the collective. He does favour the policies of lots of unsuccessful dead people like Hugo Chávez because if you keep repeating the same unsuccessful idea often enough it will work eventually. Sadly only the brain-dead of the metropolises and brain-washed students voted for that lifetime loser so the job went to the other guy.

3. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

There is no logic to this whatsoever.

If face masks are going to make such a difference then why were they not introduced with immediate effect? Instead we can go without one until a week on Friday. Does this rule apply to the shop workers? If this is being done to “protect shop workers” then why are we not being protected from them? They represent perfect spreaders as they are in contact with lots of customers every day of their working week.

Why was this not done six months ago if this is such an important measure? Phrases involving stable doors come to mind. Now the infection rate is reportedly down to a few hundred a day this really is just pandering to the virtue signallers. Ironic that Boris – the man who wrote about Muslim women with face coverings back in 2018 – now wants us all covering our faces.

Was it just coincidence that on the same day as mandatory face covering in shops was announced, a report warning that a ‘second wave’ might kill 120,000 was also released? Most of the masks being worn today are scientifically ineffective but being seen to do something is what matters.

Will the Chinese still be prepared to sell us cheap face masks now that we have kicked Huawei out? :emoticon-0112-wonde

4. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

Some good news in wales , the govt just voted to make 20 mph the speed limit in urban areas , reducing from30 , this will save lots of serious injuries and some lives , while eventually changing the culture of speed on the roads .
    No doubt some petrol heads will say it’s a money making scam <doh> if so , you shouldn’t be on the road if unable to stick to a speed limit .

5. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Having lived in Bristol for many years where the mayor was instrumental in bringing in these 20 mph zones in many parts of the city, I can say based on personal experience hardly anyone will follow these new speed restrictions. It was introduced around 2014.

It just feels too slow for a car to be doing that for one, although it will be interesting to hear if this is enforced in the valleys. The police gave up on this in Bristol after an initial purge to do so.

20 mph zones around schools make sense. Outside this, don't feel it is needed in urban areas. It was quite unpopular in the city of Bristol also and many were opposed to it.

6. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

Well , had it on our estate for a number of years , it’s mostly adhered to, it’s definitely popular , and will be enforced in the entire country , no point in doing it piecemeal , all or nothing .
    Feels too slow for a car you say , ever been hit by a car doing 20 mph ? feels frigging fast then !

Once it becomes the norm , it will make all peoples lives that bit less nervous , more relaxed .

7. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

They have been introduced in most other countries much earlier.
    Germany for example introduced this in April.

As I have been saying all along we have a clueless right wing imbecile running the country.
    Not really surprising that he has been slow to react yet again.

Johnson has had to follow the lead of the more dynamic leaders like Angela Merkel and Nicola Sturgeon.

I agree that infection rates are lower now but it is good that everyone gets used to wearing a mask ahead of the flu season, which when mixed in with COVID is likely to generate a deadly second wave this winter.

8. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

School children are more likely to not look before running into the road as teaching road safety to young pedestrians does not seem to be considered a priority these days as most of them are in the cars on the school run.

I have no sympathy for adults who cannot be bothered to stop, look and listen. Most should survive a collision at 30mph and the other few are Darwinism collateral damage.

9. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

You can wear a mask all winter. I will not be wearing one. Not bothered about flu or WuFlu. 120,000 is still only 0.18 per cent of the population and wearing a mask will not make either go away. 120,000 will destroy the NHS, perpetual lockdown will lead to shortages, civil unrest and the total collapse of society. Doom-mongers paradise.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  10. CaptainPops

25000 deaths in India and yesterday 34000 newly reported cases. It seems like Coronavirus is taking hold in this country and with massive population clusters and poor living conditions this isn't a massive surprise.

I wouldn't be confident on the accuracy of the number of deaths reported also. Just don't think we are getting the true numbers. The death total could be far worse...

This applies to a lot of countries..no way will you get the accurate death toll in countries like Yemen, Syria, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq etc. You d be lucky to find a hospital in some of those countries let alone have some sort of system in place to count the number of deaths..

11. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Would have put a like to your post Pops, but with so grave a situation, it didn't seem right. I agree with everything you had to say though. :emoticon-0148-yes:

CaptainPops likes this.
  12. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

I agree too, good post by Pops. <ok>

CaptainPops and Cyclonic like this.
  13. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

yes you live in one of them.
    officially in the UK there are "only" 45,000 dead but everyone knows that the true figure is a lot higher.

rudebwoy likes this.
  14. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

you have obviously mastered online shopping better than me then. well done.
    you will need to have done because from next Friday you won't be going in a shop without one all winter.

I think a no deal Brexit will lead to worse shortages to be honest. Did you realise that 75% of medications in this country have to be imported ?
    I doubt very much everyone continuing working from home will lead to civil unrest. Most of us quite enjoy it.
    There is a concern for those who lose their jobs though. Maybe they won't be so quick to vote Conservative again in the future.

15. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

This BLM nonsense is getting beyond ridiculous, with the political correctness, woke virtue signalling BBC not even prepared to mention the name of Wing Commander Guy Gibson’s dog “Nigger” in this article about the replacement of the headstone on the dog’s grave at RAF Scampton.

Dambusters dog: Headstone replaced to remove racist name

The RAF station is scheduled for closure (the Red Arrows are moving to Waddington) but a village in the middle of nowhere in Lincolnshire is hardly comparable to a prominent site in the middle of London; and most of these leftist anarchists would never have heard of it if the RAF had not unilaterally done its part to airbrush history.

I guess the BBC will not be showing ‘The Dam Busters’ film as editing out the black labrador would be a bit difficult.

16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

By “everyone” you obviously mean left-wing nutters like you that refuse to accept the official figures produced by the Office for National Statistics (ONS), the non-governmental organisation that does the statistics year after year. People die, a death certificate is issued and the ONS counts them. You forgot to blame Boris.

CaptainPops likes this.
  17. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I have been doing ‘online shopping’ since the days when it required sending the retailer an email with your order and then phoning them up with the credit card details.
    Next Friday I will go to the supermarket with a scarf wrapped across the lower half of my face. That constitutes a face covering. When I leave the store, I will take it off.

If you are going to go into another of your Remainer whinges about imported medicines I would have referred you to my previous rebuttal of that nonsense; however, that thread has been deleted and there is really no point trying to explain to seasoned Remoaners like you.

If all the people who used to commute to London continue to work at home in their isolated bubbles, the very fabric of society will break down and London will become a half-empty property speculators paradise. All those lost jobs would have been lost irrespective of the colour of government but that does not fit with your left wing nutter world view. It has to be the Tories. rudebwoy will be along shortly to agree with you. It was not a case of people voting Conservative but people not voting Marxist: the Conservative share of the vote only increased by 1 per cent while the Labour share fell by nearly 8. A good measure of the quality of government ought to be the quality of the opposition, but it is totally bereft of any quality or ability, overrun with Trots and Militants.

18. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Now, now, QMII, this is the last of the "Discuss Anything Else"-type threads, and if you continue in this vein, with certain words, that is, it will be closed-down for sure. You really should try the General Chat thread, you would get more than you bargained for on that one. I know you won't transfer over to that, but what the hell, don't know what to recommend any more, and, no, I will not move over to the General Chat thread myself!

19. CaptainPops

Disagree with that statement about EVERYONE knowing that the true figure is higher. You like to believe that our figures are a lot higher and most other countries figures are accurate. This is because it suits your blame the government agenda.

The reality is that if you looked at it with a bit of an objective view, that many countries out in the big wide world are not reporting Covid related deaths accurately or as we would do in the U.K. I.e no reporting of care home deaths, deaths caused by Covid and something else not reported as Covid related like we would do here.

20. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

The Tory apologist is back <laugh>

How do you explain the excess deaths then? Did people just randomly start dying?